Speculation: Fire Rob Blake Blow it Up Offseason Thread (update: Robitaille, Blake and Hiller stay)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

All The Kings Men

Apr 7, 2016
Hoven's roster preview article mentions a significant penalty for being over the cap last year due to a Talbot bonus. Has this been discussed but buried under all the other failures?

It's depressing that this performance did not lead to a firing. Also depressing is that projected roster.
Talbot signed a $1M contract with a $1M bonus if he played 10 games.

Some people that cover the team ignored it and repeatedly referred to it as a $1M contract.
Some people repeatedly mentioned that there was a $1M bonus that would kick in provided he met an incredibly small handful of games.

Reactions: BigKing

bland

Jul 1, 2004
So help me understand this...they will have $1,850M of dead cap next season so they could ice a roster that was worse than the one the year prior? All for a guy that lost the starting job in the playoffs to the team's 3rd string goalie?
They have been borrowing from loan shark Peter to under pay Paul for years now.

you guys just dont get it

WE WERE RIGHT THERE
Best seats in town to watch good hockey.

MonkeysUncle

May 31, 2024
San Diego County
So help me understand this...they will have $1,850M of dead cap next season so they could ice a roster that was worse than the one the year prior? All for a guy that lost the starting job in the playoffs to the team's 3rd string goalie?
Wonder if we would be having all these cap problems if Jeff Solomon was still here.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
I think half(ish) of that was Byfield's bonus for 20 goals

SaltyElkHunter

I …. am…. The LA Kings!
Apr 24, 2019
Utah

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
If Byfield was going to get a bonus for 20 goals and 35 assists, why didn't the Kings just sit him the last games of the season when the team had absolutely nothing to play for?

The Mouth of Bluc told us bonuses were why Clarke was in AHL, they were afraid he was going to score at an 80 point pace over the 2nd half of the year. But they allowed QB to get there in a meaningless game, actually in a game where winning hurt the Kings playoff chances.

Master Class!

BaileyFan

Jun 14, 2023
Hoven's roster preview article mentions a significant penalty for being over the cap last year due to a Talbot bonus. Has this been discussed but buried under all the other failures?

It's depressing that this performance did not lead to a firing. Also depressing is that projected roster.
Lewis likely returning, Roy extension and Spence trade still a possibility, Copley returning as the 3rd goalie (gotta throw up a roadblock for Portillo in the AHL), Dubois not bought out but shifted to wing 1 year after they paid him to be a Kopitar replacement, moving Fiala to his off-wing so they can bring back Toffoli on a long term deal. That is depressing.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
How awesome is it that the last time the Kings won a playoff series was a decade ago, when they won the Stanley Cup?

But these Kings are so close to getting there again. They were just 15 wins away from achieving it.

Anyone predicting on that day that that would be the last playoff series win for the organization in the next decade?

Or that they really should've blown it up at that deadline? A roster that went down 0-3 and had to win win 3 Game 7's. Another 3 OT wins at home in the Final against an eastern team? A contender does not continuously exist on the knife's edge. Perfect opportunity to trade Kopitar. Don't get Gaborik, don't give out the stupid contract. Not to mention the criminals on the roster that you always need some of.

One shot away, many times, from being a one hit wonder. We should've known.

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com

Some people that cover the team ignored it and repeatedly referred to it as a $1M contract.
Some people repeatedly mentioned that there was a $1M bonus that would kick in provided he met an incredibly small handful of games.
Talk about blowing out your cap - ensuring next season starts out down a mil.. no wonder they were so worried about Clarke reaching his bonuses...watching Byfield hit both of his on the last game of the season mustve been a gut punch.

shuchukfan

Mar 11, 2015
OC
How awesome is it that the last time the Kings won a playoff series was a decade ago, when they won the Stanley Cup?

But these Kings are so close to getting there again. They were just 15 wins away from achieving it.

That run took years off of my life. I should have been more relaxed since they finally won two years prior, but that was the most stressed I've ever been watching the playoffs. I remember putting the games on mute because the play-by-play was making me even more nervous. The elation when they won was something else, though.

Reactions: tigermask48

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014

I recall you mentioning it more than once… well I think it was you :laugh:. I no longer trust my memory.

All The Kings Men

Apr 7, 2016
Interesting...would have thought the article would have mentioned that. Seemed to imply it was due to Talbot.
$1M of it is Talbot bonus
$850,000 is a result of Byfield bonus(ES)

Talbot signed a one year Standard Player Contract and was older than 35 and so was eligible for a performance bonus. The bonus was activated when he played his 10th game on November 8th.

Byfield qualified for Entry Level Contract performance bonuses.

"A" Bonuses are worth $212,500 each, to a maximum of $850,000 (maximum 4 achieved).

Byfield earned a bonus for
- scoring 20 goals
- scoring 35 assists
- Top six in Time on Ice among forwards (in total and/or per game) on team (minimum 42 games)
- Top three in +/- among forwards on team (minimum 42 games)

I recall you mentioning it more than once… well I think it was you :laugh:. I no longer trust my memory.
It was me.

Talk about blowing out your cap - ensuring next season starts out down a mil.. no wonder they were so worried about Clarke reaching his bonuses...watching Byfield hit both of his on the last game of the season mustve been a gut punch.
The Clarke bonus thing was never confirmed it was speculation and I refuse to believe it and it annoys me every time it's brought up even as a joke.

Altho the jokes are funny and do make me laugh.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Whatever reason it was to keep Clarke in the minors, whether it was "Learning the system", "Paying his dues" or concern over bonuses, it was an absolutely ridiculous decision that wouldn't have been made in other places around the league. That is why while the "Only the McDavid's can jump straight to the NHL line" by Surfin Muzz may have been made in sarcasm, it is rooted in reality.

18 players from that draft with more NHL games than Clarke, despite Clarke playing in a men's professional league in his draft year, having a historical season in the OHL and being almost point-per-game in the AHL.

But hey, I'm sure the morale is great for him, seeing comparable players like Owen Power having 7x as many NHL game-checks and already signed to a huge extension while Clarke rides busses to Tucson and Bakersfield every weekend making an 80k AHL salary.

Master Class!

BaileyFan

Jun 14, 2023
Whatever reason it was to keep Clarke in the minors, whether it was "Learning the system", "Paying his dues" or concern over bonuses, it was an absolutely ridiculous decision that wouldn't have been made in other places around the league. That is why while the "Only the McDavid's can jump straight to the NHL line" by Surfin Muzz may have been made in sarcasm, it is rooted in reality.

18 players from that draft with more NHL games than Clarke, despite Clarke playing in a men's professional league in his draft year, having a historical season in the OHL and being almost point-per-game in the AHL.

But hey, I'm sure the morale is great for him, seeing comparable players like Owen Power having 7x as many NHL game-checks and already signed to a huge extension while Clarke rides busses to Tucson and Bakersfield every weekend making an 80k AHL salary.

Master Class!
Clarke will wind up spending time in Ontario in 2024-25. You know this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad