Speculation: Fire Rob Blake Blow it Up Offseason Thread (update: Robitaille, Blake and Hiller stay)

bland

Jul 1, 2004
learning from history yada yada

how the f*** is the grand plan to mortgage more prospects for the troubled new hot toy?

is that not what's gotten us here?
But when the wheel finally lands on that number, we will be farting thru silk!

chris kontos

Feb 28, 2023
Laine is actually interesting to me. A pure sniper scorer who could elevate the offense.
Sure, he has had some issues the last few. He has been sulking in a shitshow franchise that he was traded to against his wishes. Not really any sort of playmaking center to work with there. Injuries have definitely been a problem. Also pretty well known that he has had problems with a video game addiction in the past.
LA could be the sort of place where he turns it around. The sun and sky and ocean clears a lot of shit out of your head.
I would need to have some long talks with him and some coaches before I would be ready to pull the trigger. Really this franchise doesnt need to bring in another loose cannon after the expensive Dubois episode (DuBacle, DuSaster, whatever you want to call it) so a more thorough due diligence really would need to take place.

Fagemo is never going to be anything close to what Laine was as a rookie. He's a guy who looks great in the AHL but wont get the time and space he needs in the National.
i liked laine as a rook in winnipeg but i hate the idea of taking on another rescue project they think they can fix. any relationship started with the idea you can fix the other party aint gonna end well and is kinda sick.
its wacked to me that we may have a scorer compareable to laine/pasternak etc sitting in the press box because he's not well liked.
i think if we're going to spend big money id like to see them get zadorov. why not try to build a defense first team starting with a bruiser.

Reactions: AbsentMojo

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
i liked laine as a rook in winnipeg but i hate the idea of taking on another rescue project they think they can fix. any relationship started with the idea you can fix the other party aint gonna end well and is kinda sick.
its wacked to me that we may have a scorer compareable to laine/pasternak etc sitting in the press box because he's not well liked.
i think if we're going to spend big money id like to see them get zadorov. why not try to build a defense first team starting with a bruiser.
Yup, Zadorov makes a lot of sense.

It'll make negotiating a contract with Gavrikov easier knowing we have Z if he wants to test the market.

Anderson/Doughty
Gavrikov/Spence
Zadorov/Clarke
*Englund

That would go crazy.

Reactions: chris kontos

KopitarGOAT420

Jan 30, 2020
USA
One UFA option I'd really like to see the Kings target: Oliver Kylington from the Flames

The Hockey Royalty guys brought up this idea a couple podcasts ago while playing armchair GM and I really really like it. You could probably get him for pretty cheap and he was a very solid LHD before his injury - Played decently coming back from injury last year.

27 years old, 6 ft, defensive d-man. He'd be a huge improvement over Englund as our 3rd pair LD playing with either Clarke or Spence.

A little risky but personally, I think it's definitely worth the risk if you can get him for fairly cheap on a 2-3 year deal.

Zadorov would be a nice fit too of course but the cap hit is going to be a bit too high IMO.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
Gotta clear your throat before you can sing.
ew-gross.gif

chris kontos

Feb 28, 2023
learning from history yada yada

how the f*** is the grand plan to mortgage more prospects for the troubled new hot toy?

is that not what's gotten us here?
maybe the kings can open a codependency based send us your troubled not performing wierdo player. we can not only fix him, we'll PAY HIM while we try to do it. and when it inevitibly fails robitaille can cry about "we were this close" it all will be very romantic and everybody would cash checks and think of the human interest stories the king press could write about.
what happened to building a defense first team? like that have size and can check? and buy in to the system?

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
My top 20 Free Agent choices and what I think we can sign them to:

1. Nikita Zadorov 5.5M x 4 (Big physical #4, if Gavrikov walks next Summer we have a back-up.)
2. Yakov Trenin 3M x 3 (Dwight King in a sense that he can play on your 1st line or 4th, physical, good skater for a big guy.)
3. Tyler Toffoli 5M x 3 (We desperately need right shot forwards and Titty can still score a lot of goals; no higher than 5AAV)
4. William Carrier 2.75M x 4 (I'm not convinced he'd come to a division rival tbh.)
5. A.J. Greer 1.5M x 2 (William Carrier but meaner and a lot cheaper to sign.)
6. Jake Debrusk 5.25M x 4 (45 point guy, plays with an edge, we need another top six forward.)
7. Kevin Stenlund 2M x 3 (6'6 4th line center that's good in the dot and own zone, Finals probably attracting more eyes though.)
8. Anthony Mantha 4.5M x 2 (Just an older, more proven Kaliyev that plays slightly more physical.)
9. Jani Hakanpaa 3.5M x 3 (Massive, physical shut down D. Only problem is that he's another right shot.)
10. Vladimir Tarasenko 4.5M x 2 (Not sure how much gas he has left in the tank but he could be worth the gamble.)
11. Derek Forbort 2M x 2 (Better than Englund, has size, left shot, adds to our depth.)
12. Ian Cole 3M x 1 (Getting old but still serviceable, more depth on left side.)
13. Kyle Clifford 800k x 1 (He's a lot better than 95% of the other tough guys currently in the NHL, has familiarity with the team.)
14. Matt Martin 1.75M x 2 (Face puncher that'll probably get paid more than he's worth because of his hits.)
15. Brenden Dillon 3.75M x 2 (Coming off the big cut in the playoffs, getting older, solid #5 shut down to have.)
16. Alec Martinez 3M x 1 (100% better than Englund but not sure if he's the type of D we need. An upgrade either way.)
17. Brandon Duhaime 2M x 2 (Overrated punching bag that's a decent skater.)
18. Stefan Noesen 4M x 3 (Right shot middle six forwards that plays with some grit, he'll be looking for a payday.)
19. Joel Edmundson 1.75M x 1 (#6 LHD competition)
20. Nick Cousins 2.5M x 3 (Bottom six rat, good skater, somewhat physical.)
Thanks for this, I have not had time to research the FA class.

The reason I’d like to upgrade 3D is because it’d hopefully mean they can play the top pairing a little less and we need better transition from that position. Englund I’d keep on the active roster for when they need someone extra that can drop the gloves and bring an extra physical edge. He can also ‘do a job’ in case of injury. I say ‘extra’ as we definitely need a forward or two to bring grit, an edge and be willing to drop the gloves. As much as anything that’s because we need a more aggressive forecheck.

Debrusk would a a nice add and I wouldn’t object to Forbert on the 3rd pair. What’s the view on if there is any potential bounce back in Edmundson as he’s only 30? Instead of Forbert.

Martin would interest me as the 13th forward if cheap. AJ Greer is also interesting but doesn’t get into enough games to spend big on. Toffoli I think costs too much in terms of term and AAV.

Blake needs to spend cap space wisely and we need at a minimum a 22 man roster. Yeah I know but I will stay optimistic.

It'll make negotiating a contract with Gavrikov easier knowing we have Z if he wants to test the market.

Anderson/Doughty
Gavrikov/Spence
Zadorov/Clarke
*Englund

That would go crazy.
I’d love that but I think Zadorov gets very overpaid. Hopefully I’m very wrong.

Reactions: King'sPawn

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
Thanks for this, I have not had time to research the FA class.

The reason I’d like to upgrade 3D is because it’d hopefully mean they can play the top pairing a little less and we need better transition from that position. Englund I’d keep on the active roster for when they need someone extra that can drop the gloves and bring an extra physical edge. He can also ‘do a job’ in case of injury. I say ‘extra’ as we definitely need a forward or two to bring grit, an edge and be willing to drop the gloves. As much as anything that’s because we need a more aggressive forecheck.

Debrusk would a a nice add and I wouldn’t object to Forbert on the 3rd pair. What’s the view on if there is any potential bounce back in Edmundson as he’s only 30? Instead of Forbert.

Martin would interest me as the 13th forward if cheap. AJ Greer is also interesting but doesn’t get into enough games to spend big on. Toffoli I think costs too much in terms of term and AAV.

Blake needs to spend cap space wisely and we need at a minimum a 22 man roster. Yeah I know but I will stay optimistic.
I'd rather have Forbort than Edmundson because of the familiarity with the organization and if you compare their last three seasons Forbort has played significantly better than Edmundson. Both I'd be fine with nonetheless.

Reactions: Statto

DoktorJeep

B2B GM of the Summer Champion
Aug 2, 2005
OC
Roy not coming back would be a surprise at this point. The ripple effect would be a Spence trade. But it’ll be for a theoretical top six forward and include this years first.

The UFA splash feels like an overpay for a bottom six guy. Martinook for 3 years with a 50% raise is in the ballpark.

I think Kaliyev gets a minimum QO and sits out for awhile to round out the summer. After that, things are looking like surfs up 👍

dman3474

Feb 21, 2009
L.A.
Give Toff an extra year if you can get him down to 4-4.25mil.

I could see them putting Spence on the left side and signing to around Roy 5.8x5. They kind of started to prep the move to the left in the playoffs

Blake should have already talked to Gavrikov to see what he wants going forward, maybe he really likes it here and we could sign him closer to 5mx6 for after next year. If not you bring someone else in and get ready to move him.

• Wow
Reactions: Surf Nutz

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB

Anderson/Doughty
Gavrikov/Spence
Zadorov/Clarke
*Englund

That would go crazy.
Zadorov is a turnover machine. They called him the russian rollercoaster in Calgary because of how up and down his play is. His is rumored to be wanted more the $6M on a 6 year deal. Easy pass IMO.

Reactions: BigBrown

MonkeysUncle

May 31, 2024
Roy not coming back would be a surprise at this point. The ripple effect would be a Spence trade. But it’ll be for a theoretical top six forward and include this years first.

The UFA splash feels like an overpay for a bottom six guy. Martinook for 3 years with a 50% raise is in the ballpark.

I think Kaliyev gets a minimum QO and sits out for awhile to round out the summer. After that, things are looking like surfs up 👍
If we resign Roy that pretty signals Blake hasn't changed. You need Ld not expensive rd. Spence and Clarke are the future and if Blake does not see that then the kings are in real trouble

Reactions: tigermask48

DoktorJeep

B2B GM of the Summer Champion
Aug 2, 2005
OC
Kopitar, Doughty and Kemper are your #1 center, defenseman and goalie next season. That’s a $23.5M cap hit. So around 25% of your cap space. By far the largest cohort.

Window dressing on pig shit. No real fan should have anything above zero expectations for the franchise any time in the next 5 years at the soonest, assuming BLuc is booted by next April.

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
Zadorov is a turnover machine. They called him the russian rollercoaster in Calgary because of how up and down his play is. His is rumored to be wanted more the $6M on a 6 year deal. Easy pass IMO.
Zadorov had the 2nd least amount of turnovers/60 on the Canucks only behind Carson Soucy.

He had 1.30/60 which is better than Gavrikov, Roy and the same as Drew Doughty.

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
In a vacuum, sure Zadorov is someone this team could really use. But Zadorov only makes sense if they were to trade Gavi. That seems very unlikely to happen due to his NTC and the Kings wanting to bring KK over from Russia soon.

Signing Roy would be ape-shet dumb. Which means Blake probably does it.

Speaking of which, I don't understand the Toffoli interest/infatuation. Beyond not costing assets to acquire (i.e. FA) and a being RHS, there is so much wrong in signing him for this team. But he's a former King and i guess that's enough -- sign him up Blake.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014

The only way I ‘might’ be ok with moving Spence would be for a meaningful move up in the draft. By meaningful I’m talking up to 10th or better but I doubt he’d get it done. However, I am concerned about signing Roy regardless, although I’m hoping we sign QB to a long term deal which would hopefully rule out Roy.

Edit: changed my mind, it’d be stupid.

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
In a vacuum, sure Zadorov is someone this team could really use. But Zadorov only makes sense if they were to trade Gavi. That seems very unlikely to happen due to his NTC and the Kings wanting to bring KK over from Russia soon.

Signing Roy would be ape-shet dumb. Which means Blake probably does it.

Speaking of which, I don't understand the Toffoli interest/infatuation. Beyond not costing assets to acquire (i.e. FA) and a being RHS, there is so much wrong in signing him for this team. But he's a former King and i guess that's enough -- sign him up Blake.
Toffoli had 33 goals which would've been 1st on the Kings and had 11 PP goals which would've tied him for 1st.

We need scoring and right shot forwards so I think it makes a lot of sense actually.

Reactions: Omni Owl

funky

Build around Byfield, not the vets
Mar 9, 2002
One UFA option I'd really like to see the Kings target: Oliver Kylington from the Flames

The Hockey Royalty guys brought up this idea a couple podcasts ago while playing armchair GM and I really really like it. You could probably get him for pretty cheap and he was a very solid LHD before his injury - Played decently coming back from injury last year.

27 years old, 6 ft, defensive d-man. He'd be a huge improvement over Englund as our 3rd pair LD playing with either Clarke or Spence.

A little risky but personally, I think it's definitely worth the risk if you can get him for fairly cheap on a 2-3 year deal.

Zadorov would be a nice fit too of course but the cap hit is going to be a bit too high IMO.
Don’t need another small Dman. Remember we may be replacing Roy and his bit in f physical play with Clarke
Kopitar, Doughty and Kemper are your #1 center, defenseman and goalie next season. That’s a $23.5M cap hit. So around 25% of your cap space. By far the largest cohort.

Window dressing on pig shit. No real fan should have anything above zero expectations for the franchise any time in the next 5 years at the soonest, assuming BLuc is booted by next April.
and I was having a good day

FSL KINGS

May 10, 2021
Roy needs to be signed. Roy, Spence, Clarke down the right is fine. Move Doughty, to a different team, or at minimum to the left. His breakout pass is embarrassing.

Toffoli after bouncing around for a few years might be open to coming back to the King's. They need to add a top 6 right hand shot. Hopefully they get someone better than Toffoli, but we'll see.

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
Toffoli had 33 goals which would've been 1st on the Kings and had 11 PP goals which would've tied him for 1st.

We need scoring and right shot forwards so I think it makes a lot of sense actually.
He's 32. Gonna take 4 years to sign him likely. So you're getting him for years 32-36. He brings zero toughness and grit, etc. This teams needs a PF and toughness...not to mention youth. They are not a TT away from contending.
Not to mention, history tells us how these 30+ year old long-term FA signings end up for those coming LA -- Paid ending vacation at the end of a nice career.

We should be looking for: Youth or size/toughness -- preferably guys with both.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad