Fantasy GM Thread | Two Minutes to Midnight for Horvat?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
I don't know why people focus in on Hughes when every other dman on the team is a bottom pairing player this year. Like if we want to actually compete (lol) then the defense needs to look like this asap:

Hughes-xx
xx-xx
xx-one of the current dmen

Get the guy a Toews or Samuelsson or prime Cernak calibre of partner like the other Norris contenders have and watch the narrative on him change.
Agreed, but we also had one, his name was Chris Tanev. The team fell to shambles once he was forgotten about, now the Canucks need another and unfortunately they are damn near impossible to get.

Feb 19, 2018
This home stand will put a ton of pressure on the owners to listen to what Canuck nation wants and I’m betting we will get the rebuild we are asking for. I bet they dangle a shiny carrot and bring back the Skate Jersey full time showing they are “here for the fans” (cash grab, marketing ploy)

Big changes are coming and calling out the right people will go a long ways into getting what we finally deserve. Have you noticed we have been wearing our retro reverse jerseys more than the Orca this year?

Don’t let your foot off the gas Canuck Nation, it’s time we speak up and get what we want. Look what happened to Benning once we started yelling from the stands, results.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Really don't think we should trade Hughes. Priority should be finding him a stud partner.

Extremely hard to do when you trade draft picks and don't draft Dmen very well either.

I mean the second best dman we have drafted after Hughes we dumped for 17 games of Adam Clendening.

the 3rd best guy was maybe Ben Hutton.

That speaks to where we are at right now.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
Extremely hard to do when you trade draft picks and don't draft Dmen very well either.

I mean the second best dman we have drafted after Hughes we dumped for 17 games of Adam Clendening.

the 3rd best guy was maybe Ben Hutton.

That speaks to where we are at right now.
No question. I’d just be trying to leverage the pieces we have right now to get that guy. Horvat could possibly do it. The other strategy would be to try to grab some higher picks, but I don’t think anyone is going to be moving lottery picks this year.

Feb 19, 2018
If they are retooling instead of rebuilding I’d look at Brayden Schenn from St Louis as a Horvat replacement for Boeser and Pearson. I’d then try and trade Bo for Picks and Prospects and try to parlay that into a Chychrun deal. You get that stud Dman and someone who has leadership and won who can eventually transition into a 3rd line Center and change the culture of the team. I’m sure he’d love to play with his brother and would transition the team leadership group.

Maybe you can get a little retention as well on St Louis side due to 5 years being left on his deal. Chychrun would give us another legit top 2 Dman on a good contract and balance out the roster better. We would basically save the Horvat money in the deal as well in order to go after a Severson or Mayfield as a UFA.

The team would be a lot more balanced and by the time Schenn started to decline even further the Cap will have gone up and it wouldn’t look as bad, you could also use the Horvat money to sign Kuzmenko if you weren’t sold on the RHD UFA’s this year.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Respectfully disagree.

Hughes would be NJD’s top valued defenceman (arguably more than Hamilton), and would easily be one of their best players. He’s signed to a good contract and has more upside for many productive years to come.He’d fit their system of fast past, puck possession game like a glove.

Aside from roster/on-ice reasons specifically from a business standpoint would direct a good amount of dollars to the owner’s pockets for the next decade given the marketability of two (and potentially three) superstar sibling players to an otherwise sleepy hockey franchise (3rd most popular in the region). It’s not a non factor to gloss over.

I know it’s HFBoards where everyone has shiny new toy syndrome but a deal where Nemec+ is the principal piece (with some cap coming back) as a return for Hughes isn’t outlandish. He’s a great prospect but there’s no knowing when or if he’ll ever become the player Hughes is.
There's not going to be a Quinn Hughes to NJ trade. The only reason it's talked about is because his brothers are there. On-ice and in terms of cap allocation, it doesn't make sense for them.

They don't need to invest in more defensemen. Their best prospects (Luke, Nemec, Muk) are on the blueline. They already have Sigenthaler/Hamilton/Marino signed long-term. I expect they'll keep Graves around. And with Luke coming in, they have another projected offensive defenseman (not to mention Nemec).

Every Devils fan will tell you they are much more concerned with adding another impact forward.

Reactions: Qwijibo

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I don't know why people focus in on Hughes when every other dman on the team is a bottom pairing player this year. Like if we want to actually compete (lol) then the defense needs to look like this asap:

Hughes-xx
xx-xx
xx-one of the current dmen

Get the guy a Toews or Samuelsson or prime Cernak calibre of partner like the other Norris contenders have and watch the narrative on him change.

What is the "narrative" on Hughes? I feel the "narrative" is that he is a #1 defenseman in the league.

And that's kind of why he's brought up in discussions, at least for me. I think if he is considered that #1 guy on a great contract, he should have immense value. And while it would suck losing him, if you could parlay him into say two #2 defensemen of a similar age with better two-way profiles then I think it might position the team a bit better in the future.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Only way I trade Hughes is if it’s for a Bedard package.

Hughes + 1st 23 + Lakkerimaki

Bedard.
Gets rejected

What is the "narrative" on Hughes? I feel the "narrative" is that he is a #1 defenseman in the league.

And that's kind of why he's brought up in discussions, at least for me. I think if he is considered that #1 guy on a great contract, he should have immense value. And while it would suck losing him, if you could parlay him into say two #2 defensemen of a similar age with better two-way profiles then I think it might position the team a bit better in the future.
This sounds good on paper until you realize that no such trade exists

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Miller to Nsh for RyJo + pick

Nsh gets player who can play C or W and signed LT.

RyJo can play C behind EP for the next couple yrs.

Cap hits are the same.

Pick compensates for the extra yrs on Millers deal.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
This sounds good on paper until you realize that no such trade exists

Would take multiple deals, but basically you would need to get a #2 D ++ for Hughes and then parlay the ++ in another deal. I'm actually really not sure on the value on this kind of deal, but my basic premise would be trading Hughes for two good, young top4 rocks and build the defense out from there.

Reactions: geebaan

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Do folks remember ridiculing Edmonton ruining all those good young players by putting too much pressure on them?
How fans here kept laughing at the ineptitude of Toronto?
How Calgary held on to their stars too long before trading them trying to resurrect a playoff run?

Do I dare say Vancouver has covered ALL THOSE?

Players aren't stupid. Petey will want out as things stand. Ditto Hughes, but then he already said he couldn't wait to lay with his brothers when Luke was drafted. The home interview quickly edited out.

Pettersson could probably handle the leadership role, he seems to have the swagger needed but Hughes comes across like he is shy.

Two more games and I don't think either team is feeling charitable. Both are in the dogfight for playoff positioning.

Vancouver also weakened itself demoting Hoglander

Every time I think of which team would like Horvat I get lost because, even though I might have a "homer" estimation of his value, it seems ALL the teams would like him.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Horvat proposals:

Only one I don’t hate is Carolina.

I really need to finish my ridiculously long trade proposal article series. Only have one team left and then editing. Really need to review since I started before the season began and some of the proposals I had are out-of-whack with Horvat’s production.

Reactions: theguardianII

Kevinsane

Kraken up.
Apr 11, 2022
Dawson Creek, BC
Horvat proposals:

Only one I don’t hate is Carolina.
I don’t mind the Detroit one. Cossa is going to be a very good young goalie on an ELC, and the 2023 draft is deep.
The reality is that Horvat will end up traded somewhere we weren’t expecting, or signed for 10mil times 8 because Aquilini sleeps in his jersey.

Reactions: theguardianII

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
I don’t mind the Detroit one. Cossa is going to be a very good young goalie on an ELC, and the 2023 draft is deep.
The reality is that Horvat will end up traded somewhere we weren’t expecting, or signed for 10mil times 8 because Aquilini sleeps in his jersey.
Personally have zero interest in Cossa.

Great prospect? Yes. But he won’t play any games on his ELC and goalies take years to develop.

Detroit have plenty of other players/prospects I’d rather have.

Kevinsane

Kraken up.
Apr 11, 2022
Dawson Creek, BC
Personally have zero interest in Cossa.

Great prospect? Yes. But he won’t play any games on his ELC and goalies take years to develop.

Detroit have plenty of other players/prospects I’d rather have.
My concern is that if Demko is irreparably hurt, and can’t regain his form, the Canucks have nobody in the pipeline to replace him.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria

Cossa putting up sub .900 in 17 ECHL games is a big hit to his development path right now.

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
Cossa wont be an NHL Starter by the time his ELC is up. He will most likely be in his first season of seeing NHL games.

If we trade Demko It has to be for at least 2 assets high end (1st or 2nd round picks, top 3 prospects )because of one those assets will be used to draft a goalie

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
My concern is that if Demko is irreparably hurt, and can’t regain his form, the Canucks have nobody in the pipeline to replace him.
Seeing teams like COL/TOR/NJ/CAR rolling along with goalies that no one would've been confident in as true #1 starters before this season started tells me that the priority should be to build a strong team in front of the goalie unless the team believes that Cossa has a chance to be a top 5 goalie someday which I don't believe is the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad