Speculation: Fire Rob Blake Blow it Up Offseason Thread (update: Robitaille, Blake and Hiller stay)

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Every team that has at least two top 10 picks, for the most part, sucks donkey balls and again, has nothing to play for, their goal isn't winning, you touted Zegras as a better pick than Turcotte, and you are 100% right, tell me though, why is Anaheim trying to move on from him? They played him right away....why move on if he's that talented of a player (he is.)

Zegras is an interesting case as to what can go wrong if a player has no structure or accountability. Nobody denies the talent, but the guy doesn't want to play defense and cheats every chance he gets . It's about him. And when he is held accountable, he mopes around the ice and stares down the coach. Then there's all the crap after the whistle. That stuff would never happen here. The guy lack any maturity at this level, and without any leadership in ANH, like a guy like Getzlaf to keep the young guys in check, that's what you get. The guy 100 pct has bought into his own hype.

Reactions: Surf Nutz

bland

Jul 1, 2004
It was pretty close between them anyway. Toews had 4 G, 1 A in the series. Kopitar had 4 A.

So it looks like two very good two-way players who tried keeping each other shut down.

Kopitar had 2 assists in 5 games against the New York Lundqvists in the final. So far superstar scorer Connor McDavid has 3 assists in 3 games versus Florida. Barkov has 1 G, 3 A against Stuart Skinner.

It just gets more difficult to score the further along you go. And multiple talented players keep each other in check. It's why they're good players.
I just rewatched that whole 2014 series. It was a battle of Shaw, Kane and Saad vs Carter, Toffoli and Pearson. Everybody else cancelled each other out, the hotter 2nd line determined who won each game. Kane was the best player in the series by a mile.

They could have played 99 games and split them 45-44.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Today I learned from GBH that NJ and Seattle, who both WON PLAYOFF SERIES way back in (checks notes) ***last year*** and Montreal, who made the final in 2021 all with young players in the lineup without any AHL time had "Nothing to play for" while the LA Kings who have not won a playoff series since the Obama administration and the days of the ALS Ice Bucket challenge apparently have had everything to play for so couldn't bother to put young players into the lineup without AHL time.

Maybe if Blake just comes out and channels his inner GBH and says "nothing to f****** play for" like those teams, that maybe they wouldn't have to shake hands and say goodluck to the Oilers after the first round every year and might win a series.

Last edited:

Maynard

Veteran of Forum Wars
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2003
Orange County
Today I learned from GBH that NJ and Seattle, who both WON PLAYOFF SERIES way back in (checks notes) ***last year*** and Montreal, who made the final in 2021 all with young players in the lineup without any AHL time had "Nothing to play for" while the LA Kings who have not won a playoff series since the Obama administration and the days of the ALS Ice Bucket challenge apparently have had everything to play for so couldn't bother to put young players into the lineup without AHL time.

Maybe if LA just has "nothing to play for" like those teams that maybe they wouldn't have to shake hands and say goodluck to the Oilers after the first round every year.
You’re pissing in the wind going back and forth with those misery traps. No judgement on you if you're into piss.

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica

Maybe if Blake just comes out and channels his inner GBH and says "nothing to f****** play for" like those teams, that maybe they wouldn't have to shake hands and say goodluck to the Oilers after the first round every year and might win a series.
It's just hopeless engaging with him at all and you have my respect for trying.

Been seeing your well thought out and well constructed posts and I'm sure you're getting nothing but insults and attacks in return

One of the angriest and most miserable people I've ever interacted with. Just no respect for anyone else.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014

When did NJ play Jack Hughes out of college, was that last year? When did Seattle play Berniers out of college, before or after they won a playoff series?

How about Montreal, assuming you are thinking who, Suzuki and Kotkenami? 2 years before they made the finals, and with AHL time for Kotkenami....

Facts matter......Jack Hughes, 3 years before winning a playoff series...but.....

BaileyFan

Jun 14, 2023
Zegras is an interesting case as to what can go wrong if a player has no structure or accountability. Nobody denies the talent, but the guy doesn't want to play defense and cheats every chance he gets . It's about him. And when he is held accountable, he mopes around the ice and stares down the coach. Then there's all the crap after the whistle. That stuff would never happen here. The guy lack any maturity at this level, and without any leadership in ANH, like a guy like Getzlaf to keep the young guys in check, that's what you get. The guy 100 pct has bought into his own hype.
If by that you meant that the Kings would never allow a guy like that on the roster if he was a young player then you’re right. We just make that guy the highest paid player on the team instead.

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
It was pretty close between them anyway. Toews had 4 G, 1 A in the series. Kopitar had 4 A.

So it looks like two very good two-way players who tried keeping each other shut down.

Kopitar had 2 assists in 5 games against the New York Lundqvists in the final. So far superstar scorer Connor McDavid has 3 assists in 3 games versus Florida. Barkov has 1 G, 3 A against Stuart Skinner.

It just gets more difficult to score the further along you go. And multiple talented players keep each other in check. It's why they're good players.

I just rewatched that whole 2014 series. It was a battle of Shaw, Kane and Saad vs Carter, Toffoli and Pearson. Everybody else cancelled each other out, the hotter 2nd line determined who won each game. Kane was the best player in the series by a mile.

They could have played 99 games and split them 45-44.

IIRC Toews goals were PP as well, so 5v5 even more so, they just blackholed the shit out of each other, it was rad in that regard

Toews/Hossa vs. Kopitar black holing

Kane, Shaw, Saad, sometimes Sharp vs. that 70s line just teeing off on each other

Doughty was running wild that series as well, in a series where we were all focused on the forwards matchups and featuring Doughty vs. Keith, Drew was a big difference maker.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
IIRC Toews goals were PP as well, so 5v5 even more so, they just blackholed the shit out of each other, it was rad in that regard

Toews/Hossa vs. Kopitar black holing

Kane, Shaw, Saad, sometimes Sharp vs. that 70s line just teeing off on each other

Doughty was running wild that series as well, in a series where we were all focused on the forwards matchups and featuring Doughty vs. Keith, Drew was a big difference maker.
Muzzin with those sling shot wristers when pinching in from the point too.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

funky

Build around Byfield, not the vets
Mar 9, 2002
Why no Byfield signing? This has to be priority 1 as it sets a salary structure for the rest of the year.

Offer sheets are rare but guard against it.

I don’t think there is any way in hell they buy out Dubois, but are they waiting for the playoffs to be over to to see if they end soon enough to do so?

To me, Byfield, and Turcotte should have already been locked up. They may have a little bit of a fight with Spence. He made want more than we think as his play got better and better throughout the year and peaked in the playoffs.

Please don’t tell me they’re still trying to figure out how to work Roy into the equation. I love him, but we have enough smaller defenseman. Would rather spend the money on a big bruiser left shot defenseman that can actually play defense and play the rookie Clarke with his cheap contract

Just need something positive to come out of LA sooner than later

Reactions: AbsentMojo

shuchukfan

Mar 11, 2015
OC
I don’t think there is any way in hell they buy out Dubois, but are they waiting for the playoffs to be over to to see if they end soon enough to do so?
I think buyouts (for anyone) can't happen until 48 hours after the Cup is awarded, but I could be mistaken.

chris kontos

Feb 28, 2023
Those hawks vs kings series were the best series I’ve ever seen. I really liked the 2014-2015 cup a lot more than 2012. Kings autopiloted the entire playoffs and it was never close.

2014-2015 was all nail biting and adversity with great hockey.
I heard and read where those hawks-kings series were the best cup series' EVER.
I became so psyched up for the 2015 one i felt like i was playing in it!

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Muzzin with those sling shot wristers when pinching in from the point too.

Pretty sure that was Muzzin’s peak as a King and their best series as a pairing, man it was incredible

Muzzin murdering…Kruger? Was just beautiful and that no one even blinked an eye at it showed how unflappable both teams were, everything I’ve ever loved about hockey in that series

The only time anyone tried so show anyone else up was when dumbass Roszival did the ‘give me head, Justin Williams’ move and then the Kings went on to score 5 unanswered goals or whatever and that put the end to that lol

Reactions: Surf Nutz

Surf Nutz

Hockey Remote Viewer With A Frozen Finger
May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
That is correct. I am just wondering what’s holding up th Byfield signing

Blake is putting Roy's contract first after that happens or he is ruled too expensive, other pieces will be addressed.

He may be looking at other UFA's , especially in net/

He has all summer too negotiate RFA's and he will make any RFA's that want more than their comparables, sit.

funky

Build around Byfield, not the vets
Mar 9, 2002
Blake is putting Roy's contract first after that happens or he is ruled too expensive, other pieces will be addressed.

He may be looking at other UFA's , especially in net/

He has all summer too negotiate RFA's and he will make any RFA's that want more than their comparables, sit.
That’s ass backwards thinking. This team is not winning with the Veteran core. it’s time to put the kids first and get rid of guys like Roy and replace them with the kids.

And I’m a huge Kopitar.

Locking up byfield is my number one priority

DoktorJeep

B2B GM of the Summer Champion
Aug 2, 2005
OC
Kings aren’t winning with the vets or the kids. It’s an existential crisis. This mashed potato sandwich resembles a Rothko worthy shit thrown on the wall museum piece in the making.

Reactions: Herby

Surf Nutz

Hockey Remote Viewer With A Frozen Finger
May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
That’s ass backwards thinking. This team is not winning with the Veteran core. it’s time to put the kids first and get rid of guys like Roy and replace them with the kids.

And I’m a huge Kopitar.

Locking up byfield is my number one priority

Hey I get it, but its like this every year and UF's start talking to other teams after the draft I believe.

So he will look to have a decision on ROy before draft, after draft he may be looking at other UFA's then the RFA's will come after that.

It's the time frames that dictate this and then what he can offer Byfield and other ARFA's, woof, will start to take shape.

Also Blake is expiring after next season so this is possibly his last chance to put together a team that earns him an extension.

He doesn't have time for a major retool.

Kings aren’t winning with the vets or the kids. It’s an existential crisis. This mashed potato sandwich resembles a Rothko worthy shit thrown on the wall museum piece in the making.

They won enough to set an NHL win streak record and make the playoffs before losing to the conference champs.

OK, you can resume your Kings Board hope kill patrol.

:popcorn:

Reactions: FeartheFur

RocketKing

Jul 2, 2017
That would be a concern. Did Turcotte have health issues before he was drafted? Curious how many Brisson clients are ufas? Is Ehlers a Brisson client? Just curious to if any of his ufas end up here.
I seem to recall that Alex had hip surgery prior to his draft. His selection was THE cluster f@@@ of the beginning of Blake’s n ver ending F ups. Good lord if he would have only taken Boldy but he was FIXATED on getting the Center once Byram was gone. I hated it then and it hasn’t ever improved.

MonkeysUncle

May 31, 2024
I seem to recall that Alex had hip surgery prior to his draft. His selection was THE cluster f@@@ of the beginning of Blake’s n ver ending F ups. Good lord if he would have only taken Boldy but he was FIXATED on getting the Center once Byram was gone. I hated it then and it hasn’t ever improved.
I was hoping Byram or Cozens myself

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad