Speculation: Fire Rob Blake Blow it Up Offseason Thread (update: Robitaille, Blake and Hiller stay)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Thats what I thought - so you have a link because seems a lot of posters are saying this is fake news
He's referring to a Hoven article that said why the Kings would benefit. It was more of a think piece, but it wasn't very clear, so it was misunderstood.

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
He's referring to a Hoven article that said why the Kings would benefit. It was more of a think piece, but it wasn't very clear, so it was misunderstood.
Oh thanks for clearing it up. So its unknown one way or the other. Either way Clarke shouldve been playing full time. If you can live with Laf's growing pains (and Durzi's in other years), you for sure could live with giant offense upside and BC learning D on the job.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
Turcotte - I think he might be slightly better if he stayed in the NCAA with a focus of building strength. He had his bell rung quite a few times. I think like Vilardi, he's had some circumstances with his health that have caused issues.

I have wondered if Brisson wanted him to come out of school early to get his contract signed before potential injuries prevented him from even getting to his ELC.

MonkeysUncle

May 31, 2024
San Diego County
I have wondered if Brisson wanted him to come out of school early to get his contract signed before potential injuries prevented him from even getting to his ELC.
That would be a concern. Did Turcotte have health issues before he was drafted? Curious how many Brisson clients are ufas? Is Ehlers a Brisson client? Just curious to if any of his ufas end up here.

Reactions: Surf Nutz

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan

It would have taken a career ending type of injury for the Kings to not sign a #5 overall pick, sure the kid was not what was expected at UW, but he wasn't exactly Colten Teubert or Jack Hughes (our JH) either, it was still a guy with legit NHL upside, even if not as much as we all had hoped. ELC's are two-way deals so even if Turcotte broke down on it, there would be no risk to the Kings, other than it counting as one of the 40 contracts teams are allowed to have.

Brisson has had plenty of clients play two years, including Caufield from the same draft and same team. In fact it was everyones favorite boogey-man and destroyer of Rob Blake's vision Marc Bergevin who as GM of the Habs told Cole Caufield to return to college rather than sign with the Habs and play in the AHL.

Nothing much to read into the poor decision with Turcotte, it was another of many examples where Rob Blake trusts Glen Murray and his development team more than he trusts proven methods of player development, in this case even when it was a former Chevy-era King doing the coaching. No matter what a player or player agent want, the decision to sign a player from college falls on the team, and nobody but the team. The Kings could very well have said exactly what the Habs said. And if Brisson and Turcotte didn't want to be at UW the Kings could have told him to go to Saginaw, which also would have been a much better spot than Ontario.

LOL normally I am the one that just responds/reads what I want etc, but here you literally have ZERO idea about how I feel about management, you think because I disagree with you, I think they have been good/great....

I think you are so far off base on Byfield, because you are focused on the Macro, that you forget the micro, you think every #1-#2 should be handled the same way, every player should be handled the same way, if they are top 10 pick, straight to the NHL with you....which is what LA did in the Taylor years and we know how well that all played out.....

There's a reason why your typically #1-#2 plays right away these days, A. cap, B. there's no pressure to win so they can play like Stultze and Zegras with ZERO consequences.....which can backfire, I mean Anaheim is looking to dump Zegras...if the rumours are true....gee...I wonder why....

Why is it always the Kings doing it differently? Why are the Kings always the outlier? Why if only one forward taken in the Top 2 in the previous decade doesn't play in the NHL it's the Kings? Why is it the Kings who put a player in the AHL coming off a historic OHL season? Why is it the Kings who pull a player from college after a disappointing freshman to put him in the AHL and no one else does? Why is it always AHL AHL AHL with the Kings? You talk of multiple ways to develop a player yet with the Kings it's always the AHL, why? Why did Montreal return a much better player to the same college team, same coach and same system but the Kings immediately pulled him? If there are multiple ways to develop high-end players why do we see the Kings only develop one way?

You love to use these examples, like your flawed one about Nemec (who has more than double the NHL games of Clarke despite being a year younger). But NJ has also put other high-end pieces into the NHL right away without any AHL time. This tells me that NJ is not set in their ways one way or the other, can you say the same of the Kings? If the Kings aren't set in their ways, why do their top picks have more AHL games than any other teams 1st round picks, despite four of these players being taken very high in the draft.

These guys like Yannetti, Murray and Emerson are going onto podcasts and telling the fanbase that they are a slow cook team, I believe Yannetti even said on last years interview, more so than any other team, yet you just refuse to accept it. You are stressing multiple ways to develop players, yet defending an organization that is literally telling you they only develop guys one way.

Last edited:

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
That would be a concern. Did Turcotte have health issues before he was drafted? Curious how many Brisson clients are ufas? Is Ehlers a Brisson client? Just curious to if any of his ufas end up here.
IIRC he was injured at the draft.

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
Yes he had a hip injury that messed up part of his draft year (couldve been others).. One thing i learned from this article is Wrobo was his coach at the NTDP - didnt know that.

Reactions: MonkeysUncle

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Why do people who complain about everybody here continue to post here?

It’s like saying you hate a restaurant, yet keep showing up.
Well, because someday the restaurant might make a hot dog 🌭 correctly, and see I t old you so!

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
It would have taken a career ending type of injury for the Kings to not sign a #5 overall pick, sure the kid was not what was expected at UW, but he wasn't exactly Colten Teubert or Jack Hughes (our JH) either, it was still a guy with legit NHL upside, even if not as much as we all had hoped. ELC's are two-way deals so even if Turcotte broke down on it, there would be no risk to the Kings, other than it counting as one of the 40 contracts teams are allowed to have.

Brisson has had plenty of clients play two years, including Caufield from the same draft and same team. In fact it was everyones favorite boogey-man and destroyer of Rob Blake's vision Marc Bergevin who as GM of the Habs told Cole Caufield to return to college rather than sign with the Habs and play in the AHL.

Nothing much to read into the poor decision with Turcotte, it was another of many examples where Rob Blake trusts Glen Murray and his development team more than he trusts proven methods of player development, in this case even when it was a former Chevy-era King doing the coaching. No matter what a player or player agent want, the decision to sign a player from college falls on the team, and nobody but the team. The Kings could very well have said exactly what the Habs said. And if Brisson and Turcotte didn't want to be at UW the Kings could have told him to go to Saginaw, which also would have been a much better spot than Ontario.

Why is it always the Kings doing it differently? Why are the Kings always the outlier? Why if only one forward taken in the Top 2 in the previous decade doesn't play in the NHL it's the Kings? Why is it the Kings who put a player in the AHL coming off a historic OHL season? Why is it the Kings who pull a player from college after a disappointing freshman to put him in the AHL and no one else does? Why is it always AHL AHL AHL with the Kings? You talk of multiple ways to develop a player yet with the Kings it's always the AHL, why? Why did Montreal return a much better player to the same college team, same coach and same system but the Kings immediately pulled him? If there are multiple ways to develop high-end players why do we see the Kings only develop one way?

You love to use these examples, like your flawed one about Nemec (who has more than double the NHL games of Clarke despite being a year younger). But NJ has also put other high-end pieces into the NHL right away without any AHL time. This tells me that NJ is not set in their ways one way or the other, can you say the same of the Kings? If the Kings aren't set in their ways, why do their top picks have more AHL games than any other teams 1st round picks, despite four of these players being taken very high in the draft.

These guys like Yannetti, Murray and Emerson are going onto podcasts and telling the fanbase that they are a slow cook team, I believe Yannetti even said on last years interview, more so than any other team, yet you just refuse to accept it. You are stressing multiple ways to develop players, yet defending an organization that is literally telling you they only develop guys one way.

Why are you comparing Colefield and Turcotte as if they are the same player and will develop the same way with the same methods?

Why are you always using a broad blanket brush to every prospect, you say proven way of developing players, and then paint every top 5 prospect with the same brush,

You keep saying Clarke had a historic OHL season (he did) like it matters in the NHL? Wanna take a guess on how many top goal scorers in the CHL not just OHL, but the CHL that didn't make it in the NHL, or didn't turn into scorers in the NHL? League is LITTERED with them,

BTW, you gotta tell me which week it is, are we BELIEVING what they say this week or are we NOT BELIEVING what they say, because you seem to change that more than you do your socks, if we aren't to believe what they say, why do you believe this, you say Yanetti lied, but you believe him on this?

They absolutely put prospects in the AHL, they also, play young players frequently, they can do both, right?

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
KRL5rY.gif

CarlSneep

Feb 26, 2023
Watching old 2014 games and man, I loved that style of play so much more than what we saw this season. Just hounding the puck in the offensive zone, grinding it against the wall, searching for tips and rebounds. Every young forward in the org should be required to watch Justin Williams highlights Clockwork Orange-style until they realize that they don't have to be big to cycle the puck against the boards.

Also, I know Justin Williams won the Conn Smythe but it's crazy that Anze went up against Couture/Marleau, Getzlaf/Perry, Hossa/Toews, and Stepan/Nash (lol) and came out ahead in goals scored, CF%, xGF%, etc that playoffs. What a gauntlet.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Watching old 2014 games and man, I loved that style of play so much more than what we saw this season. Just hounding the puck in the offensive zone, grinding it against the wall, searching for tips and rebounds. Every young forward in the org should be required to watch Justin Williams highlights Clockwork Orange-style until they realize that they don't have to be big to cycle the puck against the boards.

Also, I know Justin Williams won the Conn Smythe but it's crazy that Anze went up against Couture/Marleau, Getzlaf/Perry, Hossa/Toews, and Stepan/Nash (lol) and came out ahead in goals scored, CF%, xGF%, etc that playoffs. What a gauntlet.
Been saying it for years if Kopitar was Canadian or was playing in an eastern market he would have more hardware and be better appreciated.

Reactions: RocketKing

bland

Jul 1, 2004
Been saying it for years if Kopitar was Canadian or was playing in an eastern market he would have more hardware and be better appreciated.
If Kopitar had been as effective in the third and fourth rounds of the playoffs as he was in rounds one and two, he would have two Smythe trophies. The best hockey he has ever played was in the first two rounds of 2014, but he was mildly outplayed by Toews head to head, and his line was off the boil against the Rags. Didn't help that he didn't have a significant shutdown matchup in either Finals series to showcase his strengths to the most eyes either.

Reactions: BigKing

chris kontos

Feb 28, 2023
I felt good to hear ray ferraro last night compare sasha barkov to kopitar and to the panthers of this season to the 2015 kings stanley cup championship team. And what a great and winning formula both teams had/have.
Chicks dig scoring goals but defense wins championships.
That is, provided you dont try to run the system with a bunch of smallish same handed players and rapidly aging out superstars. And i could go on and on but why argue endlessly about a team without management ethics, who dont appear to know thier asses from a hole in the ground with people that appearently think that turning chicken shit into chicken salad is going to change outcomes.
f*** arguing.

Last edited:

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
If Kopitar had been as effective in the third and fourth rounds of the playoffs as he was in rounds one and two, he would have two Smythe trophies. The best hockey he has ever played was in the first two rounds of 2014, but he was mildly outplayed by Toews head to head, and his line was off the boil against the Rags. Didn't help that he didn't have a significant shutdown matchup in either Finals series to showcase his strengths to the most eyes either.
The Smythe was right there for Kopitar or Doughty heading into the 2014 SCF but Williams kept up with the heroics. Both guys had a ton of heat going into the Rangers series. Doughty had the amazing goal in Game 1 but also the horrible turnover that led to a goal prior to that and I'm pretty sure he got walked by Boyle pretty badly.

Quick's numbers in 2012 were too insane to ignore, plus it was on top of what should have been a Vezina regular season.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB

I think it speaks volumes that the hawks had to gameplan to shut down kopitar. Quick deserved the award in 2012. In 2014 I though Kopitar or Gaborik had equal chance to Williams

Reactions: King'sPawn

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Why are you comparing Colefield and Turcotte as if they are the same player and will develop the same way with the same methods?

Why are you always using a broad blanket brush to every prospect, you say proven way of developing players, and then paint every top 5 prospect with the same brush,

You keep saying Clarke had a historic OHL season (he did) like it matters in the NHL? Wanna take a guess on how many top goal scorers in the CHL not just OHL, but the CHL that didn't make it in the NHL, or didn't turn into scorers in the NHL? League is LITTERED with them,

BTW, you gotta tell me which week it is, are we BELIEVING what they say this week or are we NOT BELIEVING what they say, because you seem to change that more than you do your socks, if we aren't to believe what they say, why do you believe this, you say Yanetti lied, but you believe him on this?

They absolutely put prospects in the AHL, they also, play young players frequently, they can do both, right?

You can replace Caufield with almost every other NCAA player. I referenced him because he was the same age, from the same draft, the same college program, the same coach, the same agent. Both players wished to leave school after their freshman year, one team obliged, put their player in the AHL at 19 and has seen historically poor results five years in from a top-5 pick (1 goal, 4 points in 32 NHL games), the other told their player to return to college and five years in has a player with 80 goals and 150 points in 205 NHL games. Caufield was handled the way NHL teams generally handle those types of players, Turcotte was not, and the results show everyone why that is. If Quinn Hughes, Cale Makar, Brock Faber, Owen Power, Matty Beniers, Cutter Gauthier, Luke Hughes and Matt Boldy played two years of college, why didn't Turcotte? This gets back to the same question I asked, which of course wasn't answered, why are the Kings so much different than everyone else?

Nobody other than you disputes that the Kings are a slow cook team, my gripe was with historical comparisons to previous Kings teams that simply did not align with what actually happened with most of the top players of that era, not that they are lying about being a slow cook team now. They all acknowledge it, all the fans acknowledge it, looking at the facts and seeing the staggering number of AHL games played by Kings 1st rounders should be all the evidence that is needed, but you continue to insist they aren't different than other teams, and that is on you if you are incapable of comprehending factual data put right before you.

Why are the Kings always the outlier?
If there are so many ways to develop players, why do the Kings only do it one way?
If all these other teams are able to put players into the NHL with little or in most cases, zero AHL time, why can't the Kings?
If learning the system is so important to Kings prospects why is it not to teams with similarly drafted ones?
Is the Kings system more complex than everyone elses?
Why has every team that has had at least two top 10 picks put at least one them in the NHL without any AHL time but the Kings can't?
You truly believe the Kings do not slow-cook players at levels more than other teams do?
If no, why do members of the organization say this on podcasts?

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I think it speaks volumes that the hawks had to gameplan to shut down kopitar. Quick deserved the award in 2012. In 2014 I though Kopitar or Gaborik had equal chance to Williams
It was pretty close between them anyway. Toews had 4 G, 1 A in the series. Kopitar had 4 A.

So it looks like two very good two-way players who tried keeping each other shut down.

Kopitar had 2 assists in 5 games against the New York Lundqvists in the final. So far superstar scorer Connor McDavid has 3 assists in 3 games versus Florida. Barkov has 1 G, 3 A against Stuart Skinner.

It just gets more difficult to score the further along you go. And multiple talented players keep each other in check. It's why they're good players.

Surf Nutz

Hockey Remote Viewer With A Frozen Finger
May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
LOL normally I am the one that just responds/reads what I want etc, but here you literally have ZERO idea about how I feel about management, you think because I disagree with you, I think they have been good/great....

I think you are so far off base on Byfield, because you are focused on the Macro, that you forget the micro, you think every #1-#2 should be handled the same way, every player should be handled the same way, if they are top 10 pick, straight to the NHL with you....which is what LA did in the Taylor years and we know how well that all played out.....

There's a reason why your typically #1-#2 plays right away these days, A. cap, B. there's no pressure to win so they can play like Stultze and Zegras with ZERO consequences.....which can backfire, I mean Anaheim is looking to dump Zegras...if the rumours are true....gee...I wonder why....

He is an extremist, says the same things year after year, I recommend you disengage and block him.

I did and the flow of the board is up and the annoyance is way down.

Save the windsocks for the airport.

Last edited:

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
You can replace Caufield with almost every other NCAA player. I referenced him because he was the same age, from the same draft, the same college program, the same coach, the same agent. Both players wished to leave school after their freshman year, one team obliged, put their player in the AHL at 19 and has seen historically poor results five years in from a top-5 pick (1 goal, 4 points in 32 NHL games), the other told their player to return to college and five years in has a player with 80 goals and 150 points in 205 NHL games. Caufield was handled the way NHL teams generally handle those types of players, Turcotte was not, and the results show everyone why that is. If Quinn Hughes, Cale Makar, Brock Faber, Owen Power, Matty Beniers, Cutter Gauthier, Luke Hughes and Matt Boldy played two years of college, why didn't Turcotte? This gets back to the same question I asked, which of course wasn't answered, why are the Kings so much different than everyone else?

Nobody other than you disputes that the Kings are a slow cook team, my gripe was with historical comparisons to previous Kings teams that simply did not align with what actually happened with most of the top players of that era, not that they are lying about being a slow cook team now. They all acknowledge it, all the fans acknowledge it, looking at the facts and seeing the staggering number of AHL games played by Kings 1st rounders should be all the evidence that is needed, but you continue to insist they aren't different than other teams, and that is on you if you are incapable of comprehending factual data put right before you.

Why are the Kings always the outlier?
If there are so many ways to develop players, why do the Kings only do it one way?
If all these other teams are able to put players into the NHL with little or in most cases, zero AHL time, why can't the Kings?
If learning the system is so important to Kings prospects why is it not to teams with similarly drafted ones?
Is the Kings system more complex than everyone elses?
Why has every team that has had at least two top 10 picks put at least one them in the NHL without any AHL time but the Kings can't?
You truly believe the Kings do not slow-cook players at levels more than other teams do?
If no, why do members of the organization say this on podcasts?

Now you are making shit up, I never said they WERENT a slow cook team, no more than ANY OTHER TEAM....look at all the players you mentioned, Hughes, Makar, Faber, Power, Beniers, Gauthier (who as far as I know hasn't even played a f***ing NHL game, but ok sure) Hughes and Boldy.....there's one theme BESIDES playing 2 years of college....they all play for teams, that have nothing to f***ing play for, with the exception of Makar, every other team, had nothing to play for, there was no harm in playing them straight, because there was no expectation of winning.

You keep saying the Kings are the "outlier" but all in all they have run things the same since DL, before DL, they bum rushed every prospect they had to the NHL, and with the exception of Kopitar, they all fell flat on their face, not a single prospect, that was rushed, turned into anything in LA, DL came in, and said, let's not do that anymore, (he did it with Doughty, and Simmonds, and a few players, absolutely) but he put more players in the AHL, than he did straight into the NHL....this LA team is doing the same, to a degree, you would have absolutely destroyed Byfield playing him right into the NHL, remember Oli Jokinen? they rushed him and put him years back, he didn't end up getting until his 3rd NHL team.

You keep saying Kings only develop one way, but that's blatantly false, they are clearly running it per player,

Every team that has at least two top 10 picks, for the most part, sucks donkey balls and again, has nothing to play for, their goal isn't winning, you touted Zegras as a better pick than Turcotte, and you are 100% right, tell me though, why is Anaheim trying to move on from him? They played him right away....why move on if he's that talented of a player (he is.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad