F Juraj Slafkovsky - TPS, Finland U20 (2022 Draft)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
To say that the quality of players is awful is kinda ignorant. KHL is a pretty darn good league and heaps and bounds better than the AHL.
well, that's just my personal take. I always like seeing some points for a player, regardless of league. Then again, he's a young kid.

stastny12

Dec 26, 2018
Trencin, Slovakia
A ceiling of Juraj Slafkovsky is incredibly high. Possibly, the highest from the whole 2022 draft class. The guy is a monster. Basically, he carried the entire offense of Team Slovakia in those first two opening games at the Olympics – as a 17-years old and as a 4th liner with zero PPG minutes! At this point, to me he seems like lock for top 5 position in the upcoming draft. Saying that I wont be surprised seeing him as high as first overall.

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
Will be fun to watch in April on U18 DIV-1A against teams like Japan, France and Kazakhstan.
I think he'll play at the Men's WC instead, there's no point in sending him to that age group team in a lower division if he's scoring on the senior NT.

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
A ceiling of Juraj Slafkovsky is incredibly high. Possibly, the highest from the whole 2022 draft class. The guy is a monster. Basically, he carried the entire offense of Team Slovakia in those first two opening games at the Olympics – as a 17-years old and as a 4th liner with zero PPG minutes! At this point, to me he seems like lock for top 5 position in the upcoming draft. Saying that I wont be surprised seeing him as high as first overall.
Also played well on the PK. Really all situations player, whether your down a goal or up a goal at the end of the game.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Will his skating hold him back at the NHL level? Based on scouting reports I have read his skillset lets him make up for the lack of high-end speed but he was listed as an average skater (not even a fast skater) so was curious from the folks that have seen him play.

kudla

May 11, 2016
Bratislava, Slovakia
Will his skating hold him back at the NHL level? Based on scouting reports I have read his skillset lets him make up for the lack of high-end speed but he was listed as an average skater (not even a fast skater) so was curious from the folks that have seen him play.
I'd say he is a good enough skater for his size. Nothing like Byfield, but it won't hold him back.

Last edited:

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
I should take back my comment I said earlier on him being the weakest of the three (Nemec, Mesar, Slaf), but this batch of Slovaks in this draft could be really nice. Do you think that Slaf could have potential on the level of Ziggy Palffy?

Reactions: hellwar9

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
Showed me his mental fortitude today when he made an ill-advised cross-ice pass on his first shift that was picked off. He didn't panic, just went to work to recover, and immediately made skilled plays with the puck afterward.

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
Minus the mullet.

That, but also minus the speed (the younguns only remember old man Jagr but most likely didn't see young Jagr, who was actually fast), GOAT-like puck protection, ultra-elite hands, and elite vision. And also with a completely different playing style.

So yeah, "young Jagr" sounds about right...

Seriously guys, Slafkovksy is much, much closer to "slightly better Armia" as a prospect than he is good old #68.

I say that but I do like Slafkovsky as a prospect, just not as much as a few guys/gals in this thread.

Last edited:

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
That, but also minus the speed (the younguns only remember old man Jagr but most likely didn't see young Jagr, who was actually fast), GOAT-like puck protection, ultra-elite hands, and elite vision. And also with a completely different playing style.

So yeah, "young Jagr" sounds about right...

Seriously guys, Slafkovksy is much, much closer to "slightly better Armia" as a prospect than he is good old #68.

I say that but I do like Slafkovsky as a prospect, just not as much as a few guys/gals in this thread.
Yeah lots of people need to calm down with this Jagr comparison. Jagr is arguably a top 3-5 player all time. The Finnish video calling him the Slovak Jagr is all fine, but Slaf is not that. He’s a good prospect who is showing very well with absolute garbage players (playing miles better than Mctavish who gets 10x better players) but he’s not the Slovak Jagr. His closest NHL comparison is Rantanen at the high end and maybe Mantha at the mid range level. If he reaches the level of the former, it would be a great success for Slovak hockey.

The argument is like saying Kemell will be the next Selanne, when (using your logic) he is closer to being a better Kapanen. Wright may never even reach prime Toews level.

Mikey09

Mar 28, 2013
Bratislava
  1. Yep looks alot like Rantanen. Not a bad player to have on your team.
Actually not really a Rantanen type of player and its not even close. Rantanen is more offensive minded, has better shot and overall knowledge to find prime scoring areas. Slaf will probably become bit more defensive minded power forward but with really good playmaking ability and passing skils. Some strange mix of Nino Niederreiter & Jake Voracek i would say. Maybe a Niederreiter with better playmaking ability and passing skills.

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
Actually not really a Rantanen type of player and its not even close. Rantanen is more offensive minded, has better shot and overall knowledge to find prime scoring areas. Slaf will probably become bit more defensive minded power forward but with really good playmaking ability and passing skils. Some strange mix of Nino Niederreiter & Jake Voracek i would say. Maybe a Niederreiter with better playmaking ability and passing skills.
If he only became a Niederreiter type that would be a massive dissapointment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad