Proposal: Fire sell Habs

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
I know everybody wants habs for free. with 100% retention of contracts,
yeah there are some cheap offers on the go for sure . i especially like the ones where we give up romanov because he wouldn't fit the rebuild

RickyLafleur

Fall of Pierre
Oct 17, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Armia: Cap dump. Montreal will have to sweeten the pot with a pick.

Gallagher: Teams still likely value him. I could see Vancouver making a good offer to him to "change the culture" on the Canucks. Habs probably taking Tyler Myers back so Vancouver can fit him.

Petry: Terrible season, absolutely horrible, but he's a well respected RD that fits perfect as a second pair guy. Would get major offers and Montreal wouldn't have to take a cap dump back.

Toffoli: He isn't on fire like last season but he also isn't terrible stat wise. Would get a pretty good offer. No cap dump in return. Easily get a first.

Hoffman: Injuries, you just signed him, might be tough to move and get value back. Teams will want to get him at a discount.

Chariot: 2nd round pick probably. Good deadline deal.

Lekhonen: Never met his potential, still an RFA, makes too much, Montreal would probably be eating 50% in a deadline trade. Maybe a 3rd or 4th if lucky.

Dvorak: Only 25, signed for a few more years, could see him thrive on a team like the Blues or Sharks. Maybe Bonino and a pick?

Price: He plays a few games, still looks great, someone will pay a great price for him. I know 99% of HFBoards people won't, but 0% of them are NHL GM's and the hockey world still respects Carey regardless of price tag. Several teams would make big offers to get him if he's available, though the cap hit would likely make adding a third team to the deal necessary just to make space. I'm thinking Price to the Avalanche in the summer when they have the money available, maybe a stash of picks and prospects including Justin Barron, with more if the Habs retain.

Seattle could've taken him for free, not sure where you think he could realistically end up in a trade.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Seattle could've taken him for free, not sure where you think he could realistically end up in a trade.

You mean the guy who hasn't played an NHL game since the Cup final and Seattle definitely looked into his health? And also the team assembled under the cap by 10 million?

Let's just say stuff without context. Pretty fun for a hockey board.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
yeah there are some cheap offers on the go for sure . i especially like the ones where we give up romanov because he wouldn't fit the rebuild

If, uh, Romanov were available I think the Oilers would be interested. Can't see why he would be, but right now Edmonton is a bit short on defense.

RickyLafleur

Fall of Pierre
Oct 17, 2013
Ottawa, ON
You mean the guy who hasn't played an NHL game since the Cup final and Seattle definitely looked into his health? And also the team assembled under the cap by 10 million?

Let's just say stuff without context. Pretty fun for a hockey board.
I guess Price is never gonna play again? Thanks Dr Subban.

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
Something like Hoffman [50% retention] for Ritchie, Abramov [decent 20yr old center prospect] , 2nd rounder?

Habs will probably ask for more, Leafs won't want to spend this much on a gamble. Could see Hoffman excel on Leafs PP as a one timer option

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
If, uh, Romanov were available I think the Oilers would be interested. Can't see why he would be, but right now Edmonton is a bit short on defense.
yeah he's not unless bouchard is coming the other way so let's just end it there

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
Something like Hoffman [50% retention] for Ritchie, Abramov [decent 20yr old center prospect] , 2nd rounder?

Habs will probably ask for more, Leafs won't want to spend this much on a gamble. Could see Hoffman excel on Leafs PP as a one timer option
pretty sure if hoffman was open to a move that that offer would be beaten easily .

Reactions: Habs Halifax

euhchepas

Jan 16, 2015

I wouldn't do it without the retention. Montreal doesn't get anything interesting in the deal

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
You are demonstrably wrong. Geoff Molson said yesterday that he isn't afraid of a rebuild and neither are the fans. He used the exact word "rebuild". You have no idea what you are talking about.
There isn't currently a rebuild and isn't going to be one . Talk your fantasy trades with someone else .

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
w
There isn't currently a rebuild and isn't going to be one . Talk your fantasy trades with someone else .
why are you so adamant that their will not be a rebuild . anyone who cannot see the writing on the wall that this year is shot needs therapeutic help . any attempt to get back in it this year will only result in a top ten pick becoming a 24-30 pick . a two year tank job to acquire a couple top 5 picks and unload dead weight cap would do wonders for this team

Gaud

May 11, 2017
Ok so am i the only one that thinks that Price doesnt have negative value?
what if the habs retain or a capdump comes back?

This makes no sense to me; the guy litterally takes the habs to the finals on his shoulders. Then he misses the first quarter of the season and it is painfully obvious that the team is nothing without him. How can anyone think that wont raise interest?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

This makes no sense to me; the guy litterally takes the habs to the finals on his shoulders. Then he misses the first quarter of the season and it is painfully obvious that the team is nothing without him. How can anyone think that wont raise interest?

At $10.5M, it's very difficult to move Price. But at $5.25M (50% retention), he has way more value than most will admit on HF boards. If the Habs are willing to retain a substantial amount and also be willing to take back a 1 or 2 year cap dumb, his value is very high and that type of move by the Habs would draw a lot of interest.

He also needs to get healthy and play hockey again. That will come.

Reactions: pth2

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I'm glad all you armchair GMs are trading every player, either dreaming of steals or golden returns.

IT'S NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.

To Hab fans....you can't rip a team apart and expecta pile of rookies to magically grow into contenders. Pure fantasy.

To other fans...you won't get free asset value from the Habs. Maybe Santa will give that to you.

What will likely happen is a trade for Chiarot and maybe another forward. It won't be a giveaway and you won't like the cost.

So carry on.....

Reactions: Rob Sense

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
At $10.5M, it's very difficult to move Price. But at $5.25M (50% retention), he has way more value than most will admit on HF boards. If the Habs are willing to retain a substantial amount and also be willing to take back a 1 or 2 year cap dumb, his value is very high and that type of move by the Habs would draw a lot of interest.

It doesn't work that way.

There has to be a cost benefit calculation and frankly, it's not a good one for Price. If you trade him and retain half his salary, you also have to factor that it will cost you 5 million or more to get another goalie. So effectively you achieved NO cost saving and while you hope that mediocre return is golden, it won't be. Plus good luck finding that high quality goaltender to replace him.

If we had a youngster ready to go then the calculation slides to the other side and you trade him.

Trades are not simple or happen in a vacuum. .

Gaud

May 11, 2017

Yeah i agree with this; retention makes sense in a way but i see it more as a "give us your #1 goalie and we retain the difference in salary" kin dof deal, with pieces to make it worth the Hab's while. judging by some posts here, Price's carreer is done if the habs dont want him anymore.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
It doesn't work that way.

There has to be a cost benefit calculation and frankly, it's not a good one for Price. If you trade him and retain half his salary, you also have to factor that it will cost you 5 million or more to get another goalie. So effectively you achieved NO cost saving and while you hope that mediocre return is golden, it won't be. Plus good luck finding that high quality goaltender to replace him.

If we had a youngster ready to go then the calculation slides to the other side and you trade him.

Trades are not simple or happen in a vacuum. .

1) Price at 50% retention or substantial retention is how we are able to move him to a contending team where they can fit him in. Trying to trade him at full cap hit is almost impossible... especially in years where there is a flat gap growth while the NHLPA pays off their outstanding balance to the owners.

2) I don't care about the savings if we are rebuilding and heading with a youth roster for several years while we rebuild. We don't need cap space in those years. Just extend Allen or sign another bridge gap goalie to play with Primeau.

3) "I hope for a Golden Return". That's your assumption where you tried to quote me on it which is flawed comprehension. I would expect a late 1st and Grade A/B prospect though (not playing in the NHL yet).

4) Trades are not simple or happen in a vacuum. Sure, I agree. Didn't say it would be simple. Once again, your making assumptions and trying to hold me to it. Go somewhere else with that BS flawed comprehension spin.

Here is a trade example I feel that the Oilers would be open to and the Habs get solid value to help start the rebuild (not a golden return):
* Price (Retention down to $6M +/-). I would consider full 50% retention... $5.25M
* Montembeault (if the Oilers wanted a cheap back-up to replace sending Koskinen/Smith the other way for cap reasons).
for
* Koskinen (Pending UFA... cap reasons)
* Smith (cap reasons.. Oilers can retain him if they prefer. Up to the Oilers)
* 1st round pick (likely 20+ range)
* Holloway (Fringe grade A prospect)
* Lavoie (Grade B or B+ type)

I would not ask the Oilers to trade any young current roster player (like Bouchard & Broberg). A very complicated deal but a platform to review and discuss further. Is this a "golden" return for you? :sarcasm:

Habs Cap Hits in:
* $5.25M for 4 years with Price
* $4.5M for Koskinen for the rest of the season
* $2.2M for Smith for this season and next (if the Oilers wanted to send that contract for cap reasons)
* -$750k for Montembeault
Total: $11.2M. No problem for the Habs to fit that in for the rest of the season. In the following season, it would be $10.325M for retention on Price, Allen, and Smith. Less salary than what we are paying this year for Price and Allen. We are not going to extend Koskinen.

Oilers Cap Hits in:

* $5.25M for Price
* $750k for Montembeault
Total: $6M. Creates a little wiggle room to go after other deadline depth moves. A healthy Price gives the Oilers a better shot at a cup which is why I have identified the Oilers as a potential trade partner. Would they like trading a late 1st, Holloway, and Lavoie? Probably not but Habs also are not desperate to move Price at 50% retention and give the Oilers a chance at a cup for free.

As a Habs fan, I feel this type of deal works for both teams. I would like to see the Oilers bring the cup back to Canada and Price helps them with that no doubt in my mind! I'd make a move like this if the Oilers can swallow that futures price. I would not consider that a golden return but I do believe it's a fair return and addresses cap issues which has to be part of the trade package in order to make it work for the Oilers in their cup run years.

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Yeah i agree with this; retention makes sense in a way but i see it more as a "give us your #1 goalie and we retain the difference in salary" kin dof deal, with pieces to make it worth the Hab's while. judging by some posts here, Price's carreer is done if the habs dont want him anymore.

Price needs to get healthy and plan games again. That's coming here shortly. That has to happen first before any serious trade discussions start. The type of deal I can see the Oilers being open to is in the post above (post 198). A lot of context provided in that post but I'll narrow it down to just the platform of the deal to talk about further....

* Price (Retention down to $6M +/-). I would consider full 50% retention... $5.25M
* Montembeault (if the Oilers wanted a cheap back-up to replace sending Koskinen/Smith the other way for cap reasons).
for
* Koskinen (Pending UFA... cap reasons)
* Smith (cap reasons.. Oilers can retain him if they prefer. Up to the Oilers)
* 1st round pick (likely 20+ range)
* Holloway (Fringe grade A prospect)
* Lavoie (Grade B or B+ type)

Would you consider a late 1st, Holloway, and Lavoie a return we can live with? :dunno:. Price is not done but it requires him to play games again and show that he is healthy and ready to go. I don't care about others trying to say he is done. He's not. Look at his playoff stats over the last two years. He's still a game changer in net (when healthy) and anybody with a brain knows it. Team Canada management pretty much said if Price is healthy, he is on the team. The question is not ability or substantial decline, it's about health. Trying to point out his regular season numbers is ignorance in terms of how the Habs team D has exposed him with high danger shots over and over again. The difference in the last two playoff runs was the Habs focused on playing better D in front of him which shows

Price at 50% is a serious pitch for the Habs to the Oilers. Gives them a real shot at a cup and they will not ignore this trade platform. I stand firm on that and I'm sure McDavid and Drai agree with me. This is not about the Habs dumping Price. It's about getting some futures in return while we give Price a shot at a cup in another city cause it's not happening in Montreal at this stage.

Last edited:

V13

Score First , Grind Hard , No Mercy
Sep 21, 2005

That's what negative value means ;)

It means that you have to either retain , take a bad contract back or give a pick to trade the player . Positive value would mean trading Price for assets without having to do any of these things

I for one do believe the Habs would have to retain if they trade Price. The guy was indeed stellar and conn smythe worthy in the last playoffs but this is not about what he can still bring on the ice but more about his big money contract and the years left on them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad