Prospect Info: Filip Mesar

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Mesar has been a disappointment, IMO.

He's doing OK. He had a let down after WJC, and ended up in a streak of only 2 points in 7 game, including 5 games with no points. That hurt his overall totals. Since then he has 12 pts in 12 gp with points in 8 of the 12 games. He's ppg in OHL as a rookie, and is improving.

He had 6 pts in 5 games at WJC, which is solid for an 18 year old.

Still lots of growth left for him this year.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Mesar has been a disappointment, IMO.
For me it's more seeing Kulich do so well at 18 in AHL. Mesar might in the end be better pick with the investment in Slafkovsky but hopefully it's not going to be one of those so close misses.

I just don't think he has that much offense, never saw it with my eyes and never saw it on the score sheet. Maybe he'll develop it later, but he doesn't have it now. Compared to Mesar where you can at least see the offensive creativity with your own eyes, even if it doesn't appear on the score sheet.

Skating with the puck and his release show lot of upside for offense. He was showing it before being traded on the scoresheet.

TomKosto

Oct 17, 2017
Montréal
He's doing OK. He had a let down after WJC, and ended up in a streak of only 2 points in 7 game, including 5 games with no points. That hurt his overall totals. Since then he has 12 pts in 12 gp with points in 8 of the 12 games. He's ppg in OHL as a rookie, and is improving.

We need more from a former first round pick. He's not having a great season, not the end of the world, but we need to be honest here.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
We need more from a former first round pick. He's not having a great season, not the end of the world, but we need to be honest here.

Which is why I said, he's doing OK, not great, but all things considered he's been OK. There's also still time for him to improve upon the year.

I simply don't think it's been some kind of lost year.

Reactions: Schooner Guy

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans

It’s very good….especially for powerhouse Slovakia.

Put Mesar on a Canadian squad and on Bedard’s line and we singing a different tune.

I fully expect Mesar to torch the O next season, there’s just too much talent there to stagnate at a PPG player in the CHL

gusfring

Jul 4, 2006
Exactly. You expect a first to take steps each year. He hasn't.

It’s very good….especially for powerhouse Slovakia.

Put Mesar on a Canadian squad and on Bedard’s line and we singing a different tune.

I fully expect Mesar to torch the O next season, there’s just too much talent there to stagnate at a PPG player in the CHL
What does "torch" mean?

Garo

Jul 30, 2005
Montréal
Don't worry... Habs just drafted Beck at 33 and Hutson at 62... that's insane!
That's also why stacking picks will always be worth it at the stage we are in. Mesar might bust, but it may matter a lot less than if we picked him 33rd and did not have Hutson and Beck.

We should just let them all play and work out their issues at this stage anyway, Mesar still has the skills that were interesting last year and he's been bouncing a lot. Same time next year would be more worrisome.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
He has not taken a jump from pre draft year to post draft year.

And, how do you quantify that considering he was playing in the Slovakian men's league last year? And, is in OHL this year!

There's absolutely no measurement you can use to justify that opinion.

The only measurement available, international junior tournaments, he has improved his play & his point totals every year over the last 3-years.

So, you're wrong.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
He has elite skating along with a good skill set. Patience is key with a kid at 18 living on another continent. He was solid at the WJC.
Just draft Dvorsky, trade for PLD and a top-4 RHD play the three Slovaks together on a kid line, third line.

Caufield - Suzuki - Dach (two-way, offensive line)
Farrell - PLD - Roy (two-way, shutdown line / offensive upside)
Slafkovsky - Dvorak - Mesar (exploitation, offensive line)
RHP - Evans/Beck - Heineman (energy line / defensive acumen / complementary offensive upside)
Gallagher, Armia (Veterans we are trying to get ride of - Armia, at least not around forever)

Hopefully, Hoffman is nabbed at the deadline, or else, buy him out for the last year of his contract.

No joke, that third line can be awesome in that role as an exploitation, offensive line.

Reactions: themilosh

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
how many games have you seen?
what's your take on him? I've only seen highlights but the stats are definitely a bit of a lunch bag let down. Was Kitchener that big a shit show?

With his skill set I would've assumed he would've put up more points regardless of the situation but I'll defer to whomever is more aware of the situation.

It's a bummer because out of all our Roys, Kidneys, Farrells, etc. I think we'd want Mesar to hit the most. imo at least.

gusfring

Jul 4, 2006
how many games have you seen?

And, how do you quantify that considering he was playing in the Slovakian men's league last year? And, is in OHL this year!

There's absolutely no measurement you can use to justify that opinion.

The only measurement available, international junior tournaments, he has improved his play & his point totals every year over the last 3-years.

So, you're wrong.
It's my opinion. I guess I can be proven wrong. We shall see.

Reactions: montreal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad