FA/Trade Thread 14-15 Season V.17 - Bored, Now. Make another Trade Happen, Nonis!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

WHorse

Jan 24, 2012
What about something like this.

Leafs
Bozak + Winnik

for

Jets
1st 2015 + 3rd 2015 + Prospect (Petan, or Lemieux)

Jets do it because in Bozak you get a solid third line center who can move into your second line no problem. Help with your faceoffs (Jets are 21st in the league). Instantly the Jets penalty kill becomes one of the best in the league, top 5 for sure with Winnik and Bozak helping there. Winnik is a big body guy who can be moved up and done the lineup and is one of those guys you love having in a seven game series. I believe this is a great move for both teams.

DrizzyTO

OVO
Mar 21, 2013
Sanctuary ||
You have to trade Kessel. JVR I'm fine with keeping.

Why trade Kessel? Why not build around him with players he can actually play with and not feel the pressure to carry? Give him a #1 centre and with JVR he'll shine. It's clear Bozak was never the answer but for some reason he was best friends with him.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010

Yikes, I don't see us getting that for Winnik. I'd be very happy with a 2nd tbh, expecting a 3rd+late pick

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Why trade Kessel? Why not build around him with players he can actually play with and not feel the pressure to carry? Give him a #1 centre and with JVR he'll shine. It's clear Bozak was never the answer but for some reason he was best friends with him.

Because it's simply not working. The leadership core as to be moved out.

This isn't to say Kessel isn't a great player, because he is, but the Leafs need to just start from scratch. Kessel needs to find a new home.

The Leafs will also be just as bad if not worst for at least 3 to 5 years, at which point Kessel will likely not be much better and perhaps even regress. You won't find a #1 center in that time frame, at least not one thats fully developed. Kessel's value is not likely to be much higher then what it is now... it's important to sell as high as you can while you are rebuilding.

It's time to turn the page and start a new era. This starts with Phaneuf and Kessel being traded. You go from there and see how it turns out with the rest and flip them if necessary.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

So it is never the fault of the player always the fault of their teammates?

Maybe it is time to trade for players who take ownership?

What are you willing to give up for that 1st. line center?

Kadri and Rielly for Johansen?
Kadri and Gardiner for O'Reilly?

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad

That train has left. Kessel has no future with the Leafs and he wrote his own last chapter. After last seasons collapse Shanahan said after this summer he would know who would come back in shape and be ready to be part of the future. Kessel showed up overweight and used preseason to get in shape.

He then again disappeared towards the end of the season after a couple of impressive months, offensively.

They know what they have with Kessel and they also know that we can never build a competitive team as long as he is around. It is a different situation if he joins a team that already has a strong core with leadership and a competitive atmosphere. But getting one with him on the roster is harder then him not being on the roster. I dont expect every one to understand that kind of thinking but just look at the point totals and go "wow", what a great player, if we just... etc etc.

Kessel has to go and we need to start over with younger, more hungry guys who are willing to play for the team and do what the coach tells them to do.

fasteddy

Aug 3, 2008
franson and santo for first, lepsic and olie is an awsome trade. now we trade olie for a second and that was a great nonis trade.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Yeah, no.

Why not Jokinen doesn't want to be here and will eventually be traded anyway and LA was the team that drafted him, so another small player but a good prospect in Weal and most are saying for a sixth or seven pick is all Jokinen will get.

Lifeisnice

Apr 23, 2014
Canada

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
We're not going for weal. We already have enough skilled, speedy, 5'10 guys.

You may not want him but I think the Leafs will trade for him before the dead line.

I really don't care about the size of players. All we need are players that can play. Weal have posted up great numbers in the AHL and looks like he was poised to be called up soon, but with the Kings cap issues, they couldn't. I'd rather have Leipsic or Weal then Biggs or Devane in the Marlies lineup.

Sounds like a Richards+Weal trade for Phaneuf is what's cooking, but that doesn't sound appealing to us. Weal isn't going to make this deal worth it, even if he's a solid prospect.

The writer also says there's no way the Leafs are getting Toffoli, Pearson, Zykov, Kempe or Miller. The Kings are pretty greedy if you ask me. ;)

doubledown99

May 21, 2009
O. Jokinen for a 2nd?

Wow some people really are clueless. Jokinen likely has no value. I expect him to be on the team till end of the year and then walk. The guy has 3 goals and 6 points in 48 games.

Lifeisnice

Apr 23, 2014
Canada
Why not Jokinen doesn't want to be here and will eventually be traded anyway and LA was the team that drafted him, so another small player but a good prospect in Weal

Because Jokinen has the value of a 6-7th round pick. No way L.A. considers moving Weal for Jokinen

pucky

Jan 11, 2011
Why do the Leafs have to take back Mike Richards for Phaneuf? There's plenty of teams who can take him on at full salary. Teams are starved for D. If we are taking on Richards, we better get Toffoli or Pearson at MINIMUM.
For a trade of salary.

From what I hear, Richards has really slowed down. This is the type of player the Leafs usually trade for. If they get him back, it shows this rebuild is a sham.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
So Phaneuf for Richards + Weal sounds like LA's best offer and that they are still iffy on it. I dont know why Nonis is pushing after Richards so hard (at least according to these reporters). Richards is done, really hope Phaneuf gets moved somewhere else

I think the Leafs want to take a chance on Richards and believe he could benefit from a change of scenery and bigger minutes. Some say he's done but if you can get Richards along with a pick and another good young asset, it could be worth it.

It's interesting at least.

rasarhdasd

Apr 12, 2013

That guy is always fun to read because he is such a ridiculous Kings homer. What incentive to take on Richards is there if the Kings don't add a decent prospect? No Pearson/Toffoli, or Kempe/Zykov (the latter isn't even lighting it up in junior), even Nick Shore is untouchable. It's laughable to think anyone will take on that contract without a major incentive, even retaining salary still has Richards on the books for 5 years.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
That guy is always fun to read because he is such a ridiculous Kings homer. What incentive to take on Richards is there if the Kings don't add a decent prospect? No Pearson/Toffoli, or Kempe/Zykov (the latter isn't even lighting it up in junior), even Nick Shore is untouchable. It's laughable to think anyone will take on that contract without a major incentive.

I agree. He sounds pretty bitter that the Kings may have to give away Richards with a great asset...

It's like he expects a good hockey trade for the Kings out of Richards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad