FA/Trade Thread 14-15 Season V.17 - Bored, Now. Make another Trade Happen, Nonis!

Status
Not open for further replies.

one77

Dec 22, 2013
Oh man this Franson/Santo trade isn't all that great to be honest. Pretty terrible if you ask me. A 1st that will likely end up 27-30, a prospect who might never make the NHL because he's tiny, and an old cap dump that will be hard to trade for a 6th rounder...

Would've much rather traded Franson for a 1st straight up, and Santo for a 2nd straight up.

Now Shanny and Co. need to get an AMAZING return for Kessel, Phaneuf, Bozak and Lupul or this rebuild is already a failure.

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
Oh man this Franson/Santo trade isn't all that great to be honest. Pretty terrible if you ask me. A 1st that will likely end up 27-30, a prospect who might never make the NHL because he's tiny, and an old cap dump that will be hard to trade for a 6th rounder...

Would've much rather traded Franson for a 1st straight up, and Santo for a 2nd straight up.

Now Shanny and Co. need to get an AMAZING return for Kessel, Phaneuf, Bozak and Lupul or this rebuild is already a failure.

Definitely. When you trade two guys that will never be seen as top anything and only get back a first and a prospect, time to fold the team

Shwaguy*

Man now I've had a taste and I need more BURN IT TO THE GROUND SHANNY

one77

Dec 22, 2013
Definitely. When you trade two guys that will never be seen as top anything and only get back a first and a prospect, time to fold the team
Lol I am not saying it's the end of the world, in fact it was a decent trade. But I personally don't think Leipsic will amount to anything in the NHL. He is too small, I see him being a good AHL player but nothing in the NHL.

So essentially, it's a very late 1st (at BEST its #26, but realistically it will be 28-30) + an old cap dump who can't even fetch you a 6th rounder + a prospect who might never make the NHL.

one77

Dec 22, 2013
Only good thing about this trade, is that it should help the tank. That's about it though, the return is not as good as it could have been.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
Lol I am not saying it's the end of the world, in fact it was a decent trade. But I personally don't think Leipsic will amount to anything in the NHL. He is too small, I see him being a good AHL player but nothing in the NHL.

So essentially, it's a very late 1st (at BEST its #26, but realistically it will be 28-30) + an old cap dump who can't even fetch you a 6th rounder + a prospect who might never make the NHL.

Look, I kind of a agree with you and kind of don't too. Leipsic is posting better numbers than say Brad Marchand did in his first season in the AHL.

But if Franson = 2015 late 1st
does Brendan Leipsic = 2015 2nd?

I don't think he does. I'd rather take that 2nd in a deep draft. That's my only point of contention here. THough, if we can flip Jokinen for ANYTHING that would also help.

Vexed

Magic Marner
Feb 4, 2011
Barrie

Leafs see him as a Marchand or Gallagher.

gcjag

Sep 11, 2009
Lebrun says Leafs not close on Winnik. Looking for 2nd and a 3rd or 2nd and a prospect. Lots of interest though.

The Thin White Duke

Aug 11, 2009
That I would go for. Not a fan of Richards and Clarkson on the same team, but that's a huge return for measly Jokinen.

Yeah the contract sucks but you're replacing bozak with a comparable guy for ~600k more and picking up 2 1sts in the process. Richards contract is easier to deal with by the time we actually get competitive, let's say 2-3 years from now. There's an off chance he bounces back or somehow helps the room culture but that's just icing on the cake.

LA gets cap room to make a trade for a D right now and still has enough room to get Voynov back if his court case goes well. Possible that they miss the playoffs and the first ends up in the teens as well.

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
Would anyone (including the teams) consider Bernier to Edmonton for Pittsburg's 1st round in 2015? Makes sense for Edmonton who has been looking for a goalie for a while. We are in a re-build. I would then try to get Markstrom from Vancouver...hopefully cheap

Vexed

Magic Marner
Feb 4, 2011
Barrie
Would anyone (including the teams) consider Bernier to Edmonton for Pittsburg's 1st round in 2015? Makes sense for Edmonton who has been looking for a goalie for a while. We are in a re-build. I would then try to get Markstrom from Vancouver...hopefully cheap

Considering Bernier looks a couple years away from being good (if at all), I would be inclined to keep him unless I think he's already reached his peak

one77

Dec 22, 2013
Look, I kind of a agree with you and kind of don't too. Leipsic is posting better numbers than say Brad Marchand did in his first season in the AHL.

I don't think he does. I'd rather take that 2nd in a deep draft. That's my only point of contention here. THough, if we can flip Jokinen for ANYTHING that would also help.
Agreed on most of your points, but I just don't see Leipsic becoming anything close to Marchand. That's a pipe dream.

Johny Drama

Jun 7, 2009

Your expectations are out of wack.
Teams generally don't trade first round picks for rental players like Franson.
Wont be surprised if they were offering a 2nd and Lepsic for Franson, but Leafs pushed for the 1st rounder, and that's were the inclusion of Santorelli came into play.

Considering what it cost us to get these two guys (nothing) and the fact they are pending UFA's, this is a very good trade.

one77

Dec 22, 2013
Your expectations are out of wack.
Teams generally don't trade first round picks for rental players like Franson.
Wont be surprised if they were offering a 2nd and Lepsic for Franson, but Leafs pushed for the 1st rounder, and that's were the inclusion of Santorelli came into play.

Considering what it cost us to get these two guys (nothing) and the fact they are pending UFA's, this is a very good trade.
This is true. Again, I see this as a VERY late 1st rounder for Santo and Franson who we both got for free. So not too bad.

dimi78

Aug 9, 2008
He's the one that was saying Nashville had a lot of interest in Franson. Dreger as well. Both have said that Bozak is getting interest from other teams...

So I think the smoke is real.

Just a heads up that was after Weber said how de doesn't understand how the Leafs didn't get Franson signed long term long time ago & gave him a vote a confidence how he's underrated in TO.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

I think the key is what we get for Jokinen. If we get crap, then we probably just broke even (I don't think in any case we lose this deal). If we get a good deal, then it's fine. Leipsic is better than some guys you can get in the 2nd round, and if we do view him as Marchand, then he could very well be worth that. He also helps the Marlies right now, which I guess is somewhat positive too.

It's for two rentals, and we got a first that theoretically could still be in the mid-late teens if Nashville does a good ole' San Jose choke. We didn't lose. At worst, we just got an average deal. Nashville doesn't lose either. It's a good "hockey" deal.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land

So what should we have got?

And if there was something better don't you think they would've opted for that instead?

Leispic isn't the first prospect that came of mind when thinking of their prospects, But he still looks good. Coupled with a 1st round pick, And you have what they call a fair deal IMO.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Can you imagine if the Leafs get 4 first round picks in this draft? It would be pretty amazing. A Kessel trade will bring in one. Bozak could fetch one if there's a bidding war and Cox seems to think it's not impossible. JVR easily could as well.

It would be pretty massive for this rebuild.

DrizzyTO

OVO
Mar 21, 2013
Sanctuary ||
Can you imagine if the Leafs get 4 first round picks in this draft? It would be pretty amazing. A Kessel trade will bring in one. Bozak could fetch one if there's a bidding war. JVR easily could as well.

It would be pretty massive for this rebuild.

Keep Kessel and JVR.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad