Proposal: Fire sell Habs

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
The Guy has 2 points on the year and you need to replace those minutes. Was thinking a change of scenery for both would be good. Myers is 2 years younger. We can retain some salary.

Petry literally had a career year last season. Myers contract didn't even make sense when he was a Free Agent. There's basically no chance Montreal does that. Come on.

Omar

Oct 10, 2017
it would be a huge error to trade toffoli or hoffman without their wanting a move . your ability to lure future free agents will take a serious kick in the n.../ start with chariot and kulak at 50 % retained. next year drouin and byron at 50 % . settle the nashville situation with weber . anyone wishing to go to a contender accommodate them . save all cap space for two years for huberdeau (ufa), and offer sheet bouchard
Toffoli will be 30 in the new year. Buh bye.
Hoffman is 30+. Get rid of him too.

Anyone over 30 needs to go

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012

signing future free agents will get a lot harder . hoffman was only signed 4 months ago . both guys are on very cheap contracts and can be traded next year or the year after .

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

Not really interested in trading Toffoli unless its a good deal. He's still a good player, his game should age well and he's on a great contract. Hoffman can go, I'm still not entirely sure what his fit was in the first place. He's a pure trigger man on a team with no one to set him up.

Reactions: Archijerej

Omar

Oct 10, 2017
signing future free agents will get a lot harder . hoffman was only signed 4 months ago . both guys are on very cheap contracts and can be traded next year or the year after .
For what purpose? Montreal is going through a rebuild, why keep them around? Future free agents consider the state of the team.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
For what purpose? Montreal is going through a rebuild, why keep them around? Future free agents consider the state of the team.
I think he has a good point, that trading recently signed UFAs is a good way to make others reconsider signing here. That doesn't mean it can't be done, but ideally it should be done while checking in with the player about his thoughts on the matter.

Say Toffoli or Hoffman only wanted to sign in Canada, or only in the East, well, then you move them somewhere they are likely to be happy. I remember a trade where a popular player was moved, and it was generally explained as a "soft landing" and not just maximizing assets.

GMs who treat their players like actual human beings usually get some level of loyalty.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
I think he has a good point, that trading recently signed UFAs is a good way to make others reconsider signing here. That doesn't mean it can't be done, but ideally it should be done while checking in with the player about his thoughts on the matter.

Say Toffoli or Hoffman only wanted to sign in Canada, or only in the East, well, then you move them somewhere they are likely to be happy. I remember a trade where a popular player was moved, and it was generally explained as a "soft landing" and not just maximizing assets.

GMs who treat their players like actual human beings usually get some level of loyalty.
Maybe, I suppose it depends how you approach the player/agent.
If he doesn't have a clause but you ask him if he wants to move to X or Y team and he's open to it, I don't think it would create a negative precedent.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
If he doesn't have a clause but you ask him if he wants to move to X or Y team and he's open to it, I don't think it would create a negative precedent.
Oh, for sure. But it means a GM can't just call the guy and tell him out of the blue "you're traded to X".

For Chiaot it's a compltely different situation, but I always figured UFAs in the first half of their contracts had a semi-informal NTC, otherwise it would become hard to convince UFAs to choose the team (ie, they'd only come if it's the largest salary, since they'll consider they'll possibly be traded anyways)

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
Funny, I read this thread title as

Fire! Sell, Habs
and my first though was, how would selling the Habs prevent or put out a fire?

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
no it wouldn't if they were in favour of it . toffoli and cat may like the idea of returning to LA for example. on the other hand if you were to sign a free agent who moved the family here and all of a sudden you trade him for a draft pick after a couple months you will be hurting your ability to sign future agents . this is guaranteed.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
Slim pickings on the Habs this year.

If you are looking for a pending UFA, or a bargain deal that doesn't help the Habs, then yes, it's slim pickings outside Chiarot.

If, however, you wish to make an honest offer for a player who under different circumstances wouldn't be available, then there's a lot to choose from.

What would Anderson cost. I know you want to keep him but just curious what he would cost.

I don't want to keep him. Who's asking?

What would be the cost for Hoffman. Debrusk and a prospect/ pick

Done.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
Question, would the Habs be theoretically interested in retaining 50% on Toffoli if we dangled Jakob Pelletier or something?

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
Question, would the Habs be theoretically interested in retaining 50% on Toffoli if we dangled Jakob Pelletier or something?
I doubt we are looking to move Toffoli, much less with a retention. Our front office would have to be really, really high on Pelletier for this to happen.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Armia: Cap dump. Montreal will have to sweeten the pot with a pick.

Gallagher: Teams still likely value him. I could see Vancouver making a good offer to him to "change the culture" on the Canucks. Habs probably taking Tyler Myers back so Vancouver can fit him.

Petry: Terrible season, absolutely horrible, but he's a well respected RD that fits perfect as a second pair guy. Would get major offers and Montreal wouldn't have to take a cap dump back.

Toffoli: He isn't on fire like last season but he also isn't terrible stat wise. Would get a pretty good offer. No cap dump in return. Easily get a first.

Hoffman: Injuries, you just signed him, might be tough to move and get value back. Teams will want to get him at a discount.

Chariot: 2nd round pick probably. Good deadline deal.

Lekhonen: Never met his potential, still an RFA, makes too much, Montreal would probably be eating 50% in a deadline trade. Maybe a 3rd or 4th if lucky.

Dvorak: Only 25, signed for a few more years, could see him thrive on a team like the Blues or Sharks. Maybe Bonino and a pick?

Price: He plays a few games, still looks great, someone will pay a great price for him. I know 99% of HFBoards people won't, but 0% of them are NHL GM's and the hockey world still respects Carey regardless of Price tag. Several teams would make big offers to get him if he's available, though the cap hit would likely make adding a third team to the deal necessary just to make space. I'm thinking Price to the Avalanche in the summer when they have the money available, maybe a stash of picks and prospects including Justin Barron, with more if the Habs retain.

Had to edit the bolded part for the pun, but I strongly agree with this.

Reactions: Price is Wright

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
What would Anderson cost. I know you want to keep him but just curious what he would cost.

A young piece that would be a solid core part for our rebuild. It's pry away value and you won't pay it. So we are keeping him cause in 3 years, he is still in prime years with a few years left. That contract will age well.

If you want to dangle something... Look at our depth chart in terms of youth and what we are missing and see if there is something you can offer as bait. Wild shot guys that may or may not make the NHL is not it

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad