Prospect Info: Filip Mesar

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Mar 12, 2009
Nice Bait

He now has 34 pts in 32 games BTW

Perhaps Slaf would have done better in the OHL, who knows... however its one thing to dominate out of physicality and another through skill and speed. Mesar has proven he can translate his game in the NHL againts men. So your take is bs. Slaf we have the proof the game is too fast for him.

Mesar is 2,3 levels ahead of Slaf in terms of hockey.
He's been disappointing most of the season. Great out of the gates, then slumped below a ppg for most of the season, has had a few hot games since the coach was fired and is just above a ppg...but based on the hype (draft position, habs fan hype, and personal viewings in NHL pre season, drawn out saga of whether he'll play in the AHL or not) he's been disappointing. Some of that could be related to the bad coaching, but even on a really bad team I would have expected him in the 1.5ppg area at least. He hasn't proven anything against men unless you think pre-season is the same as regular season NHL play.

he's hands down the most offensively productive player of the rangers, he gets 3-4 opportunities to his teammates every night and another 2-3 for himself. He does this consistently against any team. He did it yesterday and against London.

When you look at their games there's always one player that shines that does something exciting and its Mesar. He easily can become a 90 pts producer in the NHL, but for that he needs to develop his shot and a bit of strength, everything else he's more than ready for.

the only people who are under-evaluating him are the ones who don't watch him.

hello? he played pre-season games... he was better than Slaf in those few games.

you don't know what you're talking about and your takes are baseless, its pathetic
No he isn't lol...Pinelli is far and away more offensively productive by every metric this season. He gets opportunities but is also invisible when he doesn't have the puck most nights. If you see a 90 point player from the same OHL games I've been watching all year....well I don't know what to tell you other than I highly doubt you'd have that opinion if he wasn't a MTL prospect.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
He's been disappointing most of the season. Great out of the gates, then slumped below a ppg for most of the season, has had a few hot games since the coach was fired and is just above a ppg...but based on the hype (draft position, habs fan hype, and personal viewings in NHL pre season, drawn out saga of whether he'll play in the AHL or not) he's been disappointing. Some of that could be related to the bad coaching, but even on a really bad team I would have expected him in the 1.5ppg area at least. He hasn't proven anything against men unless you think pre-season is the same as regular season NHL play.

No he isn't lol...Pinelli is far and away more offensively productive by every metric this season. He gets opportunities but is also invisible when he doesn't have the puck most nights. If you see a 90 point player from the same OHL games I've been watching all year....well I don't know what to tell you other than I highly doubt you'd have that opinion if he wasn't a MTL prospect.
If you ask Mesar, he will tell you that Slaf is better than him.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022

The disappointing time you're referring too was right in the middle where he had World juniors duties. If you actually watch him play you will see he's the guy that produces the most chances.
Pinelli in some games will score 4 pts in some others he completely disappears. That is happening because he's limited talent wise, where as Mesar gets 5-8 chances per night. Other than Mesar none of the Ranger's players will be able to translate their game into the NHL, Mesar will be just as good and better as he's getting stronger.

He's got the full package and he's very modest, perfect for a captain in mtl eventually

• Haha
Reactions: nicehiss and bcv
Mar 12, 2009
The disappointing time you're referring too was right in the middle where he had World juniors duties. If you actually watch him play you will see he's the guy that produces the most chances.
Pinelli in some games will score 4 pts in some others he completely disappears. That is happening because he's limited talent wise, where as Mesar gets 5-8 chances per night. Other than Mesar none of the Ranger's players will be able to translate their game into the NHL, Mesar will be just as good and better as he's getting stronger.

He's got the full package and he's very modest, perfect for a captain in mtl eventually
I've seen the majority of his games in the OHL. Scoring 4 points and then disappearing is exactly how I would describe Mesar as well; one is more consistent and that would be Pinelli so far this year.
There's a lot to like about Mesar, but as a Kitchener fan he's been disappointing so far, granted the whole team has, and the last couple games he's looked like he's been in top form...I can tell I'm wasting my time based on how other MTL fans feel about your posts so that'll be it from me unless other fans have questions about Mesar from someone who actually watches him on a regular basis.

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
I've seen the majority of his games in the OHL. Scoring 4 points and then disappearing is exactly how I would describe Mesar as well; one is more consistent and that would be Pinelli so far this year.
There's a lot to like about Mesar, but as a Kitchener fan he's been disappointing so far, granted the whole team has, and the last couple games he's looked like he's been in top form...I can tell I'm wasting my time based on how other MTL fans feel about your posts so that'll be it from me unless other fans have questions about Mesar from someone who actually watches him on a regular basis.
I don't think that's fully true about the fans here CC, I have been pretty honest/realistic about Mesar and most seem to appreciate that. What you said is bang on. Everyone on Kitchener has been frustrating this year because they're an uncoached, disorganized mess. Pinelli warrants his fair share of criticism, but he has absolutely, without question, been better than Mesar.
Mesar has been as frustrating as any of them because of the unforced errors. Again last night, he had a number of intercepted, ill-advised passes. Worse, he had several poor defensive efforts where he basically gave up. Pinelli was as quiet as ever last night, but on average this year, he definitely creates more chances than Mesar. There are games where FM has looked overmatched at this level. They're punctuated by little flashes of brilliance, which is encouraging. But nothing near what you'd hope for.

There's not doubt Mesar is at his best when he's skating a lot, but when he stops moving his feet (which is too much), he is pretty bad. Still a long way to go. At least we know the ability is there.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
I don't think that's fully true about the fans here CC, I have been pretty honest/realistic about Mesar and most seem to appreciate that. What you said is bang on. Everyone on Kitchener has been frustrating this year because they're an uncoached, disorganized mess. Pinelli warrants his fair share of criticism, but he has absolutely, without question, been better than Mesar.
Mesar has been as frustrating as any of them because of the unforced errors. Again last night, he had a number of intercepted, ill-advised passes. Worse, he had several poor defensive efforts where he basically gave up. Pinelli was as quiet as ever last night, but on average this year, he definitely creates more chances than Mesar. There are games where FM has looked overmatched at this level. They're punctuated by little flashes of brilliance, which is encouraging. But nothing near what you'd hope for.

There's not doubt Mesar is at his best when he's skating a lot, but when he stops moving his feet (which is too much), he is pretty bad. Still a long way to go. At least we know the ability is there.
Sounds like we did Mesar's development a disservice by allowing Kitchener to have him. No offense but the absolute shitshow there has wasted an entire year for Mesar to work on flaws in his game, which was nearly the entire point of sending him to the OHL vs AHL.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016

There is not much more Mesar can do lately, Im watching the games as well and kid is skating like the wind, he works extremmely hard and generates alot of scoring chances and chaos in the offensive zone while being cautious about his 2-way game. Kid is playing with the softest 6'2 player I saw since Corey Urquhart, so you cant really expect the kid to do much more at even strength with such porous linemates. Rehkopf has some nice hands, but is a slow processor, soft like butter and doesnt work well in tight. Kid is a no draft for me.

• Haha
Reactions: WeThreeKings

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022

Lol?

Do you know many euro players coming from abroad that have had a better impact than Mesar?

I'll tell it to you square, we've been very disappointed sending Mesar to you guys. The feeling is mutual.

There is not much more Mesar can do lately, Im watching the games as well and kid is skating like the wind, he works extremmely hard and generates alot of scoring chances and chaos in the offensive zone while being cautious about his 2-way game. Kid is playing with the softest 6'2 player I saw since Corey Urquhart, so you cant really expect the kid to do much more at even strength with such porous linemates. Rehkopf has some nice hands, but is a slow processor, soft like butter and doesnt work well in tight. Kid is a no draft for me.
tell me about it

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
Sounds like we did Mesar's development a disservice by allowing Kitchener to have him. No offense but the absolute shitshow there has wasted an entire year for Mesar to work on flaws in his game, which was nearly the entire point of sending him to the OHL vs AHL.
With the coach they had, yes. Hopefully that changes now.
In the last few games he has generally been much better, yes, but this hasn't been true of his whole season. And last night, there were definitely more mistakes than strong plays. His chance generation has only been mediocre this year and you're right, some is on his linemates and a lot is on the system they play. But I hope he's learning he has to move his feet consistently. And there are still far too many forced passes to covered lanes. A video breakdown of his decision making would show a lot of room for improvement.

Reactions: montreal
Mar 12, 2009

Regarding the fans I was meaning that based on how other MTL fans react to that particular MTL poster, I could tell I was wasting my time with that person specifically and would answer questions other MTL fans had (if they had any). Just wanted to clarify, my post may not have been that clear.

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022
Regarding the fans I was meaning that based on how other MTL fans react to that particular MTL poster, I could tell I was wasting my time with that person specifically and would answer questions other MTL fans had (if they had any). Just wanted to clarify, my post may not have been that clear.

I dare you to tell me something that I don't know about Mesar.

Go for it

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
With the coach they had, yes. Hopefully that changes now.

In the last few games he has generally been much better, yes, but this hasn't been true of his whole season. And last night, there were definitely more mistakes than strong plays. His chance generation has only been mediocre this year and you're right, some is on his linemates and a lot is on the system they play. But I hope he's learning he has to move his feet consistently. And there are still far too many forced passes to covered lanes. A video breakdown of his decision making would show a lot of room for improvement.
I agree that the season as a whole hasnt been great, I think no one will debate this, we can blame the coach, the system, his teammates ect, but there is no denying that Mesar had a disappointing year himself too.. But lately, he is pushing hard and tries to be a difference maker every shifts. I missed the first half of the last game, but thought he looked pretty good again against London. I do agree that some of his passes dont get through at times and maybe kid should be a bit more patient, but in the whole, I find his passing has been pretty sharp and generates alot of scoring chances lately. For 5 great passes, 1 wont work, thats still a pretty good ratio.

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022
I agree that the season as a whole hasnt been great, I think no one will debate this, we can blame the coach, the system, his teammates ect, but there is no denying that Mesar had a disappointing year himself too.. But lately, he is pushing hard and tries to be a difference maker every shifts. I missed the first half of the last game, but thought he looked pretty good again against London. I do agree that some of his passes dont get through at times and maybe kid should be a bit more patient, but in the whole, I find his passing has been pretty sharp and generates alot of scoring chances lately. For 5 great passes, 1 wont work, thats still a pretty good ratio.

I bet you the PP strat they're employing is killing him inside. They're way to static, he likes to move with the puck, use his agility and speed to make openings but he doesn't have alot of opportunities to do that.

Reactions: Goldenhands

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
Agreed completely there. I still love his skillset. He's just working through things and that's what development is all about.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
I bet you the PP strat they're employing is killing him inside. They're way to static, he likes to move with the puck, use his agility and speed to make openings but he doesn't have alot of opportunities to do that.
Thats pretty static indeed, the puck doesnt move very quickly unless Mesar is the one moving and distributing it.

Reactions: Bombshell11

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022

I mean look at him, he's literally entering the offensive zone 1v4 like it was a walk in the park... he attracts the whole squad at him and and that pass at the end... what a beauty, we're very fortunate he's our player he's going to become a beast for us.

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016

I mean look at him, he's literally entering the offensive zone 1v4 like it was a walk in the park... he attracts the whole squad at him and and that pass at the end... what a beauty, we're very fortunate he's our player he's going to become a beast for us.

He is really skilled, great two-way ability aswell. I have big hope for him!

Reactions: Bombshell11

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad