Prospect Info: 2022 8OA, Marco Kasper

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

RED WINGS STOMP

Nov 28, 2022
I know it might be a long shot, but I like the idea of him being available, if a rash of injuries strikes the big club.

By no means am I taking a shot at the SHL, lots of respect for that league.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Kasper looks like he has way more offense than advertised.
He's bigger, faster, and creates more chances than I expected.... but offense?

How many goals has he scored? He can take 30 shots every game and not score if all he does is shove the puck towards the net. Watch his highlights, he never gets the puck off the ice, and NHL goaltenders are too good at protecting down low. Mazur appears to have the same issue, otherwise Marco would at least have a bunch of assists.

• Haha
Reactions: Pavels Dog

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

How many goals has he scored? He can take 30 shots every game and not score if all he does is shove the puck towards the net. Watch his highlights, he never gets the puck off the ice, and NHL goaltenders are too good at protecting down low. Mazur appears to have the same issue, otherwise Marco would at least have a bunch of assists.

Think Mazur is no problem. I've seen him sniping well, but most of his goals could be Holmström-styled whacking in front of the net or bounces from the ass. Just going there and fighting there.

Kasper... he really looks that, he tries too much by himself. Just start a bit more being a stupid junior kid, and maturing, more assisting, and he could become special. I think he decides a weak direct shot just too often, when royal road pass could create a easy-tap in for a linemate.

Think he should be matured with Patty Kane at some point, and then everything will change.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I know it might be a long shot, but I like the idea of him being available, if a rash of injuries strikes the big club.

By no means am I taking a shot at the SHL, lots of respect for that league.
I prefer not bouncing players around too much too early. Wings handled most of their prospects the right way since Yzerman stepped in, which is why I think the MBN treatment so far is a bit weird, it's more in line with how bad management on other clubs have handled their european prospects. Sending him to AHL when he keeps basically saying he wants to go to Skellefteå wouldn't be something I love.

How many goals has he scored?
It's not like he's been given PP looks or played with legit NHLers. Scoring is important but I'd wager Lalonde & Co. are more interested in the fact he's playing good defense, winning battles and faceoffs, and creating chances at 5v5 and 4v5. Lack of scoring is a bigger issue for a guy like Berggren who doesn't offer as much in other areas.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
It's not like he's been given PP looks or played with legit NHLers. Scoring is important but I'd wager Lalonde & Co. are more interested in the fact he's playing good defense, winning battles and faceoffs, and creating chances at 5v5 and 4v5. Lack of scoring is a bigger issue for a guy like Berggren who doesn't offer as much in other areas.
All of this plus the fact hes actually creating a bunch of chances while playing without PP or with legit NHLers. If hes creating the chances that he is, eventually theyre going to go in

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada

Pretty sure the other part of offense, assists, also matters. Just saying he’s creating a lot more than you would expect from a 3C energy guy. He’s creating like Larkin was when he entered the league, and they’re legit passes and plays, not just based off energy and hustle. His IQ is much better than I expected.

izlez

Carter Mazur Fan Club
Feb 28, 2012

What even are you suggesting here? That they don't know how to lift the puck off the ice and need to go back to mini mites?
Kasper looks like he has way more offense than advertised.
I just think you weren't paying enough attention to the right advertisements

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

Yeah, I'm kinda in the same boat as this. Might be the best reason to send him to GR for 40 to 50 games.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
Pretty sure the other part of offense, assists, also matters. Just saying he’s creating a lot more than you would expect from a 3C energy guy. He’s creating like Larkin was when he entered the league, and they’re legit passes and plays, not just based off energy and hustle. His IQ is much better than I expected.

His IQ is as good as expected for those that have been watching his game for a while now.

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
His IQ is as good as expected for those that have been watching his game for a while now.
Yeah I won't pretend that I watched him all the time. I'm very pleasantly surprsied. Based purely off of preseason, which is obviously not much, I think he can be a 2C for sure and has higher potential than that even.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
All of this plus the fact hes actually creating a bunch of chances while playing without PP or with legit NHLers. If hes creating the chances that he is, eventually theyre going to go in
How'd that work for Darren Helm? I remember everyone complaining when he was on the PP with Datsyuk. Remember, at one point in his career Babcock called him the best 3C in the league. Helm was actually pretty good at creating chances too, except he couldn't convert a breakaway to save his life.

What even are you suggesting here? That they don't know how to lift the puck off the ice and need to go back to mini mites?
Uhmm, GR would probably suit him better than Mites.

The point is, he's a top ten pick. You want to make sure you're maximizing his long term potential. Right now that means more PP time, and he's not gonna get it playing for the Wings. He's going to get at least twice (probably 3x) as many opportunities to shoot by playing in GR.

Guys, Can Kasper even raise the puck?
I know he can, but he hasn't yet at the NHL level. Watch the games or even the highlights. He's rushing to get the puck to the net and not picking his shot. Reminds me a lot of Helm, and I was a Helm fan from start to finish even when others were complaining about his last contract.

The point here is that he needs more time in GR. If he starts putting up points there, I'll join the bandwagon. I'll be cheering for him even if he does wind up being Helm 2.0, but I really want to see more out of him. Helm was a 5th round pick, so the expectations were much lower, but he did finish 16th in his draft class for scoring.

• Haha
Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Think Mazur is no problem. I've seen him sniping well, but most of his goals could be Holmström-styled whacking in front of the net or bounces from the ass. Just going there and fighting there.

Kasper... he really looks that, he tries too much by himself. Just start a bit more being a stupid junior kid, and maturing, more assisting, and he could become special. I think he decides a weak direct shot just too often, when royal road pass could create a easy-tap in for a linemate.

Think he should be matured with Patty Kane at some point, and then everything will change.

I have lower expectations for Mazur because he was picked lower. Draft position bias. If he carves out a career as a bottom 6 player, that's pretty good.

I'm impressed that he finally gained some bulk (he's 22 now). He looked good preseason. He might be a late bloomer, we'll see. I think he still needs a few pounds to be more effective.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
How'd that work for Darren Helm? I remember everyone complaining when he was on the PP with Datsyuk. Remember, at one point in his career Babcock called him the best 3C in the league. Helm was actually pretty good at creating chances too, except he couldn't convert a breakaway to save his life.
Kasper clearly has more talent with the puck in his pinky finger than Helm ever did. Hes had solid offensive seasons. A couple games in the preseason where hes dangerous all game but doesnt bury a puck doesnt mean we compare a top 10 pick with Helm just because its easy and convenient.

I would rather him get playing time with guys like Kane, Larkin and Raymond to learn some more of the offensive game than to see him in GR learning from guys like a Taro Hirose or something like that

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
Kasper's doubters are the ones who I want him to shut right up more than any of our prospects. Kid coming from a lesser hockey country in Austria, goes top 10, and still gets labeled a "middle 6 talent"

He works insanely hard and it's already showing now that he had a healthy offseason to train in the gym and on the ice

heyfolks

Apr 30, 2007

I just think you weren't paying enough attention to the right advertisements

I was enjoying this video but my excitement went to a whole new level when I saw Ed and Mo defending Kasper against Bunting.

Reactions: izlez

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Kasper clearly has more talent with the puck in his pinky finger than Helm ever did. Hes had solid offensive seasons. A couple games in the preseason where hes dangerous all game but doesnt bury a puck doesnt mean we compare a top 10 pick with Helm just because its easy and convenient.

I would rather him get playing time with guys like Kane, Larkin and Raymond to learn some more of the offensive game than to see him in GR learning from guys like a Taro Hirose or something like that
Go back and watch all of the games and tell me how much better he is at shooting the puck then.

As for Helm, he got called up for good when he scored 37 points in 55 games for GR. That's actually better than Marco's last season. It's pretty common for prospects to get called up after they show they can score in the AHL. Kasper needs to do a lot better than last season if he wants a midseason call up.

Anything I notice, the coaching staff has too. I would be shocked if Kasper gets a roster spot unless he lights up the lamp in the remaining games. I'm just waiting for all of the whining when Fish/Motte/Watson get a spot and Mazur/Kasper/Danielson don't.

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
Go back and watch all of the games and tell me how much better he is at shooting the puck then.

As for Helm, he got called up for good when he scored 37 points in 55 games for GR. That's actually better than Marco's last season. It's pretty common for prospects to get called up after they show they can score in the AHL. Kasper needs to do a lot better than last season if he wants a midseason call up.

Anything I notice, the coaching staff has too. I would be shocked if Kasper gets a roster spot unless he lights up the lamp in the remaining games. I'm just waiting for all of the whining when Fish/Motte/Watson get a spot and Mazur/Kasper/Danielson don't.
My guy, Kasper can absolutely wire the puck. He's not Pastrnak by any means, but his shot has come a long way even since he left the SHL. Volume shooter too as he showed in the AHL last season, so he's not just come Mattias Macceli type guy. He's taking chances all over the offensive zone to learn how to score goals and that's been an important part of his development curve since joining the Griffins

The Helm comparison is not apt because Helm's 37 points in 55 games season was his draft+4 season. Kasper is currently entering his draft+3 season as we speak and he's knocking hard on the NHL door. Neither are comparable players and Kasper is a markedly better offensive prospect

Last edited:

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
My guy, Kasper can absolutely wire the puck. He's not Pastrnak by any means, but his shot has come a long way even since he left the SHL. Volume shooter too as he showed in the AHL last season, so he's not just come Mattias Macceli type guy. He's taking chances all over the offensive zone to learn how to score goals and that's been an important part of his development curve since joining the Griffins

The Helm comparison is not apt because Helm's 37 points in 55 games season was his draft+4 season. Kasper is currently entering his draft+4 season as we speak and he's knocking hard on the NHL door. Neither are comparable players and Kasper is a markedly better offensive prospect

He's gotta show it at the NHL level, and so far he hasn't. That's what the coaches are looking for, and he gets to play with Tank and Kane tonight so no excuses.

And Helm could actually score at lower levels, he scored 41 goals in the WHL his D+1 season which is more than Nate. He had trouble at the NHL level where the game is faster. His hands never caught up to his feet. Maybe you guys just aren't old enough to remember when he broke into the league, but he was a playoff regular in his D+3 season, got sent down to work on offense, fans were hopeful that his offense would develop in the NHL then he blew out his back. I think there's a lot of recency bias with Helm and Big E here because of how they finished their careers after major injuries.

cvaicunas

Aug 25, 2021
He's gotta show it at the NHL level, and so far he hasn't. That's what the coaches are looking for, and he gets to play with Tank and Kane tonight so no excuses.

And Helm could actually score at lower levels, he scored 41 goals in the WHL his D+1 season which is more than Nate. He had trouble at the NHL level where the game is faster. His hands never caught up to his feet. Maybe you guys just aren't old enough to remember when he broke into the league, but he was a playoff regular in his D+3 season, got sent down to work on offense, fans were hopeful that his offense would develop in the NHL then he blew out his back. I think there's a lot of recency bias with Helm and Big E here because of how they finished their careers after major injuries.
I remember like it was yesterday watching Helm's speed during that playoff run

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

Everyone who watched hockey and didnt just watch boxscores knew Helm was scoring in junior because of his crazy speed. He was always considered a Grabner type guy, and not a real "scoring" prospect. Pretty sure I remember people on here comparing him to Maltby as in hes going to be good, but not a scorer when he hits the league. It also showed up in his assist numbers. Offensive NHL players make plays in junior because play is facilitated through them, that never happened with Helm.

Kasper has to show scoring at the NHL level and so far he hasnt? Thats because hes barely got the chance, and in his first healthy preseason he is showing some offensive ability to go along with a lot of other good things in his game. Hes got 1 point in 2 games playing with very meh linemates and has created the most chances on the team at even strength most likely.

Helm and Kasper are a dumb comparison. You want to see more scoring? Thats totally fine and I wont argue too much with people who want him sent down to score more. But to make comparisons between his game and Helms is just really lazy.

Do you think Kasper will be better offensively than Joe Veleno after watching this preseason?

Reactions: heyfolks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad