FA/Trade Thread 14-15 Season V.17 - Bored, Now. Make another Trade Happen, Nonis!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Please no.

The last thing we need is this horribly inept GM trying to make more trades to save his job.

What could he possibly do, though?

I would imagine "saving his job" type moves would be moving a player like Bozak or Phaneuf for an unbelievable return - which is what we all want, no?

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Plus last year prior to the trade deadline it was reported that Nonis was willing to trade Joffrey Lupul to acquire him, however as we all know Los Angeles instead traded for Marian Gaborik.

So our potential trading partners have alternatives? Does that mean we might not get the most optimistic return that we were hoping for?

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
As I said in the thread who our next GM should be, I have a sneaky feeling Nonis will stay on. As stated in the article (but that was already well known before), Dave Nonis is well liked and respected around the league. He has a lot of front office experience even do he is only 48.

If Shanahan trust Nonis and believe he is a good GM that was put in a difficult position by the former GM (who assembled most of the team) and a board who wanted to make the playoffs and Nonis acted accordingly, well then I think he will be given a 2nd chance. Perhaps not the popular decision but could turn out to be the right decision.

I dont think there is a GM out there who single handily can turn a franchise around, it is always a group of people who share a vision together and know what roles they should play in that group that are successful.

Nonis role is to negotiate deals and use his web of contacts to smooth things along.
Hunter´s role is to oversee the drafting and developing of players.
Dubas is there to give an input on statistical stuff that the others might miss.
Shanahan is there as to give his opinions based on his long and successful career and try to have a birds view on things, see the bigger picture.

And if we are to truly rebuild then there wont be any big commitments made to any player but the focus will be on getting picks and prospects so Nonis role will be diminished already by that fact. It is through FA agent signings and extensions along with hockey trades that a GM can have the biggest effect on a team. Adding picks and prospects means the ones who are focusing on that will have a bigger impact on the teams future.

But this TDL and perhaps even the draft will decide his long terms future imo. I dont know if guns and blazing is what we should expect but if he manages to impress Shanahan and the others with his negotiating skills I do think he has a future. If not, then he will be replaced by some one else.

So to summarise, Nonis might not be THE guy for us but he might very well be one of the guys.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
That's asking too much.

He's a young, top 6 forward, within control for the foreseeable future. He is the type L.A needs more off.

No way they're dealing him along with a 1st. They've already waived Richards so he's off the cap. They can keep him there for as long as they like until they get an offer.

He's not Wade Redden and this isn't 2009.

He's still a detriment to their cap.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
That's asking too much.

He's a young, top 6 forward, within control for the foreseeable future. He is the type L.A needs more off.

No way they're dealing him along with a 1st. They've already waived Richards so he's off the cap. They can keep him there for as long as they like until they get an offer.

you should check your facts

richards is not off their cap

his cap hit right now is in the 4.85 milion range even in the AHL.

Dugath

Jan 9, 2014
As I said in the thread who our next GM should be, I have a sneaky feeling Nonis will stay on. As stated in the article (but that was already well known before), Dave Nonis is well liked and respected around the league. He has a lot of front office experience even do he is only 48.

If Shanahan trust Nonis and believe he is a good GM that was put in a difficult position by the former GM (who assembled most of the team) and a board who wanted to make the playoffs and Nonis acted accordingly, well then I think he will be given a 2nd chance. Perhaps not the popular decision but could turn out to be the right decision.

I dont think there is a GM out there who single handily can turn a franchise around, it is always a group of people who share a vision together and know what roles they should play in that group that are successful.

Nonis role is to negotiate deals and use his web of contacts to smooth things along.
Hunter´s role is to oversee the drafting and developing of players.
Dubas is there to give an input on statistical stuff that the others might miss.
Shanahan is there as to give his opinions based on his long and successful career and try to have a birds view on things, see the bigger picture.

And if we are to truly rebuild then there wont be any big commitments made to any player but the focus will be on getting picks and prospects so Nonis role will be diminished already by that fact. It is through FA agent signings and extensions along with hockey trades that a GM can have the biggest effect on a team. Adding picks and prospects means the ones who are focusing on that will have a bigger impact on the teams future.

But this TDL and perhaps even the draft will decide his long terms future imo. I dont know if guns and blazing is what we should expect but if he manages to impress Shanahan and the others with his negotiating skills I do think he has a future. If not, then he will be replaced by some one else.

So to summarise, Nonis might not be THE guy for us but he might very well be one of the guys.

Sorry, (and I know it is beating a dead horse) for the Clarkson contract alone he should be fired.

Did Nonis sign Clarkson without researching him first, why did he way over pay for someone with his history of performance.

It was not difficult me to look up Clarkson's performance since he came into the NHL.

And its not only the amount of $ but the way the contract was structured was like they thought Clarkson was some sort of superstar.

For this fantastic blunder Nonis should be gone.

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
Jesus christ there has to be a trade coming up sometime soon...this is getting too annoying now. SOO MUCH LEGS...however annoyance doesn't mean what they are doing is wrong :laugh: The boys are doing a good job realizing to wait for the right deal. I hate being a fan but a realist at times.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Sorry, (and I know it is beating a dead horse) for the Clarkson contract alone he should be fired.

Did Nonis sign Clarkson without researching him first, why did he way over pay for someone with his history of performance.

It was not difficult me to look up Clarkson's performance since he came into the NHL.

And its not only the amount of $ but the way the contract was structured was like they thought Clarkson was some sort of superstar.

For this fantastic blunder Nonis should be gone.

Yeah, but does Shanahan see it that way? If it was up to me we should find some one better but I can not deny that there is a lot of positives with Nonis as well, especially considering the lack of experience the others has.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
Nonis literally has zero positives.

He's been a titanic failure. You want to talk about accountability? Starts at the top

QMJHLfollower

Heart and soul
Jul 24, 2010
Ah so that's how they won the two cups.. Richards.

Obviously not only just him, but when you have Memorial Cup, a U20 gold, a Calder Cup, an Olympic Gold and 2 two Stanley Cup, you must be a winner and do something right.

If you watched the Kings in the playoffs last year, it was obvious Richards did anything to win and had a huge impact.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Saw a rumor that Bournival +3rd for Santorelli is on the table. Didn't know who's court the ball was in though.

Well I suggested that yesterday, but I don't think the Leafs do it unless it's a 2nd.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Kessel to Florida makes more and more sense. They have good young pieces for us to acquire and they have a huge need for a pure offensive player to boost their goal scoring abilities to go with a strong 2-way core. They are bottom 5 in GF and PP%.

Russo suggested that it's something to keep an eye on, especially with Kessel having a summer home in Florida apparently.

Targetting Huberdeau and/or Gudbranson could be feasible, along with a top pick and another solid prospect. Huberdeau was drafted as a center but hasn't played there at all this season. Perhaps the Leafs can move him back there to develop him further.

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
Saw a rumor that Bournival +3rd for Santorelli is on the table. Didn't know who's court the ball was in though.
Bournival is a solid pick but if try to pry away tinordi
Kessel to Florida makes more and more sense. They have good young pieces for us to acquire and they have a huge need for a pure offensive player to boost their goal scoring abilities to go with a strong 2-way core. They are bottom 5 in GF and PP%.

Russo suggested that it's something to keep an eye on, especially with Kessel having a summer home in Florida apparently.

Targetting Huberdeau and/or Gudbranson could be feasible, along with a top pick and another solid prospect. Huberdeau was drafted as a center but hasn't played there at all this season. Perhaps the Leafs can move him back there to develop him further.

We won't get huberdeau it is just not going to happen. Gudbrandson possibly but meh not that high on him as I was when he was in juniors he's more of a shut down guy now than a offensively juggernaut

CelticDruid

Oct 23, 2013
Penticton , BC

I have been thinking Florida for a while now. Tallon, is not afraid to spend money ( Bolland etc ) having Kessel in his fold would be great for this team of hard workers.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
We won't get huberdeau it is just not going to happen. Gudbrandson possibly but meh not that high on him as I was when he was in juniors he's more of a shut down guy now than a offensively juggernaut

We'll see. I think they'd part with Huberdeau for the right deal. I don't think we'll get both him and Gudbranson in a Kessel deal but I think you can easily get one of them, along with a 1st and probably a prospect like Trochek, Grimaldi or Matheson.

Panthers can also go hard after Sharp in the offseason to upgrade their LW. A line of Sharp, Barkov/Bjudstad and Kessel would be pretty dirty to me.

In any case, I have no idea if the Panthers have any interest but we'll see how they do in this stretch and in the playoffs. I think they'll see that they really need more offence.

QMJHLfollower

Heart and soul
Jul 24, 2010
Personally I'd be really interested in Gudbranson.

With two-way D like Rielly, Gardiner, Percy, Valiev, Loov and Finn all on the left side, getting Gudbranson is exactly what we need.

A big, mean, physical RHD with a big shot. Leadership qualities as well.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Kessel for Gudbranson + FLA 1st? They can even top ten protect it (make a 2016 instead) if they want.

Not quite enough but it's close-ish.

I like Gudbranson but I don't see him being a top pairing defender in his prime. His 2-way game isn't good enough. Very Luke Schenn-esque without the cement feet.

nwarrior

Aug 28, 2010
The Toronto Maple Leafs traded for defenceman Cody Franson and forward Mike Santorelli to Nashville on Sunday for a first-round draft pick in 2015 along with forwards Brendan Leipsic and Olli Jokinen

Reddaye

Nov 1, 2011
New Brunswick
Bournival is a solid pick but if try to pry away tinordi

Honestly, and this is coming from someone who lives near Saint John that watched Hubs play his entire run with the Sea Dogs, and bring the city and Atlantic Canada it's first Memorial Cup, so I like this kid a lot...

I really don't think it's a big stretch to suggest Huberdeau is a possibility in a Kessel trade. I'm not the type to grossly overrate our players but if Florida need help scoring on the wing and have an interest in Kessel then he's an immediate and huge upgrade over what they'd lose in Huberdeau now, and probably in the future.

Of any of their forward prospects I'd imagine Jonathan would be the most available for Phil. I don't expect we'd get Huberdeau AND Gudbranson, but I can see Huberdeau coming back if it's a forward coming back to us in the deal. Florida is getting the best player in the deal. They instantly get 30-40 goals and 80 points added to their forward core, and Phil has the playmaking ability to help their young centers rack up points and flourish offensively as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad