Boston Bruins 2024-2025 Roster & Salary Cap Discussion V

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

While not officially announced, it seems a trade involving the Philadelphia Flyers and the Ottawa Senators is already in place and set to go through before or on draft day.

Travis Yost of TSN sparked significant speculation with his latest report dropping on June 19. He suggested that the Ottawa Senators and Philadelphia Flyers are close to finalizing a trade.

“Believe the Ottawa Senators and Philadelphia Flyers have the framework of a trade in place as well, though this one may go closer to the Draft,” Yost wrote.

The NHL draft is scheduled for June 28-29 in Las Vegas. Yost did not provide specifics on the potential players or picks involved. That, consequently, only added to the speculation and fostered conversations.

Both franchises will seek to explore all potential avenues to improve after disappointing seasons. The Senators and the Flyers fell short of making the playoffs. The former not getting close and the latter dropping out late.

Flyers beat writer Charlie O’Connor was asked by a fan about potential players involved in the trade, and he made his best guess on X.

I’ve heard the Sens still like Laughton even w/DJ Smith gone. I’ve heard PHI likes Pinto. Friedman reported they at least discussed Chychrun at the deadline. I heard Chabot was brought up. Then there’s the draft picks,” O’Connor wrote.

Draft Picks Believed to Be Central to Trade Framework​

As O’Connor mentioned at the end of his message, the trade discussions between the Senators and Flyers seem to revolve heavily around draft picks.

The Senators hold the No. 7 and No. 25 picks in the 2024 draft. The Flyers have the No. 12 pick overall.

There is a belief that a swap of Ottawa’s No. 7 overall selection with Philadelphia’s No. 12 pick could be part of the trade, on top of any players added from one or the two sides to make up for the difference in draft capital.

Such a move should allow the Senators to gain an additional asset while moving down slightly in the draft order.

Potential Flyers Players Involved in the Trade​

Several Flyers players have been mentioned in different trade rumors of late, including Travis Konecny, Scott Laughton, and Cam Atkinson.

Ariel Melendez of Broad Street Buzz discussed Yost’s report on June 19, touching on Konecny’s situation. Konecny is entering the final year of his contract and recently achieved a career-high 68 points. His cap hit is $5.5 million, with a total salary of $7 million due to bonuses.

Konecny played for the Ottawa 67s and his connection with former teammate Claude Giroux makes him a potential fit for the Senators. However, the lack of potential for an extension might deter Ottawa from pursuing him.

Scott Laughton was also mentioned by Melendez. Despite his fluctuating performance, Laughton appeared in all 82 games in 2024.

Steve Warne of The Hockey News brought Cam Atkinson’s name to the table. He surfaced due to his significant cap hit of nearly $5.9 million, despite scoring only 28 points in 70 games last season.

Warne thinks offloading his contract could benefit the Flyers, but his no-trade clause could pose a challenge. As the author points out in his story, Flyers GM Daniel Briere previously stated, “Everything is on the table,” indicating a willingness to consider all sorts of trade packages sent his way.

Potential Senators Players Getting Moved​

On the Senators’ side, several names have been mentioned too, including Jakob Chychrun, Thomas Chabot, and Shane Pinto.

Chychrun was mentioned by O’Connor. The defenseman played all 82 games last season and tied a career-high with 41 points. However, Philadelphia has a surplus of defensemen, which means they might not entertain landing him in the trade.

Thomas Chabot is another top defenseman whose name has come up in discussions, but he might find himself in the same situation if landing in Philadelphia. Chabot, who missed time due to injuries in 2024, scored 30 points in 51 games.

Finally, Shane Pinto is a young forward with his own woes (he missed part of the season due to a suspension for gambling). He comes with the biggest upside. Pinto scored 27 points in 41 games and should keep developing his game still aged 23 years old.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
So,

Philly trades #12 ++ to Ottawa for #7

Ottawa trades #12 + (believed to be a pick acquired Philly) + a player for Ullmark+

Ullmark needs to waive and accept the trade.

That's how I have it this morning.

I believe ya'll will be more than fine with the + on both sides that are current roster players.
Are the roster players considered top half guys or bottom half guys?

The implication is it’s a roster player - one from Philly and one from the Bruins.

So…an example would be 12 and Konecny for Ullmark and Geekie
Gimme Thicc Nic !!!!

Aussie Bruin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
I have this sneaky suspicion that wherever Ullmark winds up he regresses a bit, and not merely because he'll likely be playing behind a less defensively-capable team. Boston and the Sway bromance was just a perfect fit for him and brought out his best. Put him in a different situation and I suspect he won't be quite as good. No knock on him - great guy who gave us excellent service in net - but that's my hunch. The good thing is it's not our problem.

Liking the sound of these Ottawa rumors and potentially dealing back into the 1st round. Lord knows some genuine high-end talent is needed in the prospect pool. Let's see what happens.

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada
Compared to what LA gave up for PLD to then turn it into Kuemper should be a fireable offense.
Totally agree, what a terrible trade for the Kings.
This is a good example of what a trade looks like when you have to dump a long term high paying deal to someone who is underperforming.
There must be other issues with PLD...locker room issue / attitude?
It is his third trade so far in his early career.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
I have this sneaky suspicion that wherever Ullmark winds up he regresses a bit, and not merely because he'll likely be playing behind a less defensively-capable team. Boston and the Sway bromance was just a perfect fit for him and brought out his best. Put him in a different situation and I suspect he won't be quite as good. No knock on him - great guy who gave us excellent service in net - but that's my hunch. The good thing is it's not our problem.

Liking the sound of these Ottawa rumors and potentially dealing back into the 1st round. Lord knows some genuine high-end talent is needed in the prospect pool. Let's see what happens.

Attachments

• IMG_7025.jpeg
    IMG_7025.jpeg
    303.4 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_7024.jpeg
    IMG_7024.jpeg
    380 KB · Views: 1

Patdud

Sponsor
Mar 23, 2022
New Hampshire
So,

Ottawa trades #12 + (believed to be a pick acquired Philly) + a player for Ullmark+

I believe ya'll will be more than fine with the + on both sides that are current roster players.
Ullmark for 12th OA is more than a win all the other +++ are gravy

Reactions: sarge88 and TCB

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
So,

As long as Boston is not doing something silly like including Lohrei or Poitras in this deal I would be good with it

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023
So,

Ullmark + Geekie for 12 OA +extra Philly pick + one of Pinto/Greig/Chychrun? There's not a whole lot on that Sens roster that I'd want that I also think would be movable from the Sens POV.

Reactions: Sevendust

veganbruin

Sep 20, 2013
Boston, MA
The implication is it’s a roster player - one from Philly and one from the Bruins.

I just don’t see the Flyers moving Konecny do you? Not unless they are getting the best package. But if Sweeney turns Geekie into Konecny he should be knighted. I thought Haula into Zacha was impressive.

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada
He’s 200 foot game responsible and supports Uber skilled linemates like Tkachuk, Johnny Hockey, and EP

He will allow Pastrnak to create

Lindholm will go for 25-30 G and 60-70 points
Plus 30

Donny I am begging / make. It. Happen
I think the days of EL scoring 25-30 are a thing of the past.
20 is defineately attainable and the 60 points I agree with.
He does have a nice 200 ft game and is above average on faceoffs, something we need to improve on.
I put EL in the same group as Horvat / Karlsson/Eriksson Ek.

Reactions: DKH

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
I just don’t see the Flyers moving Konecny do you? Not unless they are getting the best package. But if Sweeney turns Geekie into Konecny he should be knighted. I thought Haula into Zacha was impressive.
I do. He’s up in a year. If he says he’s not resigning, you have to move him if you’re them. It’s also a Tortorella team so different rules apply.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border

An example but a poor one, no-way is ullmark bringing back Konecny and the 12th, one or the other maybe but not a chance both are coming to Boston for Ullmark with or without Geekie

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
An example but a poor one, no-way is ullmark bringing back Konecny and the 12th, one or the other maybe but not a chance both are coming to Boston for Ullmark with or without Geekie
I don’t agree. Could it be Farabee instead? Sure but they have him signed. I don’t think Boston makes that deal for Laughton.

Again, I’m staying within the parameters of the player coming back being from Philly. If it’s an Ottawa player, I don’t see anyone other than Chychrun making sense for Ottawa, and I don’t know how that makes sense for Boston given his contract status.

ripley

Nov 14, 2008
That makes sense

The Sens & Bruins people making deal are all former Bruins on same team so they likely have good lines of communication- and Daniel Alfredsson can help Ullmark transition

Ottawa to Sweden same as Boston & direct flights

Not sure about direct flights...indirect, sure...but YOW isn't a real Int'l airport.

Reactions: DKH

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada
I don’t agree. Could it be Farabee instead? Sure but they have him signed. I don’t think Boston makes that deal for Laughton.

Again, I’m staying within the parameters of the player coming back being from Philly. If it’s an Ottawa player, I don’t see anyone other than Chychrun making sense for Ottawa, and I don’t know how that makes sense for Boston given his contract status.
Farabee would fit in great on our team.
He has 30 goals plus as a potential for many years, is on 24 YO.
Can't see Philly parting ways with him.

Reactions: Gordoff

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
I can’t imagine they would do much better than that from a value standpoint.

I’m not in love with Chychrun, because of his next deal, but you would be in the same boat with Konecny.
As far as one more year until UFA, yes. But you have plenty of room for a resigned Konecny. Are you resigning Chychrun with Lohrei there? Definitely the same type of defenseman, at least at a high level. You’d be relegating Lohrei (or Chychrun) to third pair duty long term.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad