F Juraj Slafkovsky - TPS, Finland U20 (2022 Draft)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
Why doesn’t he produce in Liiga?

Because Liiga is much tougher competition than the Olympics :sarcasm:

Jokes aside, Slafkovsky hasn't gotten to play in a role where he could have achieved very often as he has been playing bottom 6 role. Maybe the bigger rink has affected as well. Also, his team struggles to score so it is not easy to get points. I expect that they are going to give him a chance to play in the top 6 after the Olympics. They need help in scoring and Slafkovsky should return to Liiga with his confidence high. I think he could do well with the top center Pärssinen.

stastny12

Dec 26, 2018
Trencin, Slovakia

Jokes aside, Slafkovsky hasn't gotten to play in a role where he could have achieved very often as he has been playing bottom 6 role. Maybe the bigger rink has affected as well. Also, his team struggles to score so it is not easy to get points. I expect that they are going to give him a chance to play in the top 6 after the Olympics. They need help in scoring and Slafkovsky should return to Liiga with his confidence high. I think he could do well with the top center Pärssinen.
Definitely can imaginem him to have a run like Kemell had at the start of the season.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021

you think that if he still falters in liiga, he can still be a top 5 pick just because of these olympics? 5 goals is pretty good for a 17 year old.

llwyd

Feb 22, 2006
Helsinki
This guy is damn impressive - obviously there is lots of hype and you never know but I just like the combination of his size (at 17) and skill set. Very nice indeed.

John Pedro

Feb 6, 2014
São Paulo
He's seems like a perfect fit on the Devils. May it be on Hughes' wing or Nico's. We need some big wingers that also happens to have top6 skill level badly

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
you think that if he still falters in liiga, he can still be a top 5 pick just because of these olympics? 5 goals is pretty good for a 17 year old.

Why not. The scouts had Slafkovsky in the top 10 even before the Olympics. I don't think his position is going to drop after this tournament.

Last edited:

vildurson

Jun 2, 2021
Something is off for me in this guy. He has size, is physichal and is decent skater. However i don't really see if his hands, playmaking or iq scream elite that would warrant him to be a good point producer in the NHL. So far he seems to me more like a great penalty killer / bottom 6 forward in NHL.

stastny12

Dec 26, 2018
Trencin, Slovakia
Why not. The scouts had had Slafkovsky in the top 10 even before the Olympics. I don't think his position is going to drop after this tournament.
As it stands now, he seems like somebody who is going to challenge Wright for the first position. Dont forget that it is more than likely he will be member of Slovakia at the WCH so his stocks are not gonna drop down.

Although it kinda look like Kaapo Kakko scenario. He was also shining among the men, however NHL decided to go with domestic skater. At that time I would take Kakko over Hughes.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Something is off for me in this guy. He has size, is physichal and is decent skater. However i don't really see if his hands, playmaking or iq scream elite that would warrant him to be a good point producer in the NHL. So far he seems to me more like a great penalty killer / bottom 6 forward in NHL.
then has he been penalty killing in the olympics?

vildurson

Jun 2, 2021
then has he been penalty killing in the olympics?

Does not mean that he won't be doing that in NHL. Has he been producing in Liiga yet?

It will be more interesting to see if he can continue this after olympics are over.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
As it stands now, he seems like somebody who is going to challenge Wright for the first position. Dont forget that it is more than likely he will be member of Slovakia at the WCH so his stocks are not gonna drop down.

Although it kinda look like Kaapo Kakko scenario. He was also shining among the men, however NHL decided to go with domestic skater. At that time I would take Kakko over Hughes.

See I was thinking this is almost the inverse or opposite of the Kakko scenario.

Kakko was absolutely clobbering Liiga with TPS his pre-draft season. 38 points in 45 games and all the prime ice time he could handle. He was a beast. Slaf has 4 points in 21 games with TPS in a minimal role.

With Kakko the idea was certaintly at draft time that you were getting a ready-made star who could step into the NHL and excel right away. Slafkovsky is a piece of clay that has shown some bursts of incredible upside and has immense physical traits but is clearly an absolute work in progress. The fact that Kakko struggles so much makes me think the direct conversion of Liiga production to NHL production for NHL prospects is pretty tenuous at best.

You might say "well, if Kakko struggles so much think how bad Slaf will be" but every scenario is different and I think if anything it says when drafting from Finland you need to not be mesmerized by gaudy pre-draft stats but rather focus on what you think the development curve of the prospect will be. If you think you can mold Slaf into a Rantanen-type forward with good development - I think you as a scout may look past his Liiga stats this season.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
See I was thinking this is almost the inverse or opposite of the Kakko scenario.

Kakko was absolutely clobbering Liiga with TPS his pre-draft season. 38 points in 45 games and all the prime ice time he could handle. He was a beast. Slaf has 4 points in 21 games with TPS in a minimal role.

With Kakko the idea was certaintly at draft time that you were getting a ready-made star who could step into the NHL and excel right away. Slafkovsky is a piece of clay that has shown some bursts of incredible upside and has immense physical traits but is clearly an absolute work in progress. The fact that Kakko struggles so much makes me think the direct conversion of Liiga production to NHL production for NHL prospects is pretty tenuous at best.

You might say "well, if Kakko struggles so much think how bad Slaf will be" but every scenario is different and I think if anything it says when drafting from Finland you need to not be mesmerized by gaudy pre-draft stats but rather focus on what you think the development curve of the prospect will be. If you think you can mold Slaf into a Rantanen-type forward with good development - I think you as a scout may look past his Liiga stats this season.
but, he was put on a really mediocre role on the Rangers. I hate that Kakko is the end all for all Euro prospects somehow, but that's the truth. It's odd because Kakko can just look like a dominator at times yet he can't buy a goal or assist.

masinaLFC

Apr 2, 2014
Banska Bystrica, SVK
with all due respect, this is propably the most stupid thing I have ever seen here

vildurson

Jun 2, 2021
with all due respect, this is propably the most stupid thing I have ever seen here

That's all you can say? Just let other people have differing opinions than yours. I am comfortable with my opinion but I don't mind if I am proven wrong by Juraj.

Martinez89

May 20, 2019

Wow. Kid is the best goal scorer in Olympics, has size, skating, great hands... Against international competition is the best or one of the best players on the ice game after game after game. That´s all in age of 17 and for you this is a bottom six material :huh: I´m not sure what are your expectations for 17 y.o. players in all...

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Wow. Kid is the best goal scorer in Olympics, has size, skating, great hands... Against international competition is the best or one of the best players on the ice game after game after game. That´s all in age of 17 and for you this is a bottom six material :huh: I´m not sure what are your expectations for 17 y.o. players in all...
if this kid ends up as a bottom 6 player after this, i'll be extremely disappointed alongside everyone else.

Reactions: Nowotny

lawrence

May 19, 2012
He’s getting huge minutes against the fins. The last 2 huge scoring chances for Slovak was on his stick. He’s on slavaks 1st line.

Reway10

Feb 24, 2020
Slovakia
Does not mean that he won't be doing that in NHL. Has he been producing in Liiga yet?

It will be more interesting to see if he can continue this after olympics are over.

buddy you should probably start watching hockey, because this post is beyond ridicilous

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
The kid is hands down the best player on the ice in Finland-Slovakia game and at 17. He is gonna go Top5 in the draft. I`d easily take him Top3.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
For me, he's been a delight to watch and the only reason to watch this tournament at this point.

What he does when he goes back to his Liiga team will tell us a lot though. He should be able to produce a 0.5 PPG the rest of the way with what he is showing here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad