Prospect Info: F Isak Rosen (14th Overall, 2021), Assigned to Rochester 12/10

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Dex

Complementary
Sponsor
Dec 5, 2011
Under Deep Cover
f***ing reach of a pick……………..
For whatever reason, Rosen seems to be playing well again today. :huh: Good opportunity to for Adams to sell high on this clown and make up for the wasted pick.

Seriously, what I have seen and what I have read about his play and development since his arrival in North America tells me that this kid has a nice future ahead of him with Buffalo.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

Isak Rosen (F, Buffalo Sabres): Scored Sweden’s first goal of the tournament and didn’t slow down from there. The little pre-shot adjustment. Surprises goalies with his release point and picks his holes in the net so well (deadly accurate). Dangerous on the left flank on the PP with his wrister and his willingness to hit the seam when defenders fronted him. Playing with confidence and an attack-mentality. Really good job shaping shots around feet. Skating. Going to dirty areas.

Dex

Complementary
Sponsor
Dec 5, 2011
Under Deep Cover
The pick of Rosen was met with a ton of skepticism when it occurred - most had not heard of him and he was smallish among other factors. Perception of the pick was lowered based a multiple factors during his D+1 season. Coming to North America has made all the difference, and we're slowly getting to know him. I know I have liked what I have seen.

This tournament - summed up with the evaluation from above pasted here below as a list - is the latest chapter in our learning more about this player:
  • Dangerous on the left flank on the PP with his wrister and his willingness to hit the seam when defenders fronted him.
  • Playing with confidence and an attack-mentality.
  • Really good job shaping shots around feet.
  • Skating.
  • Going to dirty areas.
With the possible exception of speed, those bullet points reflects player qualities that are extremely desirable and qualities that we would not predicted he would demonstrate based on our limited exposure to him until this year.

Dare I say this was a good pick?

The Blunder Years

Nov 11, 2013
I think given what you are looking for in a mid 1st rounder in a weird 2021 draft, Rosen is good value. He definitely has a high ceiling given his skillful attributes.

Bendium

Oct 18, 2019
This jaw?
1673029073322.png

versus this jaw?

1673029147733.png

:P

• Haha
Reactions: Ehran

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Pleasantly surprised to discover I didn’t have any dumbass hot takes about this pick at the time. I must be growing.

I remember being kind of intrigued, but also pretty pissed we didn’t take a goalie. Actually, as much as I like Rosen, I still think passing on a goalie was probably wrong from an organizational depth perspective. But I don’t think there was another skater I would have preferred. Obviously in retrospect, Johnston would have been a prescient pick, but he wasn’t on my radar at all at the time of the draft.

Sounds like Olofsson tbh
He’s much more engaged at 5v5 than Olofsson was, and nowhere near as good a shot.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
Kinda reminds me of Alex Nylander. Nice skill set, not much of a motor. Some of the lazy plays that he makes are going to be really hard to get out of his system. The tough thing for a player like Rosen is that he NEEDS to be able to produce like a top 6 forward, otherwise he’s a liability.

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
Kinda reminds me of Alex Nylander. Nice skill set, not much of a motor. Some of the lazy plays that he makes are going to be really hard to get out of his system. The tough thing for a player like Rosen is that he NEEDS to be able to produce like a top 6 forward, otherwise he’s a liability.
Didn't like the pick at the time and still don't. It was a reach and was a pretty raw player, so many good players still on the board. That being said he is doing well in the AHL so far.

Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

Bendium

Oct 18, 2019
Hard to shoot when half your time will be spent on your arse. Dude is soooooooo small that he actually has negative physicality and a girls chin. He is supposedly 5'11" but he is very slight in his bone build so it could take a couple more years to put on enough weight to not get totally caved in the NHL. I hope I eat a monster bowl of crow, but I did not like this pick when it was made and it looks even worse to me now. My greatest hope for Rosen in that another team desperate for a high skill smurf prospect values him enough to get our 1st round value back out in a trade. I would trade him straight up right now for a 2023 1st and try again.

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
He reminds me of Olofsson, but faster.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad