Prospect Info: Filip Mesar

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
I don't think he has enough talent do without a sense of urgency and effort level. When people talk about translatable skills....consistency in effort level is definately one of them. When you don't, you become mostly a liability.

So it's fun to see him racking points. But it shouldn't change the concerns we have based on watching the entirety of the games and not just the statssheet.

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022
I don't think he has enough talent do without a sense of urgency and effort level. When people talk about translatable skills....consistency in effort level is definately one of them. When you don't, you become mostly a liability.

So it's fun to see him racking points. But it shouldn't change the concerns we have based on watching the entirety of the games and not just the statssheet.

He's getting better in that departement but i find you unfair to be moving the goal posts now that he's racking up the points and he's doing the exact thing management sent him to do and that is to dominate the OHL.

Im not sure to understand this attitude.

His sense of emergency will change as he gets more confortable and confident

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022

I don't see any lack of effort (at least in the offensive zone). He is everywhere.

Reactions: Pomee

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Great to see that he's embraced the return to juniors and is playing to his potential.

Hopefully he has a healthy year and keeps focused on growing his game... Would love to see him force his way to the top of our prospect (at least for fwds) pool by next summer. He's got the talent to do so.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
He's getting better in that departement but i find you unfair to be moving the goal posts now that he's racking up the points and he's doing the exact thing management sent him to do and that is to dominate the OHL.

Im not sure to understand this attitude.

His sense of emergency will change as he gets more confortable and confident
Moving goalposts? The guy played against men. 2 years ago. And now he's racking up points in junior and we should think he's back at being a 1st round type of prospect? It,s about watching the games. I'd take LESS points and an upgrade in effort, pace and becoming more dynamic.

Yes, it's better than he racks the points that he didn't. I have no idea who thought that going back to junior level type of hockey could be too much for him. Remember, people had in mind that last year, Mesar was average. And yet, STATSWISE, he was 1 point from being PPG.

I need him to take over games. The way his teamate Rehkopf does. Understanding that they are not the same type of player. But in junior, he has the talent, if he puts the effort, to do what Kucherov did With Rouyn-Noranda. As a 19 year old. I want to see him be the catalayst of his line. And not just on the PP.

Last edited:

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022
Moving goalposts? The guy played against men. 2 years ago. And now he's racking up points in junior and we should think he's back at being a 1st round type of prospect? It,s about watching the games. I'd take LESS points and an upgrade in effort, pace and becoming more dynamic.
He is a 1st round type of a player and its apparent when he's touching the puck

Yes, it's better than he racks the points that he didn't. I have no idea who thought that going back to junior level type of hockey could be too much for him. Remember, people had in mind that last year, Mesar was average. And yet, STATSWISE, he was 1 point from being PPG.
Mesar last year was still creating alot of goal scoring chances per game, this did not change. What changed though is that he was playing under a bad coach and instead of developing his game he eneded up regressing as a hockey player.

I need him to take over games. The way his teamate Rehkopf does.

Respectfully, You're not watching the games, he's scoring goals but to say he's taking over the games is false

Understanding that they are not the same type of player. But in junior, he has the talent, if he puts the effort, to do what Kucherov did With Rouyn-Noranda. As a 19 year old. I want to see him be the catalayst of his line. And not just on the PP.
He's got 7 assists, he's +6 in 5 games..... Buddy.... come on...

Also they keep on changing his linemates and he's in fact the playmaker when ever he gets the puck he creates chances for his teammates. Its just a matter of time before he's permanently in the first line, they're still trying to build chemistry and so far its going really really wel..

This was one of the worst games in terms of floating but that was 3 games ago, he's much better now

DAChampion

May 28, 2011

I need him to take over games. The way his teamate Rehkopf does. Understanding that they are not the same type of player. But in junior, he has the talent, if he puts the effort, to do what Kucherov did With Rouyn-Noranda. As a 19 year old. I want to see him be the catalayst of his line. And not just on the PP.

Mesar's not back to anything after 4 games, but if he keeps up a 2.0 PPG pace in the CHL in his D+2 then he's in a good company.

Reactions: CristianoRonaldo

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
Respectfully, You're not watching the games, he's scoring goals but to say he's taking over the games is false
Or it's just your opinion as I am watching the games. INCLUDING the ones when Mesar wasn't in prior to him being send down because I was watching other prospects play.

He's got 7 assists, he's +6 in 5 games..... Buddy.... come on...
'Cause we all know that +/- is a great way to analyse a player....buddy. You whine at me not watching the games yet you give me stuff only a great statssheeter can give me.

Mesar for me does not do it at all. I respect the talent. I see nothing else. And there's PLENTY of talented player that never made it. He has to show more than that as far as how he's playing. He has to improve. Let's hope he does.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Or it's just your opinion as I am watching the games. INCLUDING the ones when Mesar wasn't in prior to him being send down because I was watching other prospects play.

'Cause we all know that +/- is a great way to analyse a player....buddy. You whine at me not watching the games yet you give me stuff only a great statssheeter can give me.

Mesar for me does not do it at all. I respect the talent. I see nothing else. And there's PLENTY of talented player that never made it. He has to show more than that as far as how he's playing. He has to improve. Let's hope he does.
I watch the games. You are taking about Rehkopf. Most of his goals since Mesar got there is from Mesar setting him up with an empty net.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
I watch the games. You are taking about Rehkopf. Most of his goals since Mesar got there is from Mesar setting him up with an empty net.
You mean like Rehkopf did for Sop the other game? 2 goals you could say Mesar did that for Carson. The same game.

Last edited:

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022

Ok i see what your problem with Mesar: you don't appreciate the type of player he is.

Its one thing to say Mesar needs to improve on some areas of his game and its another to say Rehkopf is taking over games, because that is not true.

Mesar is a feeder, he enters the O-Zone like he's walking in a park, he creates spaces for his teammates, he never ever looks down, his head is always up (one of the reasons why he's such a good playmaker and has a great vision). He needs a partner that can convert his passes to shine.

Just look at Francesco Pinelli, the guy was the go to guy on the offense last year for the Rangers. He was "taking over" games just the way you like it. Look at what he's doing now in the AHL.. 1 G, 1A in 9 games....

The crazy part in all of this is that Mesar can do alot better then this. He's not at 100% yet, once he really figures it out and starts really clicking with his teammates he's going to be even more productive.

Reactions: Pomee and Svart

Garnet76

Dec 3, 2017
Chatham Ontario
Development is about a prospect building a foundation to match and excel their skill set. Unfortunately that didn't happen last year in kitchener. That could have been because of coaching or the players mental state but likely both.
This year the blocks are starting to be formed slowly but surely. Moving in the right direction and that is extremely positive.
Mesar is a late first round pick and we know he's skilled but has holes in his game. To expect him to be outstanding at all aspects of the game at this stage of development is asking to much for the kid. He was a project from the start and should be recognized as such.
Has Mesar improved so far this year? Absolutely! Does he still need to work on his game? Absolutely! No one knows what he will become, so just sit back and enjoy watching him grow as a player. Development happens in many different ways. I'm hoping for the best!

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Development is about a prospect building a foundation to match and excel their skill set. Unfortunately that didn't happen last year in kitchener. That could have been because of coaching or the players mental state but likely both.
This year the blocks are starting to be formed slowly but surely. Moving in the right direction and that is extremely positive.
Mesar is a late first round pick and we know he's skilled but has holes in his game. To expect him to be outstanding at all aspects of the game at this stage of development is asking to much for the kid. He was a project from the start and should be recognized as such.
Has Mesar improved so far this year? Absolutely! Does he still need to work on his game? Absolutely! No one knows what he will become, so just sit back and enjoy watching him grow as a player. Development happens in many different ways. I'm hoping for the best!
Pffff….. You and your logic & pragmatism

Deebs

Without you, everything falls apart
Feb 5, 2014
I'm very happy the organization made the correct decision to send Mess to his proper league. There is no rush for the kid so put him where he belongs. He can play there this year, play in Laval next year and then see how it's going. I wish they'd follow the same philosophy with Slaf as well. There's no rush.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
I'm very happy the organization made the correct decision to send Mess to his proper league. There is no rush for the kid so put him where he belongs. He can play there this year, play in Laval next year and then see how it's going. I wish they'd follow the same philosophy with Slaf as well. There's no rush.
Maybe it’s because they view Slaf’s development path as needing to be completely different in nature vs Mesar or Roy etc

Fans may not agree but there is a method to HuGos madness (re: Slaf) & it’s not some optics / knee jerk reaction as witnessed with how they’re methodically handling prospects in general within the system - even with Nicholas spending time on a regular basis with Luke Tuch at BU

Reactions: Pomee and Andrei79

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I do find it amusing that the goal posts have shifted. Points don't matter if there's holes in his game!

Okay but his game was great without production at the end of last year and it was all about production.

Lets at least celebrate the production because if he was playing well and not getting points there's 0 chance the narrative wouldn't be that looking good doesn't matter if you're not producing.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013

I do wonder how their discussions are in regards to Slaf, because outside of him, they've put the players in the right leagues. They don't seem, as of now, to think rushing players is a good idea.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad