Prospect Info: F Isak Rosen (14th Overall, 2021), Assigned to Rochester 12/10

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
I mean he produced well against his peers this past season also in the J20. I think some people just expected more with the SHL club, but obviously Buffalo didn't like the way he was being developed there so hopefully he shows more of why he was drafted where he was in Rochester.
He wasn't really getting the chance to play with the men's club. He was being used as a 13th-14th F. Pretty hard to be productive in that situation. Remeber all those goals Skinner scored from the 4th line when Krueger parked him there? Yeah, me neither.

WhereAreTheCookies

Feb 16, 2022
Top Shelf
He wasn't really getting the chance to play with the men's club. He was being used as a 13th-14th F. Pretty hard to be productive in that situation. Remeber all those goals Skinner scored from the 4th line when Krueger parked him there? Yeah, me neither.
Yes and that's why I said "some people" expected more, I didn't specifically state I expected more. but you do you.

WhereAreTheCookies

Feb 16, 2022
Top Shelf
I'm pleasantly surprised tbh, Rosen was a bit of a write off for me. Didn't like the pick, hopefully they Quinn'd this thing again.
I admittedly wasn't the biggest fan of the pick at the time, but the 21 draft was such a crapshoot with COVID and so many young players having to sit out or play very few games. I trust the Sabres scouting department though and if he was their guy then that's good enough for me right now.

RhinoFan

May 28, 2016
I admittedly wasn't the biggest fan of the pick at the time, but the 21 draft was such a crapshoot with COVID and so many young players having to sit out or play very few games. I trust the Sabres scouting department though and if he was their guy then that's good enough for me right now.
Good point about Covid, I tend to skip over that when thinking about these drafts, 2021s redraft will be wild.

As far as trust goes, I'd say they're still on thin ice, but agreed that it's getting a lot better. I have a lot more faith in Ventura/Karm than I ever did in Botts et al, the late round hits like Neuchev, Novikov and Nadeau are very promising.

WhereAreTheCookies

Feb 16, 2022
Top Shelf
Good point about Covid, I tend to skip over that when thinking about these drafts, 2021s redraft will be wild.

As far as trust goes, I'd say they're still on thin ice, but agreed that it's getting a lot better. I have a lot more faith in Ventura/Karm than I ever did in Botts et al, the late round hits like Neuchev, Novikov and Nadeau are very promising.
They've hit a lot of potential homeruns in the few short years since Botteril was fired. That along with Forton stating several times that McAvoy was their guy over Nylander in 2016. I don't believe that Forton would make that claim if it wasn't sincere, along with why he was so high on him. That really gives me a lot of faith that they are making the right selections now without a GM interfering.

Zach716

Pucks in deep
Nov 24, 2018
Glad to see him doing well again. Just needed the chance. It's clear our FO has a tendency for high skill/payout guys which I love. Rosen, Savoie, Ostlund, holding out for Krebs in the trade, etc.

We already have enough solid guys to fill out the lineup for years to come so hitting on just a couple of these types will be huge for us.

Reactions: RhinoFan

RefsIdeas

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Did an assist get taken away from Rosen? I don’t see it on the score sheet

Diaspora

Jul 13, 2020
Glad to see him doing well again. Just needed the chance. It's clear our FO has a tendency for high skill/payout guys which I love. Rosen, Savoie, Ostlund, holding out for Krebs in the trade, etc.

We already have enough solid guys to fill out the lineup for years to come so hitting on just a couple of these types will be huge for us.
If three of our second-tier prospects make good on their upsides, a trip to Buffalo is going to traumatize other teams during the second half of this decade.

• Love
Reactions: GOALOFSSON

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
I'm curious to know other's thoughts on Rosen after watching him so far in the WJCs....

What I see so far is that 1st round skill & skating, and also good positional awareness both offensively and defensively, but I also see a player who is losing a lot of battles along the boards.

It also seems as if his role and ice time has been reduced over the last few games. Unfortunately I can't quantify this because I haven't seen ice time & PP time stats, etc., but I'm not noticing him out there as much as the first few games.

This just kind of reignites my concern and which @Chainshot has talked about a lot as well in terms of him needing to fill out & add strength -- which is perfectly normal at that age & stage of development. But what is not normal and may be suboptimal is that if he's not faring particularly well along the boards at the WJC level, I'm concerned about how he's going to fare in this regard against bigger, stronger players in the AHL.

I do look at him and really regret that he wasn't taken in the CHL import draft since I think he needs to be at whatever level and in whatever league where he can be a more dominant player and be supremely confident and while he's growing physically and developing in general.

Given that the CHL isn't an option, I do wonder if he may be more likely to return to Sweden (depending how he performs in camp, etc.) if the Sabres feel like it would be a better option for his development to give him one more year over there before bringing him to Rochester. This of course also hinges on BUF being much more confident that he'll be in a better role and get the kind of development time he didn't last year. I'm not sure the exact arrangement and what options they have other than that I think his team was relegated to the Allsvenskan. :dunno:

RefsIdeas

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
I'm curious to know other's thoughts on Rosen after watching him so far in the WJCs....

What I see so far is that 1st round skill & skating, and also good positional awareness both offensively and defensively, but I also see a player who is losing a lot of battles along the boards.

It also seems as if his role and ice time has been reduced over the last few games. Unfortunately I can't quantify this because I haven't seen ice time & PP time stats, etc., but I'm not noticing him out there as much as the first few games.

This just kind of reignites my concern and which @Chainshot has talked about a lot as well in terms of him needing to fill out & add strength -- which is perfectly normal at that age & stage of development. But what is not normal and may be suboptimal is that if he's not faring particularly well along the boards at the WJC level, I'm concerned about how he's going to fare in this regard against bigger, stronger players in the AHL.

I do look at him and really regret that he wasn't taken in the CHL import draft since I think he needs to be at whatever level and in whatever league where he can be a more dominant player and be supremely confident and while he's growing physically and developing in general.

Given that the CHL isn't an option, I do wonder if he may be more likely to return to Sweden (depending how he performs in camp, etc.) if the Sabres feel like it would be a better option for his development to give him one more year over there before bringing him to Rochester. This of course also hinges on BUF being much more confident that he'll be in a better role and get the kind of development time he didn't last year. I'm not sure the exact arrangement and what options they have other than that I think his team was relegated to the Allsvenskan. :dunno:
I've been very impressed. It does seem like he's the kind of player that thrives in space. I agree that his positional awareness is very good, very good speed, very good shot. There was one play vs USA where he was chasing after a puck and bumped into Brock Faber, and Faber didn't move at all. It was like a kid running into an adult lol.

He's certainly going to need to add strength, but perhaps we'd have a better opportunity monitoring his training/diet if he's in Rochester - and we can have control of his ice time. In my eyes, he should be on every PP1 and getting top-6 minutes. He's going to be playing against men in Sweden or Rochester, so might as well have him do it here. In the near future he's not going to be able to gain enough strength to really offset his board battle problem - so he's just going to have to figure out how to manage the game at his weight.

Faceboner

Jan 6, 2022
I've been very impressed. It does seem like he's the kind of player that thrives in space. I agree that his positional awareness is very good, very good speed, very good shot. There was one play vs USA where he was chasing after a puck and bumped into Brock Faber, and Faber didn't move at all. It was like a kid running into an adult lol.

He's certainly going to need to add strength, but perhaps we'd have a better opportunity monitoring his training/diet if he's in Rochester - and we can have control of his ice time. In my eyes, he should be on every PP1 and getting top-6 minutes. He's going to be playing against men in Sweden or Rochester, so might as well have him do it here. In the near future he's not going to be able to gain enough strength to really offset his board battle problem - so he's just going to have to figure out how to manage the game at his weight.
Rosen possesses all the things that are way harder to teach i thought he was always going to be a longer term type prospect with a high ceiling but i do agree with having him in rochester for reasons you stated give him a sheltered offensive role with a focus on strength and conditioning, diet and get all around acclimated to the NA pro life

js31

Aug 2, 2005
Albeit in limited viewings this tournament, I see a player with high-end tools - shot, speed, hockey IQ. He moves the puck quickly and has good positional awareness. As most have already pointed out, he will need to add strength and physical maturity.

He plays a smart game, reads the play well, but at times, I think he is a little too passive. I would like to see him be a bit more assertive on the ice, especially against his peers or when playing with less skilled linemates. Part of me worries that he could get lost in the shuffle and struggle to produce if in the AHL next season, while the other part of me thinks that his development could be best served by letting our coaches in Rochester get their hands on him - getting him into our strength program, having him learn from Peca every day, etc. After seeing the development of Quinn and Peterka this past season, I do have faith in the coaching staff in Rochester in developing our young players and putting them in positions to succeed. I'm cautiously optimistic they can do the same with Rosen, though I think he has further to go than those two, and will need a longer developmental path. Adding strength, physical maturity, and a bit more assertiveness to his game, and I think there is an NHL player there. This will be an important year of development for him, and I'm curious to see where it goes.

I don't think the Swedish coach has done him any favors in this tournament however, as his last two games his ice time was definitely limited. Following up from his previous 2 games where he scored in both, and had a beautiful steal and assist in the 2nd game, I don't believe the limited ice time was warranted at all. The Swedish team has played some uninspiring hockey in this tournament, and it seems like the Swedish coach values his older players and size, strength, physical maturity vs. the smaller, younger, skill players. Not only leaving Ostlund off this roster, but then coming out directly stating that Ostlund wasn't good enough to play on this team (which is highly questionable to begin with), seems to be further indicative of this.

Overall, I think Rosen has showed pretty well this tournament despite his coach, in the limited opportunities he's been given.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Albeit in limited viewings this tournament, I see a player with high-end tools - shot, speed, hockey IQ. He moves the puck quickly and has good positional awareness. As most have already pointed out, he will need to add strength and physical maturity.

He plays a smart game, reads the play well, but at times, I think he is a little too passive. I would like to see him be a bit more assertive on the ice, especially against his peers or when playing with less skilled linemates. Part of me worries that he could get lost in the shuffle and struggle to produce if in the AHL next season, while the other part of me thinks that his development could be best served by letting our coaches in Rochester get their hands on him - getting him into our strength program, having him learn from Peca every day, etc. After seeing the development of Quinn and Peterka this past season, I do have faith in the coaching staff in Rochester in developing our young players and putting them in positions to succeed. I'm cautiously optimistic they can do the same with Rosen, though I think he has further to go than those two, and will need a longer developmental path. Adding strength, physical maturity, and a bit more assertiveness to his game, and I think there is an NHL player there. This will be an important year of development for him, and I'm curious to see where it goes.

I don't think the Swedish coach has done him any favors in this tournament however, as his last two games his ice time was definitely limited. Following up from his previous 2 games where he scored in both, and had a beautiful steal and assist in the 2nd game, I don't believe the limited ice time was warranted at all. The Swedish team has played some uninspiring hockey in this tournament, and it seems like the Swedish coach values his older players and size, strength, physical maturity vs. the smaller, younger, skill players. Not only leaving Ostlund off this roster, but then coming out directly stating that Ostlund wasn't good enough to play on this team (which is highly questionable to begin with), seems to be further indicative of this.

Overall, I think Rosen has showed pretty well this tournament despite his coach, in the limited opportunities he's been given.

Good post and good point about him being a bit too passive offensively, letting the play come to him rather than asserting himself more offensively. That I hope will come with continued development and physical maturity.

It will be VERY interesting to be able to compare his play & his role at this WJC to the one in December, where he should have a much bigger role. If that's the case and he can seize that opportunity (as opposed to not much of a jump between the 2 tournaments), then I think that will bode really well.

Reactions: RefsIdeas

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad