Prospect Info: F Isak Rosen (14th Overall, 2021), Assigned to Rochester 12/10

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
He has soft as butter, really his main issue. Can he protect the puck at higher levels. Lots of little guys can. I'd like to see what he can do in AHL.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
When he’s had opportunities to attack he’s attacked. He’s had some great rushes this tournament. What he doesn’t do is fly around turning the puck over almost every shift trying to be a one man show like half of Sweden is doing. In a tournament where that team is making an unreal amount of negative plays in the offensive zone…he isn’t.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
When he’s had opportunities to attack he’s attacked. He’s had some great rushes this tournament. What he doesn’t do is fly around turning the puck over almost every shift trying to be a one man show like half of Sweden is doing. In a tournament where that team is making an unreal amount of negative plays in the offensive zone…he isn’t.

He is indeed responsible and doesn't make those kind of individual/selfish high risk plays.

He should just study Jake Guentzel's game. I think he's the best, most effective player in terms of being a small winger with a slight frame who just happens to win so many board battles just through his positioning, anticipation, determination and good stick/hands but without ever throwing a hit (though he certainly absorbs a lot of them).

Ralonzo

Я хочу!
Nov 6, 2006
Virginia
Walmart brand Pasta ;)

c5d8b885-1f81-437f-b5f2-31e68dbdef83.865bb424f6d7f97edfc67e9c85856591.jpeg

Walmart Pasta at 13OA may not be a "Great Value" but should be a solid value. That said, good to see both the Sabres firsties getting it done at the WJC. That's what they should be doing. Extra credit for Kulich in his "draft year."

Satanphonehome

Jan 4, 2015

Sweden seems to be coached by a guy who values machismo and do-it-yourself players over smarts and teamwork.

I'm not overly enamoured with Rosen — he seems to lack the pace-pushing gene we've seen from so many recent Sabres acquisitions — but he does have the smart gene, and he is not playing in a system or with players designed to complement his game.

Faceboner

Jan 6, 2022
Sweden seems to be coached by a guy who values machismo and do-it-yourself players over smarts and teamwork.

I'm not overly enamoured with Rosen — he seems to lack the pace-pushing gene we've seen from so many recent Sabres acquisitions — but he does have the smart gene, and he is not playing in a system or with players designed to complement his game.
You pair him with those types of players so he he can capitalize in the space created for him by those type of players imagine lets say a guy like cozens forechecks hard and causes a turnover rosen is there to get that puck and put it top corner or send a pass to the open guy perfect scenario but that is how a guy like rosen fits with pace pushing players

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
So, Rochester and Peca definitely have their work cut out for them with this kid. Has the flashes of skill but jesus he could not look less interested in battling. He's like the Anti-Peterka.

Reactions: Club and Ralonzo

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
So, Rochester and Peca definitely have their work cut out for them with this kid. Has the flashes of skill but jesus he could not look less interested in battling. He's like the Anti-Peterka.

I pretty much agree. You can see the top 15 skill all day long but if there's a 50/50 puck battle, it seems like he and anyone watching is expecting him to lose or get knocked off the puck with ease.

If he can't win puck battles nor show a willingness to drive to the inside in the offensive zone at the WJC level, I don't know how he's going to be expected to do this with any sort of success in the AHL against higher quality and bigger/stronger men.

I'm not saying this will never happen -- that needs to be determined with time and physical development -- but he really look like a guy who should be playing in the CHL (but he wasn't selected in the import draft unfortunately) or in a perfect world in the NCAA where he'd spend more time practicing and in the gym (but I know he's not eligible for college).

So I'm left to wonder that if the Sabres are content with whatever the situation would be for Rosen in Sweden next year, unlike last season, that Rosen may be best served by going back there for another season before coming over to the AHL. I'm now keeping my fingers crossed that he will go back to Sweden for another year and can be put in a great developmental situation.

Reactions: Club

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
I pretty much agree. You can see the top 15 skill all day long but if there's a 50/50 puck battle, it seems like he and anyone watching is expecting him to lose or get knocked off the puck with ease.

If he can't win puck battles nor show a willingness to drive to the inside in the offensive zone at the WJC level, I don't know how he's going to be expected to do this with any sort of success in the AHL against higher quality and bigger/stronger men.

I'm not saying this will never happen -- that needs to be determined with time and physical development -- but he really look like a guy who should be playing in the CHL (but he wasn't selected in the import draft unfortunately) or in a perfect world in the NCAA where he'd spend more time practicing and in the gym (but I know he's not eligible for college).

So I'm left to wonder that if the Sabres are content with whatever the situation would be for Rosen in Sweden next year, unlike last season, that Rosen may be best served by going back there for another season before coming over to the AHL. I'm now keeping my fingers crossed that he will go back to Sweden for another year and can be put in a great developmental situation.
We knew this would be a long term project and a risk pick, I don't mind him going to the A just because we've seen what they did with Quinn and Peterka.

If Mike Peca (who was everything this kid lacks) can't get this kid to shore up and get up for that part of his game I don't think anybody can.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Weird, I don't see an unwillingness to get into the inside lane. I did see plenty of a failure to deliver the puck to him when he did get inside. There is a distinct lack of mass and strength that inhibits his game and that isn't something we're discovering newly. The downside to this tournament is that he's now been on the ice for weeks rather than pounding protein shakes and metal plates, he's been on the ice being oddly used by a bonehead of a coach who can't seem to figure out that when he needs a goal, his best goal scorers on the team in Rosen and Lekkerimaki might be better served ON THE ICE than on the bench.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
We knew this would be a long term project and a risk pick, I don't mind him going to the A just because we've seen what they did with Quinn and Peterka.

If Mike Peca (who was everything this kid lacks) can't get this kid to shore up and get up for that part of his game I don't think anybody can.

I think the sole issue is that even if he can be coached to become more effective on the boards & in the corners and to drive to the inside & the net more, he still HAS TO add physical strength in order to be able to do that effectively.

So it may simply be the case where he just does not YET have the physical maturity and strength to be able to do that effectively against men, especially on the smaller ice.

That's why I'm saying if he played another year in SWE and then came over next summer 15 lbs heavier, he would be in a better position to succeed in that regard. I think there's downside to having him be in the AHL and either be ineffective at certain parts of the game he needs to be good at or lose confidence overall if he's not able to excel at that level.

I'm not in a position to know for certain, as none of us are, because we're not on the inside of the evaluation process including seeing what his development trajectory may be from a physical perspective or how good of a developmental situation he may/may not have if he were to go back to SWE for another year. But from the outside, I don't think he's ready to make the jump to the AHL.

Reactions: Ralonzo

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Weird, I don't see an unwillingness to get into the inside lane. I did see plenty of a failure to deliver the puck to him when he did get inside. There is a distinct lack of mass and strength that inhibits his game and that isn't something we're discovering newly. The downside to this tournament is that he's now been on the ice for weeks rather than pounding protein shakes and metal plates, he's been on the ice being oddly used by a bonehead of a coach who can't seem to figure out that when he needs a goal, his best goal scorers on the team in Rosen and Lekkerimaki might be better served ON THE ICE than on the bench.

I agree with the tune you've been singing for a while about the "downside" of him being at the tournament this summer rather than in the gym. But the two counter-arguments are:

1) He missed so much hockey last year, it's important for him to get playing time & experience and his confidence level back up. I do believe he's accomplished this by playing in the tourney.

2) Even if he had spent the entire summer in the gym and pounding protein shakes, that may not be sufficient because it might just be the case that his body isn't yet ready to pack on the pounds as a 19 year old and his physical development trajectory/potential will just take more time.

If the 2nd point is the case, then he just needs time, and we need to find a way to best give him that time where he can still be as effective on the ice as possible while waiting for his body to mature. Although that could be to have him in the AHL, it may be to have him in SWE is even more optimal, since paths like the CHL or NCAA are not available to him. If he was North American, he is pretty much the EXACT type of player we would say should spend at least 2 or 3 full seasons in college before making the jump to the AHL.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Some weird takes in here tbh. i feel like people have replaced reality with what they already believed. He wasn’t thrown around this tournament. He didn’t lose board battles. He constantly kept plays alive chipping pucks out of danger and set himself up for good shot quality in scoring areas while not receiving the puck from his free wheeling puck hog turnover machine line mate.

If you want to see someone constantly driving into hits and getting tossed off the puck and turning it over repeatedly…that’s what Lysell did all tournament. Rosen worked around him and played smart and found success.

I guess people want him to drive into trouble instead of opportunity to prove he’s a tough guy?

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I agree with the tune you've been singing for a while about the "downside" of him being at the tournament this summer rather than in the gym. But the two counter-arguments are:

1) He missed so much hockey last year, it's important for him to get playing time & experience and his confidence level back up. I do believe he's accomplished this by playing in the tourney.

2) Even if he had spent the entire summer in the gym and pounding protein shakes, that may not be sufficient because it might just be the case that his body isn't yet ready to pack on the pounds as a 19 year old and his physical development trajectory/potential will just take more time.

If the 2nd point is the case, then he just needs time, and we need to find a way to best give him that time where he can still be as effective on the ice as possible while waiting for his body to mature. Although that could be to have him in the AHL, it may be to have him in SWE is even more optimal, since paths like the CHL or NCAA are not available to him. If he was North American, he is pretty much the EXACT type of player we would say should spend at least 2 or 3 full seasons in college before making the jump to the AHL.

The primary upside to him going to the U20's was assuaging Sabre fans who have a feather up their ass about the pick. We know that against his peer group he can be a productive offensive threat off the wing.

He needs time. Personally, I'd rather that not be on the busses in the AHL. It doesn't NEED to be in the AHL either.

Reactions: jmelm

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
You pair him with those types of players so he he can capitalize in the space created for him by those type of players imagine lets say a guy like cozens forechecks hard and causes a turnover rosen is there to get that puck and put it top corner or send a pass to the open guy perfect scenario but that is how a guy like rosen fits with pace pushing players
This describes how smart coaches create lines of complementary players.

Rosen isn't going to be the guy digging a puck out of the corner, and finding an open teammate, after winning a physical 1-on-1 battle. He's going to be the open teammate with the puck on his stick in scoring position after finding some space.

I'm encouraged by his tournament play. Hopefully we see some big development steps this season.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
I'm not sure if Rosén is better served in the SHL or in the AHL next season but I know I trust our coaches in the AHL and they have workout equipment there. He can build strength anywhere.

Reactions: Club

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
This describes how smart coaches create lines of complementary players.

Rosen isn't going to be the guy digging a puck out of the corner, and finding an open teammate, after winning a physical 1-on-1 battle. He's going to be the open teammate with the puck on his stick in scoring position after finding some space.

I'm encouraged by his tournament play. Hopefully we see some big development steps this season.

Agreed, there is certainly production and opportunity that he's taken to come out of the tournament pleased at his play. And it also points to how he is not going to be a singular play driver but as you say, the finisher on a line of complimentary players.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
I'm not sure if Rosén is better served in the SHL or in the AHL next season but I know I trust our coaches in the AHL and they have workout equipment there. He can build strength anywhere.
I just want him to play where he's going to get more than 7 minutes a game

With that said, I guess practicing with SHL guys can't be overlooked either, there's a lot that can still be learned outside of games

Faceboner

Jan 6, 2022

With that said, I guess practicing with SHL guys can't be overlooked either, there's a lot that can still be learned outside of games
If the ahl plan is a sheltered role with a heavy focus on off ice training for his first year yes please, something like 13 minutes with pp time year after that gets 3 extra minutes then he should be ready to make the jump

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021

Practice is study hall. Game play is exam time. He needs plenty of both this season, plus loads of time in the power rack.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad