Speculation: Firesale?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Do you want us to sell bigtime and what return do you want?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I am kind of surprised with how productive some guys stats are this season even with the poor start.

If they played 82gp: (I know this is already impossible for some guys listed)
Guentzel 71
Letang 68
ERod 56
Kapanen 51
Marino 41
Heinen 41

Also no need to tell me anything about small sample size or how they will get injured or how they won’t finish with these totals or that we still suck.

I think you forgot to carry the 1 with Letang there.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
I am kind of surprised with how productive some guys stats are this season even with the poor start.

If they played 82gp: (I know this is already impossible for some guys listed)
Guentzel 71
Letang 68
ERod 56
Kapanen 51
Marino 41
Heinen 41

Also no need to tell me anything about small sample size or how they will get injured or how they won’t finish with these totals or that we still suck.

That wascally Erod always finding himself in the middle of these situations.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
It's a matter of time before the franchise needs to do so. With that said, they can't simply get rid of players like Letang and Geno unless they refuse contract extension in the next few weeks and we are pretty much out of contention come February. In that case, yes I would rather sell than end up losing them for nothing and make the rebuild/retool process that much longer.

The Habs think they can easily get a 1st + for Ben Chariot, can't imagine the return a Letang would get us!!

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I was one of the few cautioning against the Marino contract. It's a risk to hand out that kind of contract to someone who's only played 56 games. It might have been a risk worth taking at the time after how good he was in his rookie year, but still a risk. I'd absolutely trade him if they could get good value, but at the same time, I'm not ready to bury him. He's only 24, essentially only in his second year in terms of games played, and being asked to play nearly 23min a night. They need to figure something else out for 3RD so that they can even out the ice time a little. If you've got a 1A/1B type of top 4 and ride them that hard, fine, but that's not the Pens. They've got a top pair, 3 middle/bottom pairing tweeners, and a guy best suited as a #7.

And oh yeah, they are as bad of a mix as the forward group and overpaid. Thanks, JR.

Reactions: Night Shift

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
If they are truly out of it at the deadline, I think they should flip Carter and most of the under-30 complimentary guys; Guentzel, Rust, Dumoulin, ZAR, etc.

As for Letang and Malkin, if they're willing to risk being on a bad team for a few years to get a feel-good "retire with Sid" moment down the line, I think they may as well be re-signed, within reason. If they want to play on a real contender or get paid max value, let 'em go. They've more than earned the right to choose their destiny.

As for the return, I think guys like Guentzel and Dumoulin who still have years left on their contracts could return legitimately good prospects. I don't expect much more than picks for the UFAs, although Rust might be good enough to get a first rounder from the right team.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
If they are truly out of it at the deadline, I think they should flip Carter and most of the under-30 complimentary guys; Guentzel, Rust, Dumoulin, ZAR, etc.

As for Letang and Malkin, if they're willing to risk being on a bad team for a few years to get a feel-good "retire with Sid" moment down the line, I think they may as well be re-signed, within reason. If they want to play on a real contender or get paid max value, let 'em go. They've more than earned the right to choose their destiny.

As for the return, I think guys like Guentzel and Dumoulin who still have years left on their contracts could return legitimately good prospects. I don't expect much more than picks for the UFAs, although Rust might be good enough to get a first rounder from the right team.

What would the cost be on a 50% retained Blueger?

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
What would the cost be on a 50% retained Blueger?

If Blueger keeps up his current pace I don't see why they would retain on such a low cost player.

Right now you're talking a 2nd + 4th/5th with no retention.

What would you give up more for them to eat 1.1 for this season and next?

Me, personally, have my doubts about him, but the numbers say differently, for now.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Why would the Pens even move Blueger? If they're selling they'd move out vets, not a young center that they went out of their way to protect in the expansion draft.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
If Blueger keeps up his current pace I don't see why they would retain on such a low cost player.

Me, personally, have my doubts about him, but the numbers say differently, for now.

I doubt Blueger only returns a 2nd. Perfect third line center that can eat major defensive minutes and score at a 35 point pace on a cheap contract would be worth a ton to teams like Toronto, Edmonton, etc.

He’s definitely in that Goodrow, Coleman archetype.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo

Likely a first straight up, maybe a little more. As mentioned below the Coleman/Goodrow type that gives you a + level top nine player for replacement level/ call up money would be huge.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Why would the Pens even move Blueger? If they're selling they'd move out vets, not a young center that they went out of their way to protect in the expansion draft.

I wouldn't say he's young and I think the idea behind protecting Blu was more position based- they knew Sid/Geno were going to be out to start the season. So better to lose a Winger or a D in the draft.

Not saying he's a bad player, but he's not capable of being more than a 3C so if you're selling off, yeah he'd be a trade chip.

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh

if they are out of it at the trade deadline, they should be moving Malkin & Letang with a huge sense of urgency. You can still flip one of Guentzel, Rust, or Dumoulin, but the top 2 would need to go to being the rebuild.

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
if they are out of it at the trade deadline, they should be moving Malkin & Letang with a huge sense of urgency. You can still flip one of Guentzel, Rust, or Dumoulin, but the top 2 would need to go to being the rebuild.

I disagree. If Malkin and Letang legitimately want to come back and are willing to do so relatively cheaply, I would not force them out to initiate the next Penguins dark age. If they want to get traded, or know the Pens won't offer them the kind of salary they want on their next contracts, then sure, blow it up now. But I'm in no hurry to watch this team take its place among true bottom feeders. It will happen when it happens.

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh
I disagree. If Malkin and Letang legitimately want to come back and are willing to do so relatively cheaply, I would not force them out to initiate the next Penguins dark age. If they want to get traded, or know the Pens won't offer them the kind of salary they want on their next contracts, then sure, blow it up now. But I'm in no hurry to watch this team take its place among true bottom feeders. It will happen when it happens.

Neither Malkin or Letang are taking hometown discounts. Why should they? They have one more chance to get a big pay check & they already won their rings.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I feel like some people are going to be downright disappointed or even mad when one or both sign for another 2-3 years... at least one of the two at a likely discount on their last contract.

And that's kinda sad.

Kristopher Letang

RIP Nipsey
Mar 7, 2013
Montréal, QC
Letang answered some questions in french this week about Montreal and the Pens future… it ain’t looking good :(

"I want the pressure on my shoulders, I want to be the person who performs for his team. It brings the best of me, he said. There are different types of personality. Guys like to play in a market where people don't recognize them in restaurants and where the media pressure doesn't exist. There aren't 100 people there to ask questions after the games and analyze all the actions of the players. Others like the spotlight. Me, I like the hockey markets, the pressure."

"I spent my career with the Penguins, they gave me my chance, helped me get through all the hardships in my life. I had the support of our two owners, Mario Lemieux and Ron Burkle. I have a strong relationship with a number of players, including Crosby. But if I have to sit down and think that hockey is a business, that anything can happen and that one day, the Penguins will decide to rebuild and let go of the old dead wood, it is sure that the Canadiens - I come from Montreal, I was born here - would be in the interesting choices"

"It's hard to imagine yourself in another jersey when you've been wearing the same one for 15 years, but if you told me tomorrow morning that the Penguins didn't want me anymore, then if I had to give you a top 3 or top 4 teams to choose, it is sure that the Canadiens would be one of the teams"

Source: Kristopher Letang ne fermera jamais la porte au Canadien

Letang is probably going to ask for a full NTC or leave.

Last edited:
Reactions: EightyOne

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Letang's the guy I've been worried will walk. That's why I want him dealt. Get something since he's going to test the FA market one way or another.

Reactions: Night Shift

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Speaking of Malkin (sorta) I haven't noticed any updates recently.

Has he been upgraded to skating around chairs, yet?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad