Speculation: Fire Rob Blake Blow it Up Offseason Thread (update: Robitaille, Blake and Hiller stay)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008
Two complete guesses if Blake goes both-barrels insanity. Bad choices vaguely addressing team needs with teams he likes working with:

Sanheim and a retained Konecny for Kaliyev, Pinelli and a slew of good draft picks.

Gavrikov and Kuemper for Laine and Merzlikens, pursues Zadorov in free agency.

doug93003

Apr 27, 2024
Rob Blake sure has gotten himself into quite a few pickles...

• Moving Gaborik for Phaneuf, who was then bought out.
  • Signing Ilya Kovalchuk to a 3-year deal.
  • Cal Petersen's 3-year, $15 million extension.
  • The Pierre-Luc Dubois sign & trade fiasco.

Has he gotten out of these bad situations? Yes. But resources, assets and money wasted and allocated towards shortsighted moves seems to be his trademark move.
Definitely getting out of them. Going backwards as an organization isn't exactly progress.

DyslexicTom

Jan 1, 2009
Two complete guesses if Blake goes both-barrels insanity. Bad choices vaguely addressing team needs with teams he likes working with:

Sanheim and a retained Konecny for Kaliyev, Pinelli and a slew of good draft picks.

It makes too much sense (even though I think it's still just rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic), therefore any moves this offseason will only be adding forwards to this group.

Think Laine and Marner; they're the new shinies on the market; Blake won't be able to resist!

• Wow
Reactions: Surf Nutz

MonkeysUncle

May 31, 2024
San Diego County

I sure hope not..

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
I miss Dean and how he went about building a team that not only competed but played for the logo on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.

chris kontos

Feb 28, 2023
im a little more positive about consuming kings hockey now that the team is not dragging around the boat anchor that is thier sweet pierre.
but blake is so lost/easily manipulated by the rest of the mgmt boys club + player agents i can only hope for minimal damage to be done between now until the present mgmt is thrown out on thier asses or worse (collusion?). its a tired refrain- rebuild never done correctly or completed, martinet coaches, awful player development and on and on. blake shouldnt get any awards for putting out fires he set himself. its sad to watch such a public display of incompetence play out.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Kings work in pairs and Hoven talked about this...

Kempe-Kopitar-?
Moore-Danault-?
Fiala-Byfield-?
Thomas-Turcotte-?

Laferriere will fill one of those spots...

Laf, Fagemo, Kaliyev, Grundstrom, Chromiak should all get a shot....bring in Toffoli on a responsible deal....and let those 5 battle for 3 spots

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
Kings work in pairs and Hoven talked about this...

Kempe-Kopitar-?
Moore-Danault-?
Fiala-Byfield-?
Thomas-Turcotte-?

Laferriere will fill one of those spots...
Fagemo/Toffoli/Arvidsson-Kopitar-Kempe
Moore-Danault-Kaliyev
Fiala-Byfield-Laferriere
Grundstrom/GoonFA-Turcotte-Thomas

Anderson-Doughty
Gavrikov-Clarke
Englund-Spence
Moverare

This is what I would like to see, just kinda plugging in the spots.

Blake just found himself some cap space, and he opened up a spot in the top 9. Seems to make sense for him to spend the cap space on a mid-level forward like Arvidsson or Toffoli. Would be amazing if he could sign Stamkos. I do hope that Fagemo gets a shot at making the top 9 this fall. Hard to deny the numbers he put up in the AHL. Kaliyev was excellent with Moore and Danault last year; he can really benefit from playing consistently with players that can get him the puck. I personally really like the look of a Fiala-Byfield-Laferriere line. Three skilled and unpredictable players with speed.

Blake really has 3 second lines for a top 9 if Byfield moves to center.

FSL KINGS

May 10, 2021
Looking at the finals, really like how Florida plays. Goalie playing well, good D structure, amazing foreccheck. Hitting & pressuring the puck all over the ice.

Compared to the Oilers, bad goal, bad defense, bad 5v5 & clinging to special teams to win games.

It's a lot easier to get 5 guys that can run a PP than get a whole team to play well. Hope Blake is looking at Florida & not Edmonton as a model. :laugh: Sorry, it just popped in there. What if Blake is looking at the Oilers! AAAAHHH!

Biggest problem at this point is Doughty's inability to wrist, pass or shoot, the puck. He needs to be paired with a puck mover because he's relying too much on Mikey to get the puck up the ice. He's basically going to kill transition for 20 mins a night with King's top players on the ice & he needs to be the shoot only option for one timers on the power play because his passing & playmaking are so bad.

Just tell Doughty they're starting a rebuild & trade him to a contender in the East.

Edit: & get the Lewis contract done!

chris kontos

Feb 28, 2023
Get zadorov and build a defense first team like you keep saying is our identify. We have enough small defenseman and too many of the same kind of players- lewis, laferriere.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV

If Blake gets Laine immediately after the whole PLD debacle then it should be legal for Kings fans to burn down Blake's office.

FSL KINGS

May 10, 2021
Get zadorov and build a defense first team like you keep saying is our identify. We have enough small defenseman and too many of the same kind of players- lewis, laferriere.
Was there a post on the main trade section about some team offering Zadorov 6X6?

MonkeysUncle

May 31, 2024
San Diego County
If Blake gets Laine immediately after the whole PLD debacle then it should be legal for Kings fans to burn down Blake's office.
No thx, Laine is the exact opposite of what Blake said about players getting uncomfortable. if you're going big go Necas or Ehlers,

Was there a post on the main trade section about some team offering Zadorov 6X6?
Not at that price, didnt we learn lesson from paying A defensive defenseman $$ in Gavrikov. I'd call Ottawa and look at JC or Tyler kleven (who can grow with team)

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
No thx, Laine is the exact opposite of what Blake said about players getting uncomfortable. if you're going big go Necas or Ehlers,

Not at that price, didnt we learn lesson from paying A defensive defenseman $$ in Gavrikov. I'd call Ottawa and look at JC or Tyler kleven (who can grow with team)
JC would require overpayment, make the team worse defensively and not bring any physicality which is what we need. Any additional LD means Englund is the odd man out, so they have to be tough. I’m all for upgrading that spot but it needs to be someone tough and physical. We just got rid of a soft big guy, we don’t need another one.

Reactions: chris kontos

MonkeysUncle

May 31, 2024
San Diego County
JC would require overpayment, make the team worse defensively and not bring any physicality which is what we need. Any additional LD means Englund is the odd man out, so they have to be tough. I’m all for upgrading that spot but it needs to be someone tough and physical. We just got rid of a soft big guy, we don’t need another one.
I agree with thatvto a point, but they also have to be able to play and be a bit more mobile that what we have. We should not go into season with Englund in top 6.
What about Tyler Kleven out of Ottawa.
Who did you have in mind

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad