Prospect Info: Filip Mesar

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Development is about a prospect building a foundation to match and excel their skill set. Unfortunately that didn't happen last year in kitchener. That could have been because of coaching or the players mental state but likely both.
This year the blocks are starting to be formed slowly but surely. Moving in the right direction and that is extremely positive.
Mesar is a late first round pick and we know he's skilled but has holes in his game. To expect him to be outstanding at all aspects of the game at this stage of development is asking to much for the kid. He was a project from the start and should be recognized as such.
Has Mesar improved so far this year? Absolutely! Does he still need to work on his game? Absolutely! No one knows what he will become, so just sit back and enjoy watching him grow as a player. Development happens in many different ways. I'm hoping for the best!

It's very clear whatever went on with the team last year, he has his share of the blame for his lack of effort at times. As I said, I saw the same thing from Caufield and when he wanted to get signed MB did one of the few correct moves with development and told him to go back to the NCAA and work on his game, he did and things worked out.

Mesar looks soft and lazy at times this year, that is extremely troubling since it's more of the same from last year, yes he's had some games where he's worked harder then others and we'll see what happens but so far it's not a good sign but in the end he has the skill so he just needs to put the work in or he will find out what happens if he doesn't.

I do find it amusing that the goal posts have shifted. Points don't matter if there's holes in his game!

Okay but his game was great without production at the end of last year and it was all about production.

Lets at least celebrate the production because if he was playing well and not getting points there's 0 chance the narrative wouldn't be that looking good doesn't matter if you're not producing.

I don't care about points or stats, never been a big stats guy and I haven't even bothered to try and learn any advanced stats (it was years before i would do so in MLB so I guess I will start learning it soon)

I watched Corey Locke destroy the OHL at 18, Duncan Milroy dropping 92 pts in the dub at 17, etc.. Points only tell so much of the story.

Last year he put up points, this year he's putting up more points though it's a small sample size. He's also gone from a team that didn't look like they would be in the playoffs to the top team in the OHL this year so we'll see how that goes.

The speed/skating/vision/playmaking is legit, just about everything else though is very concerning.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Yeah that last game he looked like he made less mistakes and was more implicated in forechecking. Weirdly enough he looked less offensively dynamic though.

Still made some good plays though. I mean the guy’s producing and creating quite a bit while not even playing his best, that’s actually a bit of a good thing. It’s weird how some take that wholly negatively but I guess I shouldn’t be surprised lol.

There’s still a lot of good there. Nice to see his defensive game from last years playoffs resurface in this last game at least.

More than fair to want to see more from him, but people are acting like he’s a bum on here lol. Just keep producing and keep improving. It’s a good start so far.

Reactions: Guillermo

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
It's very clear whatever went on with the team last year, he has his share of the blame for his lack of effort at times. As I said, I saw the same thing from Caufield and when he wanted to get signed MB did one of the few correct moves with development and told him to go back to the NCAA and work on his game, he did and things worked out.

Mesar looks soft and lazy at times this year, that is extremely troubling since it's more of the same from last year, yes he's had some games where he's worked harder then others and we'll see what happens but so far it's not a good sign but in the end he has the skill so he just needs to put the work in or he will find out what happens if he doesn't.

I don't care about points or stats, never been a big stats guy and I haven't even bothered to try and learn any advanced stats (it was years before i would do so in MLB so I guess I will start learning it soon)

I watched Corey Locke destroy the OHL at 18, Duncan Milroy dropping 92 pts in the dub at 17, etc.. Points only tell so much of the story.

Last year he put up points, this year he's putting up more points though it's a small sample size. He's also gone from a team that didn't look like they would be in the playoffs to the top team in the OHL this year so we'll see how that goes.

The speed/skating/vision/playmaking is legit, just about everything else though is very concerning.
Can't teach drive. Look at Gally, hard work rewarded. Some players are driven from a young age and others not so much. That is why I am not sold on Mesar, he doesn't seem to make the most of what he is assigned to. Some learn the drive part a little later in life, hopefully he is one.

Reactions: montreal

Paddy17

Apr 10, 2021
Yeah that last game he looked like he made less mistakes and was more implicated in forechecking. Weirdly enough he looked less offensively dynamic though.

Still made some good plays though. I mean the guy’s producing and creating quite a bit while not even playing his best, that’s actually a bit of a good thing. It’s weird how some take that wholly negatively but I guess I shouldn’t be surprised lol.

There’s still a lot of good there. Nice to see his defensive game from last years playoffs resurface in this last game at least.

More than fair to want to see more from him, but people are acting like he’s a bum on here lol. Just keep producing and keep improving. It’s a good start so far.
In this day and age, once people make their minds up about something, they will fight 'til death to defend that original opinion. I don't know where people learn that behavior and how it's reinforced, but that's a sign of our time. People entrench themselves in their opinions and will not budge no matter what.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Can't teach drive. Look at Gally, hard work rewarded. Some players are driven from a young age and others not so much. That is why I am not sold on Mesar, he doesn't seem to make the most of what he is assigned to. Some learn the drive part a little later in life, hopefully he is one.
Todd Bertuzzi learned drive later on in life, but that happens for larger players that dominated easily in lower levels. Mesar, a smaller player, should not be lacking drive.

In this day and age, once people make their minds up about something, they will fight 'til death to defend that original opinion. I don't know where people learn that behavior and how it's reinforced, but that's a sign of our time. People entrench themselves in their opinions and will not budge no matter what.
Insecurity and lackofself-esteem breeds such things. Nuance is the first victim.

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
Todd Bertuzzi learned drive later on in life, but that happens for larger players that dominated easily in lower levels. Mesar, a smaller player, should not be lacking drive.

Insecurity and lackofself-esteem breeds such things. Nuance is the first victim.
Sidney Crosby is another that comes to mind when I think about drive to be your best. Right from the start he was driven.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Guindon and Mesar on the faceoff. Guindon won it. Most of the faceoffs Ihave seen Mesar take he has won the draw.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
News of his demise was greatly exaggerated.
This is honestly the type of year he should have had last year. This is more common for a 19 year old to do (even non-first rounders). Rehkopf is scoring at an even higher pace over a larger sample size as a younger player drafted a year later in the middle of the second for example. He also joined a team that already had the three leading scorers of the entire OHL. A guy in his D+2 doing this in the OHL is a relatively common occurrence. He's certainly proving he's still a prospect as anything less would have been a total bust, but remember Pinelli put up 90 last year and is now struggling heavily in the AHL.

Still good to see progress though. Would be nice if some of our other prospects would turn their seasons around because we've got a lot of craptacular seasons going on.

Reactions: CristianoRonaldo

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022
This is honestly the type of year he should have had last year. This is more common for a 19 year old to do (even non-first rounders). Rehkopf is scoring at an even higher pace over a larger sample size as a younger player drafted a year later in the middle of the second for example. He also joined a team that already had the three leading scorers of the entire OHL. A guy in his D+2 doing this in the OHL is a relatively common occurrence. He's certainly proving he's still a prospect as anything less would have been a total bust, but remember Pinelli put up 90 last year and is now struggling heavily in the AHL.

Still good to see progress though. Would be nice if some of our other prospects would turn their seasons around because we've got a lot of craptacular seasons going on.

Pinelli is not a good hockey player, he used and abused his speed and relatively big size for the OHL to score Junior level goals.

You're comparing a Mcdonald's cheeseburger to a gold filet mignon from Dubai.

ya know

Heffyhoof

So happy to be glad to be pleased to meet you.
Jan 17, 2016
Pinelli is not a good hockey player, he used and abused his speed and relatively big size for the OHL to score Junior level goals.

You're comparing a Mcdonald's cheeseburger to a gold filet mignon from Dubai.

ya know
One is low quality but affordable, the other is slightly better than average quality but stupidly expensive. I don't know which is Mesar.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006

You don’t think it’s possible for a European kid to struggle the first time he’s away from home, in a totally different country, totally different playstyle, totally different rink size and a team in which he knows no one?

I mean Christ he was at a PPG last year despite all of that. 3rd on his team in points per game. The two he was behind? 19 year olds in their 3rd season. You’re making it seem like he put up 10 points.

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
Nice to see Mesar produce well so far in OHL even at 19, it's a very good thing.

Maybe we need all be patient with Slaf and Mesar. They can be fun to watch together in NH, they have both high offensive potential, some people are not patient, but I think they can show why Habs scouts are high on them in 2022 (Slaf it's normal to being high, he always be projected to be a top 5 pick and go 2nd to NJ, he is been my favorite prospect in that draft and I wanted him so much, I like him and I believe in him). We already picked Owen Beck at 33, Lane Hutson at 62, Adam Engstrom at 92. That draft can be a game changer for Habs futur.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
You don’t think it’s possible for a European kid to struggle the first time he’s away from home, in a totally different country, totally different playstyle, totally different rink size and a team in which he knows no one?

I mean Christ he was at a PPG last year despite all of that. 3rd on his team in points per game. The two he was behind? 19 year olds in their 3rd season. You’re making it seem like he put up 10 points.
And a completely incompetent coaching staff.

Reactions: le_sean

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
What Mesar is doing is as much a common occurence as Roy did last year. Meanwhile the latter is seen as a potential top 6 option in the future.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad