Fantasy GM Thread | Two Minutes to Midnight for Horvat?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
What is the "narrative" on Hughes? I feel the "narrative" is that he is a #1 defenseman in the league.

And that's kind of why he's brought up in discussions, at least for me. I think if he is considered that #1 guy on a great contract, he should have immense value. And while it would suck losing him, if you could parlay him into say two #2 defensemen of a similar age with better two-way profiles then I think it might position the team a bit better in the future.
I think there's a big split in opinion between whether he's a #1 or whether he's just a Tyson Barrie on steroids where he puts up numbers but sucks so badly defensively that we'd be better off trading him, and the latter is not a #1 at all. If everyone agreed he's a #1 I don't think anyone would entertain trading him.

I think a huge factor in why he looks worse in comparison to a lot of other guys because he's had to carry a #6 or #7 as a partner against top competition since Tanev left.

For example I don't think his game got worse in his sophomore season, I think the gap between his rookie year and his sophomore year was entirely based on going from having a legitimate partner to having to learn how to play very differently in order to carry bottom pairing spare parts rather than his actual game deteriorating and it's a huge developmental loss that he had to waste so much development time learning this instead of improving his all around game.

It's like a lesser version of how Myers tanks every partner he gets paired with and always has. Every player has to sacrifice their game to accommodate his playstyle and every player immediately looks better when they get paired with literally anyone else.

Right now Hughes suffers a gap in perception because he has to carry partners that really don't belong in the role they're put in. Give him a Toews, Samuelsson, Tanev or prime Cernak and perception of his defense and two way play would change dramatically. Give Makar, Dahlin, Hedman etc a Schenn-tier partner for a few years and watch perception of them as players drop. He has his flaws as a player but I think they are exacerbated by what he's been given to work with and would be minimized with an equivalent partner to what the other Norris calibre dmen in the league get.

Relevant to your trade idea, I think that if we had an actual #2 for him then I don't think anyone would be willing to trade him for two #2's.

Delocatedfan

Jun 1, 2021
Those proposals seem ok

The Montreal one depends on how long Savard is signed for after this season (if he is expiring flipping him at the deadline could be a possibility)

The Boston deal also seems reasonable

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Those proposals seem ok

The Montreal one depends on how long Savard is signed for after this season (if he is expiring flipping him at the deadline could be a possibility)

The Boston deal also seems reasonable

Savaged has 2 more seasons at 3.5m. It’s a terrible trade.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Dreger and Lebrun have been pushing the Myers trade interest

Just did so on insider trading even though he wants to stay.
That stupid bonus is causing them huge troubles though.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Here’s today’s insider trading.

It’s all Dreger so take that with a grain of salt. JABO posted, Dreger says there’s trade interest in Myers from playoff teams. They believe they can rejuvenate him with more structure.

Also says the Canucks trade chatter will increase in January. That’s the indication Allvin has got from other teams.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Horvat proposals:

Only one I don’t hate is Carolina.

What an odd set of proposals.

The Carolina one would be very solid value. Good young NHL player and a top defensive prospect.

The other three proposals are total trash. Basically a B prospect (or two) and a late first. Awful value for an impact player.

Cossa is in the ECHL and his value is absolutely tanking.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Here’s today’s insider trading.

It’s all Dreger so take that with a grain of salt. JABO posted, Dreger says there’s trade interest in Myers from playoff teams. They believe they can rejuvenate him with more structure.

Also says the Canucks trade chatter will increase in January. That’s the indication Allvin has got from other teams.
I think Dreger is more connected with this regime than he was with either of the previous 2. He literally hosts a podcast show with the husband of one of our AGM's.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
What is the "narrative" on Hughes? I feel the "narrative" is that he is a #1 defenseman in the league.

And that's kind of why he's brought up in discussions, at least for me. I think if he is considered that #1 guy on a great contract, he should have immense value. And while it would suck losing him, if you could parlay him into say two #2 defensemen of a similar age with better two-way profiles then I think it might position the team a bit better in the future.
I'd buy that for a dollar :D
Two 6'4" minimum. At least be intimidating like Schenn only faster, maybe a powerful point shot?
Hughes is good on the top of the PP but not a threat for a point shot.

I think there's a big split in opinion between whether he's a #1 or whether he's just a Tyson Barrie on steroids where he puts up numbers but sucks so badly defensively that we'd be better off trading him, and the latter is not a #1 at all. If everyone agreed he's a #1 I don't think anyone would entertain trading him.

I think a huge factor in why he looks worse in comparison to a lot of other guys because he's had to carry a #6 or #7 as a partner against top competition since Tanev left.
Ahh, no.
You got the first paragraph correct.

The story has been about finding a defensive defenceman to play with him. Tanev was as defensive as any in the league, maybe the best. Hughes' lack defensive ability will not go away. Sure he gets points but is all over the place in his own zone. He is huge baggage for this team.

Do you think Schenn was calling out OEL or Myers?

Myers was not on the ice for a goal against last night as a matter of fact he has been on the ice for exactly one goal against the last 10 scored against the Canucks.
My concern is that if Demko is irreparably hurt, and can’t regain his form, the Canucks have nobody in the pipeline to replace him.
But there is the goalie whisperer. Besides Silvos is still here.

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016

The Carolina one would be very solid value. Good young NHL player and a top defensive prospect.

The other three proposals are total trash. Basically a B prospect (or two) and a late first. Awful value for an impact player.

Realistically that's what teams are going to offer and horvat's a rental. We really need to let teams talk extension with Horvat to maximize his value.

Also Carolina will not trade for Horvat. Carolina hasn't paid significant prices for a rental in a long time

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
I think Dreger is more connected with this regime than he was with either of the previous 2. He literally hosts a podcast show with the husband of one of our AGM's.
Ray's been very clear that Cammie doesn't tell him anything. Given the tight ship the Canucks have been, I tend to believe him.

Reactions: Vector

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Ray's been very clear that Cammie doesn't tell him anything. Given the tight ship the Canucks have been, I tend to believe him.
I don't, but I also think Dreger is just more connected with Rutherford from all his years out east in PIT/CAR.

I think the "this front office doesn't leak anything" narrative is a bit overblown. They were linked to both Mikheyev and Bear. I believe even Lazar was mentioned prior to his signing. They were in on Marino and Friedman has confirmed that. Horvat recent contract offer/rejection was leaked. Maybe some of the leaks are on purpose but who knows.

Either way, for the first time in years, I think Dreger does get some Canuck tidbits.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
I think the "this front office doesn't leak anything" narrative is a bit overblown. They were linked to both Mikheyev and Bear. I believe even Lazar was mentioned prior to his signing. They were in on Marino and Friedman has confirmed that. Horvat recent contract offer/rejection was leaked. Maybe some of the leaks are on purpose but who knows.

Either way, for the first time in years, I think Dreger does get some Canuck tidbits.

yeah this front office leaks just as bad as any other. all that's changed is who gets the leaks. anything dreger, shannon, macintyre or dhaliwal reports is probably a legitimate leak. drance, sat and the rest of the local media are mostly cut off from the new regime although i expect that to change over time

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
yeah this front office leaks just as bad as any other. all that's changed is who gets the leaks. anything dreger, shannon, macintyre or dhaliwal reports is probably a legitimate leak. drance, sat and the rest of the local media are mostly cut off from the new regime although i expect that to change over time

Leaking is one of the sign of disunity. They started off water tight on leaks. IMHO the leaks seem to be increasing.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
Leaking is one of the sign of disunity. They started off water tight on leaks. IMHO the leaks seem to be increasing.

this isn't true. shannon was reporting all kinds of stuff early on but people just weren't paying attention because they didn't expect him to be breaking news about the canucks. he broke almost all the rutherford hires as i recall

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
this isn't true. shannon was reporting all kinds of stuff early on but people just weren't paying attention because they didn't expect him to be breaking news about the canucks. he broke almost all the rutherford hires as i recall

Shannon’s been off on everything he’s reported. When he’s right it’s after someone else reports and he’s commenting on it.

He was so far off on the Boeser contract. The day before he signed he said they weren’t anywhere close on a contract.

Reactions: rypper and racerjoe

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
I doubt our cheap owner allows a Myers trade after his signing bonus is paided out. This is a guy who basically pick the entire coaching staff because he is too cheap to pay people not to work and then ends up having to pay them because he goes over everyones head.

King, and Cullen are not NHL level coaches and it shows in the teams Defensive and special teams play

Reactions: Kevinsane

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
I'd love to send Horvat to Detroit. That 1st has top 10 potential, they could afford to send a good d prospect like Wallinder, and they're probably going to be successful so it'd be nice to have a reason to tag along with the good feels on their success when Horvat gets to win there.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Extremely hard to do when you trade draft picks and don't draft Dmen very well either.

I mean the second best dman we have drafted after Hughes we dumped for 17 games of Adam Clendening.

the 3rd best guy was maybe Ben Hutton.

That speaks to where we are at right now.
I was told that Jimbo was a drafting guru

Kevinsane

Kraken up.
Apr 11, 2022
Dawson Creek, BC

Yikes. I stand corrected. He’s young, so I’m not too concerned yet, but Cossa is indeed struggling at the ECHL level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad