F Juraj Slafkovsky - TPS, Finland U20 (2022 Draft)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
He has fantastic potential, but he needs to continue this into league play. You can get on a hot streak in these short tournaments, but consistency is everything. He's definitely got an enticing mix of size and skill though.

Mikey09

Mar 28, 2013
Bratislava
If he only became a Niederreiter type that would be a massive dissapointment
Maybe for someone who thinks about Slafkovsky as a sure thing 1st liner. Its still mostly a style wise comparision, Nino had more offensive potential than he is showing right now, he just did not pan out offensively, similiar to many young powerforwards with offensive potential. Another great comparision, both style and potential wise could be Alex Tuch, but nowhere near Jagr or even Rantanen, i dont see Slaf as a future 80+ point player, more of a 60+ clutch top6 winger at best.

Reactions: Wackster

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
Looks like the top 6 might be the top 7

Jiricek, Wright, Slafkovsky, Cooley, Kendell, Nemec, Savoie

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
I think he'll play at the Men's WC instead, there's no point in sending him to that age group team in a lower division if he's scoring on the senior NT.

Slovakia need full stacked team in lower division. Nothing like promotion is the goal. And for that, we need the best ones.

Yeah lots of people need to calm down with this Jagr comparison. Jagr is arguably a top 3-5 player all time. The Finnish video calling him the Slovak Jagr is all fine, but Slaf is not that.

I think, you compare the whole career of Jagr with talent of Slafkovsky. I dont know, ho old are you. But if you could transfer back to 1990 and see Jagr then and compare him with today's Slafkovsky, maybe you will say something different. Actually, there are some youtube videos, then you can.

Reactions: hellwar9

Wackster

Apr 5, 2017
Quebec city
Maybe for someone who thinks about Slafkovsky as a sure thing 1st liner. Its still mostly a style wise comparision, Nino had more offensive potential than he is showing right now, he just did not pan out offensively, similiar to many young powerforwards with offensive potential. Another great comparision, both style and potential wise could be Alex Tuch, but nowhere near Jagr or even Rantanen, i dont see Slaf as a future 80+ point player, more of a 60+ clutch top6 winger at best.

I think it is a fair evaluation unless he gets to play with a Mackinnon type of center who could bolster his stat sheet

Wackster

Apr 5, 2017
Quebec city
A ceiling of Juraj Slafkovsky is incredibly high. Possibly, the highest from the whole 2022 draft class. The guy is a monster. Basically, he carried the entire offense of Team Slovakia in those first two opening games at the Olympics – as a 17-years old and as a 4th liner with zero PPG minutes! At this point, to me he seems like lock for top 5 position in the upcoming draft. Saying that I wont be surprised seeing him as high as first overall.

I think the highest ceiling in the 2022 draft is Lambert but eh what do I know

xyzed

Jun 25, 2012
there's been a lot of doubts about his skating. I don't know why tho. He is so big so maybe when he is moving he doesn't look fast or anything. But from what I've seen in games against great skating teams like Finland and Sweden his skating is clearly very good. And it is not just my opinion. I've just read an article where Jere Lehtinen said he is very fast. Also Czech experts Robert Zaruba and Martin Hostak said his skating is great and Hostak who actually played against and with Jagr in one team said Slafkovsky is a better skater then Jagr was at his age. I think in almost every relevant scouting report I've read, skating is one of his advantages. So maybe he doesn't pass an eye test for someone but I think the reality is different

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
there's been a lot of doubts about his skating. I don't know why tho. He is so big so maybe when he is moving he doesn't look fast or anything. But from what I've seen in games against great skating teams like Finland and Sweden his skating is clearly very good. And it is not just my opinion. I've just read an article where Jere Lehtinen said he is very fast. Also Czech experts Robert Zaruba and Martin Hostak said his skating is great and Hostak who actually played against and with Jagr in one team said Slafkovsky is a better skater then Jagr was at his age. I think in almost every relevant scouting report I've read, skating is one of his advantages. So maybe he doesn't pass an eye test for someone but I think the reality is different
His skating is terrific for someone his size. That is an odd complaint, where did you read it?

Reactions: bert and Nowotny

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Maybe but he is already playing the wing and rarely a young winger become a center later on, the opposite happens quite often though

His coaches do seem to play him at center periodically, I believe. He seems to do well at it but it doesn't seem like anyone ever tried to move him to center officially. I'd guess he stays at LW unless he has a desire to switch.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016

He has the potential to be a PPG player for sure. He looks much more similar to a young Getzlaf than a Niederreter. That combo of size, reach, puck protection, smooth skating and sick hands are top line material. He also is a very good forechecker, great puck battler and will put alot of NHL defensemen in trouble.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
He’s been used in key situations for the Slovaks. Very impressive he’s only 17. 6’4 217 lbs can mature out at 6’5 230 power forward.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad