Fire Shanahan/Dubas (Yay or Nay)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Fire Shanahan/Dubas?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
They made the playoffs in only 1 out of 12 consecutive seasons and now they've made it 5 years in a row under this management. I've seen some really bad teams in Toronto, I'd hate to revert to cellar dweller. But, I am frustrated with the team and management right now. I think I'd be too scared to change it up.
Maybe they should have traded Kessel and tanked. He was a 1 man team for his entire tenure here, good enough to prevent you from getting the superstars in the top 5, good enough to almost get you in the playoffs, almost.

Don't let the past affect your future. The Leafs are on more than an even playing field with the rest of the league. With their money, they have a big advantage over most teams. Their disadvantage is in the people they keep hiring to run the team.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Leafs are running this revolutionary new system of running the organization - no accountability, no feelings hurt.

Like how dare you as a fan ever demand any meaningful changes to an organization that has made choking an annual tradition.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Who ever votes yes, you are the problem. Pick another team and just go away

Wait. Why am I a problem? I should be grateful for failures?

It's not just wins and losses either. We can't cheer for the salary structures or future prospects.

Are we as fans not cheering enough for the salary cap?

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Yes. A marner trade brings in a few top prospects on elc contracts for the new few seasons and frees up 10m in cap space to add real depth.

Wrong. Adding 2 players for 1 will not get us close to what it takes to win.

It's a pipedream if fans believe that all TOR needs is a good Ole Marner trade.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017

What are your suggestions to get the team in the right direction?

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
I’m all for a marner trade, but if you think matthews is sticking around if that happens, your dreaming. Matthews having 3 yrs left on his deal is an issue, and so if you trade marner, I think you have to trade matthews as well, unless your happy to let him walk in 3 years time.

3blizzard4

Mar 29, 2021
Toronto
As always we value our players for far more than they are worth.

Cliff Fletcher traded Wendel when he was GOD in this town for a rookie from Quebec.

Teams with far less talent are deeper in the playoffs. They dont have a Marner or a Matthews. They have a team of players.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
That wouldn't be all but it sure opens up possibilities

So much has to happen this offseason though:

A better coach.

Healthy Tavares.

Our Prospects need to play really well and fill in.

Hit on UFAs.

Expansion draft success (if Kerfoot gets picked up then he'll need to be replaced).

I just can't believe that TOR is a Marner trade away from going deep.

Sadly it's not re-tool time time with Dubas. He has used his bullets already and mortgaged the future.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Leafs are running this revolutionary new system of running the organization - no accountability, no feelings hurt.

Like how dare you as a fan ever demand any meaningful changes to an organization that has made choking an annual tradition.

Silver lining for me is it's a good thing. If Leafs had won and next season when teh divisions go back to the old ones and leafs find it hard to make the playoffs dubas would have gotten a pass.

may be hockey gods do care.... they know this management team is a JOKE and should be FIRED for the betterment of the Leafs

Reactions: IPS

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
I’m all for a marner trade, but if you think matthews is sticking around if that happens, your dreaming. Matthews having 3 yrs left on his deal is an issue, and so if you trade marner, I think you have to trade matthews as well, unless your happy to let him walk in 3 years time.
I don't think the Leaf mgmt should give a crap about whose buddies with who. If AM wants to.leave so be it

Reactions: Cpt Maple Leaf

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I don't think the Leaf mgmt should give a crap about whose buddies with who. If AM wants to.leave so be it

Exactly.

Matthews walks or gets to keep his BFF on the team so they can keep choking in the playoffs. If this is the truth, this entitlement culture is f***ed beyond belief.

Reactions: Cpt Maple Leaf

GQS

Aug 2, 2005

As much as the pain of going out in the first round again and doing so in a horrible way really hurts, can people relax and take a breath? Marner is still a very good player and if there's a really good deal for him then sure trade him, but otherwise why not keep him and see if he doesn't improve in the next year or two before saying he needs to go after a bad playoffs this season?

Does everyone not remember just a year or two ago after Nylander was struggling everyone was calling him an overpaid bum that asked for big money but couldn't perform? Now after a good season with a good playoff performance all of a sudden people like him again and think he's good value for his contract. Imagine if we traded him when he was doing poorly, unless we got a kings ransom for him we'd probably be regretting that trade now.

So if we see that players can get better if given the chance like we did with Nylander, why not give Mitch that chance as well and see if he can't get better in the next year or two? If not you can always trade him then. I'd rather give him time and see if he can't improve than trade him now and see him get better elsewhere.

Also why do people keep saying Matthews is gone at the end of his contract? To me it seems like as long as the Leafs are still competitive and MLSE is willing to open the vault for him to get him resigned, then chances are that he probably stays.

Reactions: ToneDog

killer1980

Sep 15, 2014
Kirkland Lake
Credit to Shanahan as he did say guys are going to have to sacrifice but so far the core are not sacrificing whether that's on the ice or off (salaries).

C'mon they had to give up a lot of their Saturday nights. Poor Mitch didn't get to hang out with his friends. To those Generation Whatevers those were major sacrifices. What they did on the ice to them was irrelevant.

killer1980

Sep 15, 2014
Kirkland Lake
why do people keep saying Matthews is gone at the end of his contract?
Taxes baby, to these Generation Whatevers it is all about the money. He would be paying 1/3 to 1/4 less taxes in the U.S. He is also an American. We, as Canadians, are stuck with the questionable decisions our leaders make. He has to be disgusted by what has gone on here. If he had been in the States, he would have been free to move around maskless for quite some time.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013

Not wrong.
Maybe not right. You don’t know for sure. It depends how it’s restructured, it depends on how money free can obtain better quality depth. You don’t know.

I can bet you that a team doesn’t need Mitch Marner or even Connor McDavid to win the Cup.
It needs balance, depth, players that can exceed their cap hit, defense, grit, etc.

Remember when Colorado traded Stastny,Duchene,O’Reilly. Remember when every Leaf fan wanted to trade for them?
Try telling them back then they will need to change the core. Sometimes a change can take you on a new direction. Others step up, replace, balance, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lumberg

17 Clark

Mar 22, 2015
Lol burke traded away futures, nonis did absolutely crap and Lou was meh.... Shanny has literally brought this team from absolutely nothing to playoff team wit all star young players. Dubas has done an amazing job. Now cause our top player didnt show up for 7 games, we should fire our gm n president? What is wrong with you people!!!! Like stop the bitchin n making this fan base a joke..... Our core isnf even in their primes and we all. Here panicking. This fanbase is so dam childish
If the fan base is silly What would you consider yourself you are beyond silly keep drinking the blue Kool-Aid this is Kyle dubious writing this

egd27

exspecta usque ad proximum annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA

He's going anyway. In 4 seasons from now all that will be left from Kid Kyle's expensive signings is Marner (rubbing his hands as he enters his UFA year) and a 34 year old JT.

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
He's going anyway. In 4 seasons from now all that will be left from Kid Kyle's expensive signings is Marner (rubbing his hands as he enters his UFA year) and a 34 year old JT.
Maybe he stays, maybe he goes, but this thought of making player moves to keep him happy is exactly the type of entitled spoil brats that Dubas has created. You don't like it? Don't let the door hit you on the butt on the way out.

Reactions: egd27

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I don't buy the narrative of Matthews bolting to free agency for a number of reasons.

-First of all, not a lot of teams in competitive situations will be able to cleave $12 million or whatever it is to fit Matthews in while keeping their winning recipe intact. So it's simply financial.

-Second, if in three years, Matthews fails to get over the first round hump or build a playoff track record, he will be a 27 year old chronic non big game player. So much of that early career potential will have been wasted.

-Third, Matthews leaving the marquee franchise that is essentially his team to "Taylor Hall" it somewhere else would be a admission of failure as a franchise changing player.

-Fourth, if we let some combination of the Big 4 walk we will have ton of cap space flexibility to remake the franchise. Obviously you don't want to get to that point and hope we can make serious inroads to a championship, but that cap space is a massive asset in and of itself. If we are mired in so much failure, we'll be happy to sign those divorce papers.

Reactions: Menzinger
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad