Prospect Info: Filip Mesar

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
This thread is becoming cringy like the Slafkovsky one.

Obviously we would have expected Mesar to produce more in the OHL but it can be taken into context, he has also shown big skills flashes.

What is really important is how he improves from there and how he will progress. He may have a killer season in the AHL or next year. He may disappoint again. We will see. But we need way more data to have a clear assessment.

A similar example is Fabian Lysell, he "disappointed" in his D+1 in the OHL. I haven't seen him play in the AHL this season but he has 27 points in 33 games and i have read some good things on him.

Dont forget that drafting after 20-25 overall is most likely B-tier and speculative prospects and the hit rate is low.

TomKosto

Oct 17, 2017
Montréal
This thread is becoming cringy like the Slafkovsky one.

Obviously we would have expected Mesar to produce more in the OHL but it can be taken into context, he has also shown big skills flashes.

What is really important is how he improves from there and how he will progress. He may have a killer season in the AHL or next year. He may disappoint again. We will see. But we need way more data to have a clear assessment.

A similar example is Fabian Lysell, he "disappointed" in his D+1 in the OHL. I haven't seen him play in the AHL this season but he has 27 points in 33 games and i have read some good things on him.

Dont forget that drafting after 20-25 overall is most likely B-tier and speculative prospects and the hit rate is low.
Should we only talk about prospects when they are doing good? I never saw that many excuses being thrown out to explain someone's bad season. Then again, he can bounce back next year, not every player development is linear, but there's place for concern.

bcv

My french sucks.
Sep 18, 2010
Should we only talk about prospects when they are doing good? I never saw that many excuses being thrown out to explain someone's bad season. Then again, he can bounce back next year, not every player development is linear, but there's place for concern.
That’s the thing tho, he isn’t having a bad season.

Being underwhelming =\= being bad

He got so overhyped on here at the beginning of the year, it was impossible for him to not disappoint.

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
I agree. High probability we haven't hit 100% on all of Slaf, Mesar, Beck and Hutson.

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022
how many games have you watched... PPG first year is not a disappointment in the OHL. Most top players right now are 19 years olds with 2-3 years of experience... At the moment Mesar's mission is a success, he's learning the NA system while being an asset for the Rangers. There's no player like him in the Kitchener's lineup

Was I expecting him to be a 200 Pts player this season? 100% but you gotta take some and leave some.

CristianoRonaldo

Apr 7, 2014
In your head
how many games have you watched... PPG first year is not a disappointment in the OHL. Most top players right now are 19 years olds with 2-3 years of experience... At the moment Mesar's mission is a success, he's learning the NA system while being an asset for the Rangers. There's no player like him in the Kitchener's lineup

Was I expecting him to be a 200 Pts player this season? 100% but you gotta take some and leave some.

So you expected 200 points from him, he's barely ppg, but it's not a disappointment ? At some point, talent needs to translate on the score sheet... Let's forget this first season and wish him the best for the next one.

bcv

My french sucks.
Sep 18, 2010
So you expected 200 points from him, he's barely ppg, but it's not a disappointment ? At some point, talent needs to translate on the score sheet... Let's forget this first season and wish him the best for the next one.
200 pts has never been achieved in the OHL’s history, so no it’s not a disappointment that he won’t get it.

TomKosto

Oct 17, 2017
Montréal

200pts for Mesar!?! You seem so biaised in all of your posts. At the end of the day, we need better stats from an offensive winger. It's not like he's a shutdown player. Let's hope he take a huge step next year.

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022
200pts for Mesar!?! You seem so biaised in all of your posts. At the end of the day, we need better stats from an offensive winger. It's not like he's a shutdown player. Let's hope he take a huge step next year.

its a meme

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
26th pick btw , all of you just got baited by bombshell at the start of the year and are expecting too much,

I like his tight area plays , very NHL like skillset on zone entries , guys gotta put on some weight and get stronger . Was a standout in rookie camp. It's not like the kid is ruining his career or anything with a disappointing first NA year

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022
26th pick btw , all of you just got baited by bombshell at the start of the year and are expecting too much,

I like his tight area plays , very NHL like skillset on zone entries , guys gotta put on some weight and get stronger . Was a standout in rookie camp. It's not like the kid is ruining his career or anything with a disappointing first NA year

It's not a disappointing first year by any stretch. I was expecting a little more for sure, like his first game he got 4 pts, i really thought he was that kind of a player but we also got to see his weaknesses's a little more and its nothing that can't be fixed if he trains like a gladiator in the summer.

I dont think hes the type of guy to leave it to chance, i'm pretty sure he'll work out hard this summer

Last edited:
Reactions: HabzSauce

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022
I love when all these fanboys get all butt hurt when you dare to suggest the player hasn't had a great season.

He hasn't. That's a fact. Is he a bust? No. But expecting more is not illogical.

no one said he had a great season... people were saying he was a disappointment... completely different

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York

PPG is fine, this is the OHL, a pretty rugged and tight league. Another year there will do wonder for him, he needs to work on his skating quite a bit.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
PPG is fine, this is the OHL, a pretty rugged and tight league. Another year there will do wonder for him, he needs to work on his skating quite a bit.

His skating is easily his strongest trait.

The OHL is not a "tight" league, all 3 CHL leagues are relatively high scoring leagues and his teammate Pinelli is has the 4th best PPG among the top ten scorers in the league.

I am not as worried about Mesar as the stat crowd is. He looked good at the WJC and I have seen enough of him in Kitchener to notice that something is off but his skating/hands/vision are all there and there appears to be something wrong with his situation in Kitchener.

Hopefully he can add some upper body strength this off season and plays in Laval next season.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
His skating is easily his strongest trait.

The OHL is not a "tight" league, all 3 CHL leagues are relatively high scoring leagues and his teammate Pinelli is has the 4th best PPG among the top ten scorers in the league.

I am not as worried about Mesar as the stat crowd is. He looked good at the WJC and I have seen enough of him in Kitchener to notice that something is off but his skating/hands/vision are all there and there appears to be something wrong with his situation in Kitchener.

Hopefully he can add some upper body strength this off season and plays in Laval next season.

It is easily his strongest trait, but he needs to be elite to have the effect he wants to have in the NHL. And yes the OHL is tighter than others CHL leagues right now...

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
It is easily his strongest trait, but he needs to be elite to have the effect he wants to have in the NHL. And yes the OHL is tighter than others CHL leagues right now...
The OHL is easily the highest scoring CHL league and Mesar needs to make zero improvement to his skating although it would always be nice to add more speed to any player. You couldn't have used two worse examples to explain Mesar's perceived shortcomings.

Average GPG per CHL team 2022/23:

QMJHL3.50
WHL3.43
OHL3.72

Reactions: Sagikev

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022
The OHL is easily the highest scoring CHL league and Mesar needs to make zero improvement to his skating although it would always be nice to add more speed to any player. You couldn't have used two worse examples to explain Mesar's perceived shortcomings.

Average GPG per CHL team 2022/23:

QMJHL3.50
WHL3.43
OHL3.72

How do you feel about him playing on the wing, we had arguments over this earlier this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad