Speculation: Fire Rob Blake Blow it Up Offseason Thread (update: Robitaille, Blake and Hiller stay)

theMajor

Feb 9, 2012
Socal
View attachment 885057

Kaliyev is not even close to Laines caliber bruv

laine is the pld of kaliyevs

real talk, he's a REAL good scorer but thats about it. cant skate too well, transition sucks, defense is meh...really good on the powerplay and with rush/one time chances...sound familiar? :)

except he's in the drug assistance program, is still dealing with his dad's passing, has played 57% of his clubs last 300 games due to injuries and various other reasons....and has what, a 8.75m AAV ???

i'd rather give kaliyev 1st line minutes than have laine anywhere near this team. laine obviously has a much higher ceiling but hes a gigantic gamble

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
laine is the pld of kaliyevs

real talk, he's a REAL good scorer but thats about it. cant skate too well, transition sucks, defense is meh...really good on the powerplay and with rush/one time chances...sound familiar? :)

except he's in the drug assistance program, is still dealing with his dad's passing, has played 57% of his clubs last 300 games due to injuries and various other reasons....and has what, a 8.75m AAV ???

i'd rather give kaliyev 1st line minutes than have laine anywhere near this team. laine obviously has a much higher ceiling but hes a gigantic gamble
Brotha man what part of if the price is good seems like a gigantic gamble to you ? All im saying sometimes there’s good players out there like Eichel that you should take a crack at. If the Kings can move PLD then Laine isn’t going to be expensive to acquire.

theMajor

Feb 9, 2012
Socal
Brotha man what part of if the price is good seems like a gigantic gamble to you ? All im saying sometimes there’s good players out there like Eichel that you should take a crack at. If the Kings can move PLD then Laine isn’t going to be expensive to acquire
word is that CBJ doesnt want to retain, their GM was pretty candid earlier today

I wouldnt be opposed if he was < 5m as his contract only has 2 years left but still, a big gamble IMO

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
Brotha man what part of if the price is good seems like a gigantic gamble to you ? All im saying sometimes there’s good players out there like Eichel that you should take a crack at. If the Kings can move PLD then Laine isn’t going to be expensive to acquire.
I agree with the taking a crack at players.. but the guys making the call are smoking crack... and thats barely an exaggeration if one at all... so I dont trust them to parse through Laines various issues and make the right call.. esp after the fiasco we just spent a year suffering over.

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
people crying about PLD, now clamoring for Laine. some of you need help.
Laine is better than PLD and doesnt loaf like that. I have seen him play really well whereas the only time I saw anything great out of PLD was a small sample size in that CBJ playoff.
He has warts in his game though for sure.
He only has 2 years left on his deal. Blake only has 1 year left.
As long as he doesnt pay an arm and leg to get him I wouldnt mind if thats the move he makes a gamble on.
Id rather him take a chance on Laine for 2 years over signing Debrusk to a 6-7 year deal.
Really the only move Blake could make to actually turn this team around would be turning Fiala/Danault + into Brady Tkachuk. Maybe get Chychrun and physical left d instead of Gavrikov also.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
word is that CBJ doesnt want to retain, their GM was pretty candid earlier today

I wouldnt be opposed if he was < 5m as his contract only has 2 years left but still, a big gamble IMO
"Our hope is" means they know they have to retain realistically. Gms have said flat out before they wont do XYZ and end up doing just that. The Kings pretty much said their hope was to integrate pld into the line up more efficiently this upcoming season but they didn't mention that the caps would be doing that instead lol.

Again if theres a really good deal for him available where the Kings dont get set back at all and the jackets hold money, I mean why not at this point? The Kings are f***ed anyways, might as well make it a great bang.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
I swear to God if we just traded PLD just to acquire Laine I think I might be done until Rob and Luc are gone :help:

Here's what we could ice right now without signing any UFAs that weren't on the team last season:

Turcotte - Byfield - Kempe
Fiala - Kopitar - Laferriere
Moore - Danault - Fagemo
Lizotte - Thomas - Laferriere
Grundstrom

Anderson - Doughty
Gavrikov - Clarke
Englund - Spence
Moverare

Kuemper
Rittich

I would let Roy, Arvidsson, Lewis, and Talbot walk.

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
I swear to God if we just traded PLD just to acquire Laine I think I might be done until Rob and Luc are gone :help:

Here's what we could ice right now without signing any UFAs that weren't on the team last season:

Turcotte - Byfield - Kempe
Fiala - Kopitar - Laferriere
Moore - Danault - Fagemo
Lizotte - Thomas - Laferriere
Grundstrom

Anderson - Doughty
Gavrikov - Clarke
Englund - Spence
Moverare

Kuemper
Rittich

I would let Roy, Arvidsson, Lewis, and Talbot walk.
You know there is zero chance he has Turcotte and Laferriere in the top six, Thomas centering a line, Fagemo in the lineup at all and Clarke on the second pair. This is Blakes last shot at a playoff run and an extension for himself.
Hes going to make moves and dont be surprised if Clarke and Thomas are in the minors and Turcotte is traded to another team.
Id take Laine at a discount for 2 years on Byfields wing over long term/max dollar deals for Toffoli and Debrusk.
I am prepared for far worse than Laine.

Reactions: BaileyFan

BaileyFan

Jun 14, 2023
He has been sulking in a shitshow franchise that he was traded to against his wishes.
This is the exact same thing that was said to justify bringing in PLD and it drives me crazy. Both Winnipeg and Columbus have won multiple playoff series more recently than the Kings have won a single one, we’re the last group who should be clowning anyone else’s franchise yet people for some reason believe that the cure-all for these malcontents is getting onto a “real NHL team” like the Kings.

On a sidenote it's truly amazing the amount of artificial value PLD had and has. Im gonna honestly point to the whole canadian bullshit where every boy is a good boy and yeah he might be a locker room cancer but hes a good canadian boy so theres some bullshit intrinsic value there.
I’ve said it before, the only reason PLD has this mystique surrounding him is because he beat the beloved Leafs in a series once and was good for a Canadian team for half a season. If he had beaten the Hurricanes in the bubble or was putting up points on the Coyotes, nobody would be deluding themselves into thinking he’s some special talent that could become Lindros-lite or whatever nonsense has been said about him.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
This is the exact same thing that was said to justify bringing in PLD and it drives me crazy. Both Winnipeg and Columbus have won multiple playoff series more recently than the Kings have won a single one, we’re the last group who should be clowning anyone else’s franchise yet people for some reason believe that the cure-all for these malcontents is getting onto a “real NHL team” like the Kings.

I’ve said it before, the only reason PLD has this mystique surrounding him is because he beat the beloved Leafs in a series once and was good for a Canadian team for half a season. If he had beaten the Hurricanes in the bubble or was putting up points on the Coyotes, nobody would be deluding themselves into thinking he’s some special talent that could become Lindros-lite or whatever nonsense has been said about him.
For sure that’s a big factor, and him being a bigger guy, Canadian, and an asshole won the hearts of this good ol boy league. His value is way too high for someone who has proved little

Peter James Bond III

De-LUC-sional
Jul 8, 2020
I've never been overwhelmed by DeBrusk...I recall a hat trick he had against the Kings and it was the most meh hat trick I ever saw...not one of the 3 goals were impressive and 1 or 2 were luck or hit off someone. I cannot recall. But, I saw him a few games in the playoffs and he was good....I heard he had a broken hand, mid season. I looked it up and found this on Reddit. Bruin fans attesting to that and one saying he was the Bruins best in the playoffs...he had 5 goals, 6 assists in 13 games. Yes, the 40 reg season pts, tying the immortal PLD...but if he had a broken hand, the last half, he probably would have eclipsed 50 pts. And at least he shows up in the playoffs....unlike most all Kings this yr.

I'd be more for a right hand shooting, RW. But I would not be opposed to DeBrusk. He's 27 and many of the sexier names are 32 or 33...Marchessault, Toffoli. Laine is interesting, but Wadell is saying they are looking for a hockey deal? He has a lot of Russians there.

A HOCKEY DEAL!

KALIYEV RFA
GAVRIKOV 5.875
KUEMPER 5.25
for
LAINE 8.7 M

11.1 M to 8.7 M. Kings gain 2.4 M and would now have 25.85 M and could get a better goalie
and replace Gavrikov, with an UFA Brendan Dillion or Zadorov. If they really wanted to, they could probably try to get Sjkei. I like the idea of getting Drew the best ever all around defense partner he could ever have....last all around defenseman partner was Muzz. Yeah, I know, Drew is better with stay at home types...BS. Sure, the Kings are probably better served with Dillon or Zadorov, as the physical LHD they need,. Agree. This could be expnaded to include Provorov. He seemed to actually be good, this past yr. I have never thought highly of him, other than the upside I thought he would eventually hit...and the Kings are already paying 2.1 M of his contract. This would have to then include futures or the #1 pick. Gav and his wife may be ok, going back where they are familair and have friends...BUT, he does have a NMC. I think they are also having their second child. The moving of Kuemper alone, makes this interesting.

As Seattle Kings stated, would have to have massive due diligence. Any team that is going to take on Laine, will do more due dilligence on him, than the Kings did with PLD...oh, then maybe the Kings wouldn't. ONE WAY for the Kings to take a MAJOR step forward, would honestly be a gamble move...someone that has a risk...but major reward. I'm leary of it and would prefer the
Kings sign Teravainen, Dakota Joshua (or Trenin) and Brendan Dillon. If they could pull those 3 off.

The Kings also need to get FREE ASSETS that can just be signed, after losing Gabe, PLD, Arvy, Kaliyev. I don't even want to coult Iafallo, Kupari, Lizotte, Lewis, Grundstrom. What a massive turnover. To make a leap foward, need free assets a goalie upgrade and a risk home run shot.

IMG_3961.jpgIMG_3962.jpg

Peter James Bond III

De-LUC-sional
Jul 8, 2020
And now, for my Kaliyev proposal:

Kaliyev + #21 OA
Hawks
#18 and #50 OA. (the second pick Hawks have in rd 2. They have 34 and 50. If this is too rich, get their 3rd rd)

Kings move ip 3 slots...may be enough to get a higher tier player on Yank's list.
And #50, gets the Kings into the mid second rd and get a good prospect.

18-21 is pretty tight, it seems, for that range. Solberg, Luchanko, Hage, Emery, Boisvert, Chernyshov, Connelly, Jiricek, Parascak. May make a world of difference, just moving up 3.

Reactions: MonkeysUncle

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
And now, for my Kaliyev proposal:

Kaliyev + #21 OA
Hawks
#18 and #50 OA. (the second pick Hawks have in rd 2. They have 34 and 50. If this is too rich, get their 3rd rd)

Kings move ip 3 slots...may be enough to get a higher tier player on Yank's list.
And #50, gets the Kings into the mid second rd and get a good prospect.

18-21 is pretty tight, it seems, for that range. Solberg, Luchanko, Hage, Emery, Boisvert, Chernyshov, Connelly, Jiricek, Parascak. May make a world of difference, just moving up 3.
Moving up 3 spots as you say may make a difference. It entirely depends on where the tiers lay and who in each tier they prefer. I suspect that sort of move gets made after the 14th pick is chosen because they only do it if their guy is still there.

Omni Owl

Mar 9, 2008
As much as I want to see Laine get it together and succeed, that's a pass from me dawg. Too many raw and recent issues to sort out, unless he can be had for ultra ultra cheap, as in very minor assets. Any time there's a player available I just think, "Would prime era Dean Lombardi go after them?" Ryan O'Reilly was a good example: character guy, great center, recent Cup winner, etc... It seems like BLuc are going after the exact opposite players sometimes.

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
My top 20 Free Agent choices and what I think we can sign them to:

1. Nikita Zadorov 5.5M x 4 (Big physical #4, if Gavrikov walks next Summer we have a back-up.)
2. Yakov Trenin 3M x 3 (Dwight King in a sense that he can play on your 1st line or 4th, physical, good skater for a big guy.)
3. Tyler Toffoli 5M x 3 (We desperately need right shot forwards and Titty can still score a lot of goals; no higher than 5AAV)
4. William Carrier 2.75M x 4 (I'm not convinced he'd come to a division rival tbh.)
5. A.J. Greer 1.5M x 2 (William Carrier but meaner and a lot cheaper to sign.)
6. Jake Debrusk 5.25M x 4 (45 point guy, plays with an edge, we need another top six forward.)
7. Kevin Stenlund 2M x 3 (6'6 4th line center that's good in the dot and own zone, Finals probably attracting more eyes though.)
8. Anthony Mantha 4.5M x 2 (Just an older, more proven Kaliyev that plays slightly more physical.)
9. Jani Hakanpaa 3.5M x 3 (Massive, physical shut down D. Only problem is that he's another right shot.)
10. Vladimir Tarasenko 4.5M x 2 (Not sure how much gas he has left in the tank but he could be worth the gamble.)
11. Derek Forbort 2M x 2 (Better than Englund, has size, left shot, adds to our depth.)
12. Ian Cole 3M x 1 (Getting old but still serviceable, more depth on left side.)
13. Kyle Clifford 800k x 1 (He's a lot better than 95% of the other tough guys currently in the NHL, has familiarity with the team.)
14. Matt Martin 1.75M x 2 (Face puncher that'll probably get paid more than he's worth because of his hits.)
15. Brenden Dillon 3.75M x 2 (Coming off the big cut in the playoffs, getting older, solid #5 shut down to have.)
16. Alec Martinez 3M x 1 (100% better than Englund but not sure if he's the type of D we need. An upgrade either way.)
17. Brandon Duhaime 2M x 2 (Overrated punching bag that's a decent skater.)
18. Stefan Noesen 4M x 3 (Right shot middle six forwards that plays with some grit, he'll be looking for a payday.)
19. Joel Edmundson 1.75M x 1 (#6 LHD competition)
20. Nick Cousins 2.5M x 3 (Bottom six rat, good skater, somewhat physical.)

Reactions: Johnny Utah

Omni Owl

Mar 9, 2008
My top 20 Free Agent choices and what I think we can sign them to:

1. Nikita Zadorov 5.5M x 4 (Big physical #4, if Gavrikov walks next Summer we have a back-up.)
2. Yakov Trenin 3M x 3 (Dwight King in a sense that he can play on your 1st line or 4th, physical, good skater for a big guy.)
3. Tyler Toffoli 5M x 3 (We desperately need right shot forwards and Titty can still score a lot of goals; no higher than 5AAV)
4. William Carrier 2.75M x 4 (I'm not convinced he'd come to a division rival tbh.)
5. A.J. Greer 1.5M x 2 (William Carrier but meaner and a lot cheaper to sign.)
6. Jake Debrusk 5.25M x 4 (45 point guy, plays with an edge, we need another top six forward.)
7. Kevin Stenlund 2M x 3 (6'6 4th line center that's good in the dot and own zone, Finals probably attracting more eyes though.)
8. Anthony Mantha 4.5M x 2 (Just an older, more proven Kaliyev that plays slightly more physical.)
9. Jani Hakanpaa 3.5M x 3 (Massive, physical shut down D. Only problem is that he's another right shot.)
10. Vladimir Tarasenko 4.5M x 2 (Not sure how much gas he has left in the tank but he could be worth the gamble.)
11. Derek Forbort 2M x 2 (Better than Englund, has size, left shot, adds to our depth.)
12. Ian Cole 3M x 1 (Getting old but still serviceable, more depth on left side.)
13. Kyle Clifford 800k x 1 (He's a lot better than 95% of the other tough guys currently in the NHL, has familiarity with the team.)
14. Matt Martin 1.75M x 2 (Face puncher that'll probably get paid more than he's worth because of his hits.)
15. Brenden Dillon 3.75M x 2 (Coming off the big cut in the playoffs, getting older, solid #5 shut down to have.)
16. Alec Martinez 3M x 1 (100% better than Englund but not sure if he's the type of D we need. An upgrade either way.)
17. Brandon Duhaime 2M x 2 (Overrated punching bag that's a decent skater.)
18. Stefan Noesen 4M x 3 (Right shot middle six forwards that plays with some grit, he'll be looking for a payday.)
19. Joel Edmundson 1.75M x 1 (#6 LHD competition)
20. Nick Cousins 2.5M x 3 (Bottom six rat, good skater, somewhat physical.)
Pretty mid list. I guess Toffoli would be serviceable, always liked him. But man, Vilardi just could've been our homegrown Top Titty. Our projected lineup doesn't look all that impressive. I don't see us landing Zadorov, there's just no room.

I can't believe Kyle Clifford still plays...

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
Pretty mid list. I guess Toffoli would be serviceable, always liked him. Our projected lineup doesn't look all that impressive. I don't see us landing Zadorov, no room. I can't believe Kyle Clifford still plays.
The UFA market is pretty weak.

Guys like Kane, Stamkos, and Monahan won't be worth the price.

I think we'll get a fun toy from moving Kaliyev/Lizzo. I still think we get Tanner Jeannot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad