F Juraj Slafkovsky - TPS, Finland U20 (2022 Draft)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
He is really good. Plays for my hometown team TPS. Not that I`m a fan of the team though, but I am a fan of Slafkowsky. He reads the play well and is very promising. Slafkowsky has matured very well this year. It seem beneficial for youngsters to come to Finland and play Liiga. In a lot of middle-pack teams the kids get a lot of icetime and they get to play adults and tougher games than QMJL etc

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
He has fantastic potential, but he needs to continue this into league play. You can get on a hot streak in these short tournaments, but consistency is everything. He's definitely got an enticing mix of size and skill though.
Everything is what the player is actually capable of not how consistent they are as a teenager. Does he have an elite enough of a skillset to translate to impact play in the NHL. His projected peak is what matters at 17 years old. You're trying to project if he can be elite in the NHL. This guys got it, highest potential in the draft. Of course we want to see more consistency but compared to his counter parts no one has a higher ceiling. He is guaranteed to go top 3.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Everything is what the player is actually capable of not how consistent they are as a teenager. Does he have an elite enough of a skillset to translate to impact play in the NHL. His projected peak is what matters at 17 years old. You're trying to project if he can be elite in the NHL. This guys got it, highest potential in the draft. Of course we want to see more consistency but compared to his counter parts no one has a higher ceiling. He is guaranteed to go top 3.

This always feels like a weird trap to me because I think I value that consistency over projecting a ceiling. Depends on what we're talking about as consistency as well.

Best example I can think of off the top of my head would be Laine vs Tkachuk in their draft. At the time almost everyone would say Laine > Tkachuk because his ceiling is so much higher but if you asked now, a lot of people would take the consistency Tkachuk provides > the up n down Patrik Laine and his elite ceiling.

Personally I have trouble really taking anything from the Olympics seriously considering all these teams were thrown together with little to no preparation. I'd rather judge an entire body of work in a top Euro league. And with Slafkovsky it's one of those weird situations where I see a player in Liiga and actually like him but then I see where people are projecting him and I say "Oh really that high? Ok good luck"

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
Of course we want to see more consistency but compared to his counter parts no one has a higher ceiling. He is guaranteed to go top 3.
Don't think this is true. I love him as a prospect but a guy like Savoie, or even Wright may have a higher ceiling. He's also not a guarentee at all to go top 3. Most lists have the top-3 consisting of some combiniation of Wright and Cooley/Savoie/Kemell/Nemec but Slafkovsky is definitely right there with them with recent play.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Don't think this is true. I love him as a prospect but a guy like Savoie, or even Wright may have a higher ceiling. He's also not a guarentee at all to go top 3. Most lists have the top-3 consisting of some combiniation of Wright and Cooley/Savoie/Kemell/Nemec but Slafkovsky is definitely right there with them with recent play.
From a physical stand point I dont see how Wright or Savoie touch him. He is bigger, faster, stronger and flat out more impressive. Savoie is a very small player and Wright doesnt have close to his explosiveness. A team will value what he has to offer more than internet lists in my opinion. I predicted Seider would go in the top 10, its the same kind of situation. But for him I believe he will go top 3. Teams value raw talent, size and the ability to be effective against men as teenagers. It was obvious the first game I watched him at the WJC. He is a unique player in a draft that lacks raw high end talent

This always feels like a weird trap to me because I think I value that consistency over projecting a ceiling. Depends on what we're talking about as consistency as well.

Best example I can think of off the top of my head would be Laine vs Tkachuk in their draft. At the time almost everyone would say Laine > Tkachuk because his ceiling is so much higher but if you asked now, a lot of people would take the consistency Tkachuk provides > the up n down Patrik Laine and his elite ceiling.

Personally I have trouble really taking anything from the Olympics seriously considering all these teams were thrown together with little to no preparation. I'd rather judge an entire body of work in a top Euro league. And with Slafkovsky it's one of those weird situations where I see a player in Liiga and actually like him but then I see where people are projecting him and I say "Oh really that high? Ok good luck"
Were looking for completely different things in prospects when we evaluate. It was obvious at the WJC too and he didnt have the production, the way he moves along with his puck skills for a 17 year old that is 6'3 simply doesnt come along very often. This hockey is really good its the best barometer to evaluate any of the draft eligibles. All you have to do is watch Canadas games in both tournaments. Mactavish and Power looked like men against boys in the WJC out here they are average and do not stand out. Its much faster hockey to the naked eye.

Last edited:

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
If you want Palffy 2.0, pray for Filip Mesar. That is his clone.

Slafkovsky is something between Jagr and Hossa.
"here are two choices, you can have something really good, or something EVEN BETTER"

dude, give me either! I like either as that ceiling!

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
It's simply ridiculous what he is doing at this tournament. His IQ is trough the roof and skates very well too
Can you share an example or two that suggests he has high hockey IQ?
I haven't seen him play yet.
With players that have all the tools, like he does, it's easy to assume the hockey IQ isn't on the same level (because if it was, they might be more dominant).

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I have not seen him play in Finalnd, but I have freaking loved this kid when I have seen him in international tournaments.

Reactions: hellwar9

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
With players that have all the tools, like he does, it's easy to assume the hockey IQ isn't on the same level (because if it was, they might be more dominant).
If you an find a copy of his games from the WJC you will see his processing and passing ability on display.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019

Yeah I can't see Wright or anyone else with his ceiling.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB

Elite prospects started doing video breakdowns of all the top prospects. Here's Slafkovsky video.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Why doesn’t he produce in Liiga?

His ice time has been all over the place. It looks like he was given some minutes in September, and then it has kind of trailed off.

This is his game log, his last 10 games:
1/21/2022 - 6:02
12/10/2021 - 11:03
12/8/2021 - 17:33
12/3/2021 - 12:03
12/1/2021 - 14:07
11/30/2021 - 8:29
11/24/2021 - 11:24
11/18/2021 - 12:36
11/5/2021 - 12:16
10/26/2021 - 14:11

TPS is also bottom 5 in Goals For.