Prospect Info: Filip Mesar

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
His skating is easily his strongest trait.

The OHL is not a "tight" league, all 3 CHL leagues are relatively high scoring leagues and his teammate Pinelli is has the 4th best PPG among the top ten scorers in the league.

I am not as worried about Mesar as the stat crowd is. He looked good at the WJC and I have seen enough of him in Kitchener to notice that something is off but his skating/hands/vision are all there and there appears to be something wrong with his situation in Kitchener.

Hopefully he can add some upper body strength this off season and plays in Laval next season.
OHL is not tight, you’re right. Looked pretty shallow to me against my Piques the other day.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
what's your take on him? I've only seen highlights but the stats are definitely a bit of a lunch bag let down. Was Kitchener that big a shit show?

With his skill set I would've assumed he would've put up more points regardless of the situation but I'll defer to whomever is more aware of the situation.

It's a bummer because out of all our Roys, Kidneys, Farrells, etc. I think we'd want Mesar to hit the most. imo at least.

he's impressed me at times, others he looks disinterested.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
OHL is not tight, you’re right. Looked pretty shallow to me against my Piques the other day.
I wouldn't put any stock in meaningless exhibition games. All three leagues are good and the top teams from each league are always fairly equal. Exhibition games and short tournaments may provide an inaccurate measure of this parity and these scenarios often drive hyperbolic narratives.

GettingYourMoms

Jun 6, 2018
I don't understand why this prospect is held in such high regard. He's very talented but maybe we should have drafted Kulich instead.
he was total beast in Slovak´s men league. You can´t blame scouting team, he was in my top 15 before draft

Reactions: Sagikev

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022
Hate to be that guy but Mesar had 16 points in one of the lowest ranking leagues in Europe.

Ok ill give you that, Slovakia is a garbage league... cool. So where did he learn all his skills? Why is he able to dominate 4 guys at once with the puck ? He literally cake walks the offensive zone.

still i did not expected him to struggle in OHL...

4va 1

GettingYourMoms

Jun 6, 2018
Ok ill give you that, Slovakia is a garbage league... cool. So where did he learn all his skills? Why is he able to dominate 4 guys at once with the puck ? He literally cake walks the offensive zone.

4va 1

His consistency is his biggest issue, also he is horrible defensively, He allways reminded me of Vrana, speedy offensive forward who is really bad at defense.

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022
His consistency is his biggest issue, also he is horrible defensively, He allways reminded me of Vrana, speedy offensive forward who is really bad at defense.

He struggled around 10 games where he said it himself he felt tired. He's been very good for many games now since then.

Defense? He's creating 5-8 chances per game, he's the best puck carrier of the Rangers (by far).

Why are we talking about defense, He's rarely in the D zone any way?

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Messar is small even by small standards.Tired of hearing about our numerous undersized smurfs who will Never sniff the NHL as part of a Cup contender

WTF does that even mean lol?

The kid has tree trunk legs and will very likely end up being very strong for his size.

I am really wanting to be nice people but some of the takes on this board......

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003

Enough.

His defence is no worse than most junior players. This board is just one collective cringe with the hot takes......Mesar hits a hot streak and it will be back to the 200 point hype lol

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
WTF does that even mean lol?

The kid has tree trunk legs and will very likely end up being very strong for his size.

I am really wanting to be nice people but some of the takes on this board......
How is his tree trunk legs supposed to convince us of his abilities when he's not even over ppg in the OHL?

Reactions: GobigorGohome

Yasuo

Sep 7, 2016
People finding excuse for a first rounder small offensive winger being barely ppg in the ohl.... Can't imagine how he would have struggled in the ahl thats why they send him down to the o

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
People finding excuse for a first rounder small offensive winger being barely ppg in the ohl.... Can't imagine how he would have struggled in the ahl thats why they send him down to the o

People looking at stats and acting like they know what they are talking about.......

Reactions: Paddy17

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
People looking at stats and acting like they know what they are talking about.......
Truth: so far, Mesar does not look like a first round pick.

But there is still time to ramp it up, of course.

He will likely need another OHL season and 1-2 years in the AHL and then we will know if he is actually better than Ylonen or other prospects. At least he is a way better skater than Mysak.

Hoochi Papa

Oct 17, 2020

4va 1

Seems to me that every now and then he has great moments against weak competition.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad