Prospect Info: Filip Mesar

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Natey

GOATS
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
On a serious note, he just needs to figure it out, i think he's just confused
This isn't it.

He played the first game to show what he could do last year and then he just kind of went through the motions.

His offensive skill isn't worth questioning. His mental game is the part I'm worried about.

To me it was pretty clear he didn't want to play in the OHL. And he showed that after Game 1.

It's part of the reason I also wanted him in the AHL or back in Europe, I didn't really care which. Those coaches are going to be a lot more harsh with Mesar if he's not holding his weight. He'd be forced to become a better all around player.

In the OHL, he could go through the motions and still be one of the best players on his team, so he was never going to get benched.

To me, his attitude is what going to keep him in or out of the NHL.

Last edited:

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Either way, he's a late 1st round pick in a very weak draft. Hope for the best, but prepare for the worst. I won't lose sleep if he doesn't pan out.
If Hutson and Slaf pan out, that's a really good draft. If Engstrom and/or Beck also pan out then it's an incredible draft.

Mesar, Guidon, and Davidson could be cherries on top. But to expect all of these draft picks to pan out is to expect something that only happens once in a blue moon.

Last edited:

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022
This isn't it.

He played the first game to show what he could do last year and then he just kind of went through the motions.

Nah, i just think they were trying to boost Pinelli's points production by all means necessary and Mesar saw limited Ice time because of that.

His offensive skill isn't worth questioning. His mental game is the part I'm worried about.

To me it was pretty clear he didn't want to play in the OHL. And he showed that after Game 1.

It's part of the reason I also wanted him in the AHL or back in Europe, I didn't really care which. Those coaches are going to be a lot more harsh with Mesar if he's not holding his weight. He'd be forced to become a better all around player.

In the OHL, he could go through the motions and still be one of the best players on his team, so he was never going to get benched.

I hope you're right but I think he definitely needs to learn alot about positioning and not floating, he needs to learn to be more dynamic and stop being a spectator all the time without the puck, he needs to learn to position himself and use his presence to spread the defense.

Its evident he's used to a certain type of hockey style and it's evident he wants to have the puck on his stick

Offensively speaking he's elite/NHL ready, he's got his head up all the time and sees everything, vision is top notch , grade A material. He's a smooth operator..... There's no question that he'll be a very productive player in the NHL.

To me, his attitude is what going to keep him in or out of the NHL.

On a different organisation his attitude wouldn't be a problem

There's a game today, lets see if he crushes it

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022

I find that if you have questions about Mesar's game, I would watch this vid as it shows the good and the bad. He could easily of had 4 or 5 pts in this game but he also had some poor defensive plays.

Hes developing bad habits

If he could score those 4-5 points a game no one would say anything but he's kind of looking like he's not trying at his fullest out there.. not sure if he's got an injury but it doesn't look good.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003

I find that if you have questions about Mesar's game, I would watch this vid as it shows the good and the bad. He could easily of had 4 or 5 pts in this game but he also had some poor defensive plays.

Bad defensive coverage and bad work ethic. I really wonder out of the 4 traits Gorton said they are looking at in a prospect...how they evaluated him on all 4.....I don't see it.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
Yep there was. His name was Kulich. They somehow thought Slaf was worth of 1st overall mostly based on tournaments yet didn't think Kulich was worthy of a late 1st round pick based also on tournaments...

Again, point is this....if we were too small this year, we were too small last year. If so, we could have gone a little bigger than Mesar. Easily. Nobody will convince me that Mesar was much ahead than Kulich, Lambert, Bystedt, or whatever.
Kulich was polarizing. From scouting reports I had the impression he was another “find some space while someone else drives play” guy and the habs don’t need more of those. Lambert dropped a lot, and he’s another polarizing guy. I don’t know about Bystedt.

The habs have tried for size in top picks for years and it makes some sense because size is highly valued. The problem is that they have made a lot of terrible choices. Bergevin made a lot of picks that I saw as “take the best big C available” when there wasn’t one. You take what the draft gives you, or you trade the pick. If you really think the best option is the small forward you take him.

At least with Hughes it looks like he has a plan and his thinking isn’t obvious or TSN driven. I hope he and Gorton make some further changes to scouting, though Bobrov counters that a bit.

They thought Mesar would grow, and he regressed so far. We’ll see if any of those guys work out in a few years.

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022
Kulich was polarizing. From scouting reports I had the impression he was another “find some space while someone else drives play” guy and the habs don’t need more of those. Lambert dropped a lot, and he’s another polarizing guy. I don’t know about Bystedt.

The habs have tried for size in top picks for years and it makes some sense because size is highly valued. The problem is that they have made a lot of terrible choices. Bergevin made a lot of picks that I saw as “take the best big C available” when there wasn’t one. You take what the draft gives you, or you trade the pick. If you really think the best option is the small forward you take him.

At least with Hughes it looks like he has a plan and his thinking isn’t obvious or TSN driven. I hope he and Gorton make some further changes to scouting, though Bobrov counters that a bit.

They thought Mesar would grow, and he regressed so far. We’ll see if any of those guys work out in a few years.

Yeah Mesar looks really really terrible out there, skill wise he's good but damn there's like almost no compete into his game.

He looks like someone who's dog got shot.

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
Not sure if sarcastic, but;

6th round, 19 years old, already playing NCAA with a .913 SP ... what's to not like?
Many Goalie in NCAA, H-east, USHL, have good stats. You are gonna hit a jeremy swayman sometimes. however, there is so many bust. Even if they had pretty good numbers during junior career..

Reactions: Estimated_Prophet

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad