Speculation: Fire Rob Blake Blow it Up Offseason Thread (update: Robitaille, Blake and Hiller stay)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
I agree, not sure why people want him, honestly rather have Debrusk
Id rather have Laine for 2 years than Debrusk at 5.5-6 million for 5-6 years and Toffoli for 4.5-5 million for 4-5 years. But only if Laine was cheap to acquire.
It would line up with the end of Doughty,Kopitar and Danault contracts and Rob Blakes tenure and then they can start fresh.

Reactions: Rumpelstiltskin

FSL KINGS

May 10, 2021
The hell is all this talk about getting Laine lol we just got rid of PLD.
Laine is on a short contract. With his recent issues the King's might actually have enough assets to land him. It's not like the Kings are going to be a desirable location after this last year for any player that has a choice.

FrozenKing18

Where is my super suit?
Aug 11, 2009
SoCal
Laine is on a short contract. With his recent issues the King's might actually have enough assets to land him. It's not like the Kings are going to be a desirable location after this last year for any player that has a choice.
Right there. That’s where you should stop and think, “We just went through this.” No way we should be comfortable taking ANOTHER gamble on player that’s a maybe and giving up more assets.

FSL KINGS

May 10, 2021
Right there. That’s where you should stop and think, “We just went through this.” No way we should be comfortable taking ANOTHER gamble on player that’s a maybe and giving up more assets.
It's the only play left before burning off 11 & 8's contracts & rebuilding.

Edit: Yes, they did just move a forward that probably would have been fine at wing for an overpriced goalie & will need to add a forward after losing bothe 33 & 80. :laugh:

Last edited:

FrozenKing18

Where is my super suit?
Aug 11, 2009
SoCal
It's the only play left before burning off 11 & 8's contracts & rebuilding.

Edit: Yes, they did just move a forward that probably would have been fine at wing for an overpriced goalie & will need to add a forward after losing bothe 33 & 80. :laugh:
I respectfully disagree. There shouldn’t be any “play” whatsoever. This current roster make up is not built for a long playoff run. It’s time to accept that. Adding Laine alone will not take them to that next level.

Reactions: Schrute farms

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
I respectfully disagree. There shouldn’t be any “play” whatsoever. This current roster make up is not built for a long playoff run. It’s time to accept that. Adding Laine alone will not take them to that next level.
Yea we all know that. But Blake is on the hot seat and will gamble here to get some playoff success.
I dont think Laine is a Blake type player and probably isnt on his radar though.
But youd be smart to bet on Blake getting worse players than Laine with longer term that will handicap the team even after hes gone.

FSL KINGS

May 10, 2021
Inside the mind of a mad man:

You know, we were right in that series. Sure it was 4/1, but we were in every game. A couple bounces go the other way & we're the ones in the finals.
:nod:

Joking aside, Blake needs to make the playoffs & getting out of the first round would help save his job. Job preservation is the goal at this point. Easiest way to do that is to fix the PP. King's had a good PP a couple of seasons ago. That's likely going to require another top6 forward.

BaileyFan

Jun 14, 2023
I think the chances of Laine rediscovering his game in LA is approximately 0.0% but if we’re gonna do something stupid anyway (likely) I’d prefer his contract over long term deals for Toffoli and Roy, and it comes with the added bonus of depleting Blake’s extra cap space for more bad moves. In a twisted way, if the trade price is cheap then acquiring Laine could be the perfect Goldilocks deal that is bad enough to get management fired but not so horrible that it handcuffs the next GM for almost a decade.

Cook24

Oct 14, 2005
Chino, CA
Friedman mentioned in his podcast that 2 other teams were in on Dubois believe it or not. He speculated…speculated…that it was Montreal and Boston…

In my head I assumed maybe there was a deal being discussed about Dubois to Calgary with Markstrom coming to us…just thought it was weird how the deal for Kuemper happened not to long after the Markstrom deal…

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
How many orgs can claim their biggest moves in consecutive off-seasons was to undo a gigantic blunder (Cal dump, PLD). Meanwhile most other teams are getting better each off season.

1719078176045.png

bland

Jul 1, 2004
The same delusion that led Blake to say “I can fix him” about PLD.

If laine was 5’10”, nobody would even be whispering it
What does it say about this organizations ownership, management, coaching and on-ice leadership that they allowed this situation to happen again and again? So many players careers go south here.

The entire model is broken, there is no singular strength to any single aspect of the organization.

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
tanner jeannot.
I'd bite. He shouldn't cost much asset wise to acquire. Put him on the 4th line and it allows you to go cheap/young with Thomas at 4C (no Liz) and Turc/Grundy (or some very cheap veteran brut). I'd rather Turc be given a shot on lines 1-3, but i know that's unlikely to happen.

Reactions: Johnny Utah

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
Jeanott-Turcotte-Thomas would be sick.

Kings should make a move for Jeanott - he can rotate 3rd and 4th line. He scored when he was in the West as Elliott Friedman pointed out. He can protect the young players.

Then Blake also signs a few other pieces like Debrusk and Bertuzzi.

Debrusk-Kopitar-Kempe
Moore-Danault-Bertuzzi
Fiala-Byfield-Laffy
Jeanott-Turcotte-Thomas

After the Kings pay Byfield 5-6 million plus 2 million for Spence they will have 15 million. That can pay for Debrusk, Bertuzzi and Jeanott.

• Wow
Reactions: Surf Nutz

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

Kings should make a move for Jeanott - he can rotate 3rd and 4th line. He scored when he was in the West as Elliott Friedman pointed out. He can protect the young players.

Debrusk-Kopitar-Kempe
Moore-Danault-Bertuzzi
Fiala-Byfield-Laffy
Jeanott-Turcotte-Thomas

After the Kings pay Byfield 5-6 million plus 2 million for Spence they will have 15 million. That can pay for Debrusk, Bertuzzi and Jeanott.

Looks like one of the worst offenses in the league to me

Not your fault though, I think that’s more just how f***ed we are

• Haha
Reactions: Surf Nutz

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
Looks like one of the worst offenses in the league to me

Not your fault though, I think that’s more just how f***ed we are
Agreed -- either way we're f***ed. So it comes down to, would you rather be a team that:
A. is small, kinda fast, higher scoring team but is pushed around easily, bullied, etc.
or
B. a bigger, tougher team that doesn't put up with crap and has to try to win games 2-1.

About five years ago, I definitely was saying we need to be 'A'. But i've seen that and i'm tired of getting punched in the face and curling up in a ball on the ground getting bullied game after game. I'm ready to go back to 'B'. Especially since we're not winning anything major now anyways. Give the young guys a chance to be on the ice without other teams bullying us with no recourse...and potentially getting hurt, concussions, etc.

Reactions: AbsentMojo

WHOneedsSOX

Mar 1, 2015

Debrusk-Kopitar-Kempe
Moore-Danault-Bertuzzi
Fiala-Byfield-Laffy
Jeanott-Turcotte-Thomas

The soft defense needs to be fixed. Too many guys get to and stay in front of the net without being affected.

Reactions: Schrute farms

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Turcotte's base salary on the previous contract was $832,500

I thought his next contract would have to be at least 105% of the previous contract's base salary?

All The Kings Men

Apr 7, 2016
Turcotte's base salary on the previous contract was $832,500

I thought his next contract would have to be at least 105% of the previous contract's base salary?
if he was given a qualifying offer it had to be a raise

there's nothing to precent a player from signing a separate deal from the QO

the QO wouldn't have had the two years at guaranteed NHL salary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad