Fantasy GM Thread | Two Minutes to Midnight for Horvat?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
Yes it’s just delusional fanboys spouting the same nonsense over and over. Just like Minny needs to have Brock because he is from there! Do Vancouver fans desperately want Luke Hughes because we have his brother? Didn’t think so

How is that the opposite of what they should be doing if other teams won’t take on Millers contract? Should we package him with a 1st so we can re sign Bo? Bo needs to be the fist to go
I explained that. He can’t be traded because of his contract. We should not have given that contract but should have traded him. I’d be far more comfortable having traded Miller and resigning Bo, only because I believe he brings more to the table. But at this stage, to make the best of the situation, Bo does have to be traded. I am looking at the situation as it has played out over the last year or so.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
Disagree. Hughes would add some glitz to a sort of blah org that's 3rd in popularity in the NY area.

hughes does not have nearly the popularity (league wide) you seem to think he does. he'd be the 2nd or 3rd best left defender they have depending on how you feel about siegenthaler

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Very obscure point in why we shouldn't trade Hughes. Who cares?

The emotional attachment to this team of perennial losers is bizarre.
By the end of his career he'll be the best defenseman we've ever had, by a lot.

But let's trade him so hopefully we can get another player as good as him in a few years.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Horvat is shaping up to be Kesler trade 2.0. Except this time we were never even any good. Who is the Bonino? Hopefully they do better than Sbisa.

History doesn’t repeat but it rhymes. Expect around a 3rd should be about right as a pick throw in. Are Willie Desjardins and Jason Megna available?

Last edited:
Reactions: BrentSopelsHair

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
Horvat is shaping up to be Kesler trade 2.0. Except this time we were never even any good. Who is the Bonino?

i think florida is the destination i'd bet on. they can offer reinhardt or bennett back to satisfy the '20 something center' requirement and someone like evan nause or 2nd/3rd round picks as the 'futures'

the problem with moving horvat for established players is that other than florida and the avalanche none of the contenders have a center they could/would move. the rangers have chytil but i don't know what they could include with him if they're still not willing to move schneider. maybe lafreniere or kaapo? beyond that maybe boston does a swap involving horvat and schenn for carlo and lysell but it doesn't sound like vancouver wants to go that way

Last edited:

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
By the end of his career he'll be the best defenseman we've ever had, by a lot.

But let's trade him so hopefully we can get another player as good as him in a few years.

So there are no realistic scenarios you would trade him?

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
I would do Hughes for Hischer and Nemec or Hughes for Nemec, Mercer and another piece

Thats about it though

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
I would do Hughes for Hischer and Nemec or Hughes for Nemec, Mercer and another piece

Thats about it though
That is beyond a dream for what he would bring if you expect something added to hischer

Mayyyybe nemec and mercer but that would be it i think no third piece

Reactions: DonnyNucker

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park
They can’t.

Friedman is like a freaking crossword clue generator when it comes to giving information - but the one thing he said that likely explains why nothing is happening is “the league is constipated”.

It’s a shitty time to be making a trade. (Because of COURSE it is the moment the Canucks start looking to move core pieces)
Honestly I think this excuse is a gigantic steaming load of watery crap.

What is hard:

Just as Benning found, it is really hard to dump shitty contracts on teams. Yep, difficult.

It's also hard to get rebuilding teams to trade prospects and picks. They won't. So yep...challenging.

It's also hard to trade blue chippers to contenders while not taking cap dumps or eating salary WHILE also asking for top tier young talent on ELCs that are already meaningfully contributing in the NHL. Yes, that is difficult. Like getting into UBC Med school with a criminal record and painkiller addiction difficult.

It's also hard to trade for draft picks on draft day. That is hard too.

What is not hard:

Trade blue chip veterans for prospects and picks near or well before the trade deadline and take back one year of a shitty contract.

Also not hard - trading a guy like Luke Schenn that literally all 16 playoff teams (for 100% f-ing certain), can fit under the cap. Not even a tiny bit hard. But you can (if you choose) make it way f-ing harder when you ask said team for a roster player that is, well, really good. That makes it really f-ing granite hard. But if it's picks. Easy. Dead easy.

These easy moves would require not trying to compete every, single goddamn year when it is clear to 99.9999% of the intelligent life in the (progressive) known universe, that you can't. It would mean that in any given year, you might honestly assess where the team is at and see CLEARLY that IF the team is not going to come even remotely close to contention, and is a longshot to make the playoffs - in those years you make moves to restock. You do so by trading dollar for dollar in crappy contracts for your productive vets taking fewer years back, and you plough everything into prospects and picks.

Then you can trade. Then it's easy.

F#@#!!!!

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017
I'd rather be the worst team on earth for the next decade than watch this mediocre ass team with the goal of squeaking into the playoffs. The goal should be to win president trophy because thats the quality of team you need to legit compete for the cup. There is no legit route for this current team to morph into a contender and it should be nuked accordingly.

Just nuke this team and build it properly from the defense out. Anybody in ownership or management that disagrees deserves to be thrown off a cliff to hungry sharks.

Why are we cursed with a horrible owner and short sighted management. Do any of these f***ing tools have a grip on what the fans want? We don't want this trash youve been selling for 10 years so stop serving it with a bow and hoping we won't smell the bullshit.

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
I don't know why people focus in on Hughes when every other dman on the team is a bottom pairing player this year. Like if we want to actually compete (lol) then the defense needs to look like this asap:

Hughes-xx
xx-xx
xx-one of the current dmen

Get the guy a Toews or Samuelsson or prime Cernak calibre of partner like the other Norris contenders have and watch the narrative on him change.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
Hoglander being sent down along with Podkolzin makes me wonder if the braintrust does see what we see but ownership gives them stupid mandates (I mean, we all know this regardless).

Bad teams who know they are bad send down their prized rookies to keep them away from the tire-fire. Podz and Hoggy being sent down is actually probably a decent sign. I mean, no team that is trying to win has Lane Pederson and Sheldon Dries playing long term over Hoglander and Podkolzin, right?

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
NJ will have no interest is acquiring Hughes for what it would take.

WTF would they do it other than the fact his brothers play there?

They also likely don't trade Nemec straight-up for Hughes given he's a RHD and on an ELC.

Put it to bed.

Respectfully disagree.

Hughes would be NJD’s top valued defenceman (arguably more than Hamilton), and would easily be one of their best players. He’s signed to a good contract and has more upside for many productive years to come.He’d fit their system of fast past, puck possession game like a glove.

Aside from roster/on-ice reasons specifically from a business standpoint would direct a good amount of dollars to the owner’s pockets for the next decade given the marketability of two (and potentially three) superstar sibling players to an otherwise sleepy hockey franchise (3rd most popular in the region). It’s not a non factor to gloss over.

I know it’s HFBoards where everyone has shiny new toy syndrome but a deal where Nemec+ is the principal piece (with some cap coming back) as a return for Hughes isn’t outlandish. He’s a great prospect but there’s no knowing when or if he’ll ever become the player Hughes is.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Im headed to the Canucks game in Winnipeg twice in the next 3 weeks.

Should I wear a paper bag on my head with my Vintage jersey? Any sign ideas?
At least it's not at home so you can hope they might not lose 5-1.

Reactions: CanuckCity
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad