Prospect Info: F Isak Rosen (14th Overall, 2021), Assigned to Rochester 12/10

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Rosen and/or Kisakov can play in the CHL if they get drafted in the import draft. To qualify, they must be 17-19 by the start of the season, AND a team must have an import spot open. Teams can only have two imports on the team, but can have the rights to 3 if one is an NHL 1st rounder when that CHL draft occurs.

Reactions: jmelm

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Rosen and/or Kisakov can play in the CHL if they get drafted in the import draft. To qualify, they must be 17-19 by the start of the season, AND a team must have an import spot open. Teams can only have two imports on the team, but can have the rights to 3 if one is an NHL 1st rounder when that CHL draft occurs.
Kisakov is not eligible for the CHL Import Draft, I believe.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
That is not a standard clause for a player in Rosen's situation, though. The standard has tended to be NHL or Europe at the end of training camp.

It seems pretty obvious that Buffalo and Rosen are not happy with how things went last season and they are working to get him a better situation next season.

I wouldn't be shocked if the CHL were pursued as an option. But the way this clause was written and the other moves the Sabres have made recently, like signing Kisakov who likely won't have a CHL option, it looks to me that the Sabres are looking to go the Quinn and Peterka route with Rosen and Kisakov and have them in Rochester for the entire 2022-23 season and let their ELCs slide.

Sure there are other options on the table. But, I am guessing that is the plan as of today.

Considering both Kisakov and Rosen's lack of mass, it seems like late-stage Regier to try to force 19-year olds into that position. The CHL should very much be on the table as an option for Rosen and not just a binary.

I don't know if it's official, but rumor was they weren't drafting anyone from Russia or Belarus this year either way.

It's official so he's playing where they place him. Placing him somewhere other than the AHL (like the say, Sweden) is also possible if they have a strong working arrangement with a team.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Considering both Kisakov and Rosen's lack of mass, it seems like late-stage Regier to try to force 19-year olds into that position. The CHL should very much be on the table as an option for Rosen and not just a binary.

We have a month to kick around the Rosen to the CHL idea, at a minimum.

If Rosen goes early, I think that might give the Rosen to CHL idea some hope.

If he's a late round lottery ticket pick, then not so much.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

The import draft isn't the same as a dispersal draft though. Teams regularly know if a player will or won't report which is how some teams manage to land high-end imports regularly *cough* London *cough*. Whether that reporting leverage is due to kickbacks to the player or not is one of those open secrets around the CHL too. So even if he gets selected, it doesn't matter so much where as just getting his rights onto a CHL team. Given how some teams already have their returning tandem of imports for next year (like London), there will be those who don't select. Player advocates/agents will be in communication with locations that their clients don't want to play in (or do as the case may be).

Reactions: jmelm

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada

If Rosen gets drafted in the import draft, that will be a strong clue that the Sabres may be actively pursuing this option, and likely have spoken to specific teams about Rosen's availability should they draft him. They won't want to waste a pick on a guy who has no chance of playing for them.

For Kisakov, it's obviously not an option, given the ban in this year's import draft -- but I don't think we should draw any conclusions that because Kisakov goes to Rochester that it necessarily indicates what's going to happen with Rosen.

Whatever the case, the fact we now control Rosen's development is what matters. I trust after Rosen's season last year, whichever situation the Sabres decide for him will be optimal for his development, whether that's the AHL, CHL or back to Sweden. The only thing that would concern me is if there is a mid-season transfer (like going from the AHL back to SWE because he's not ready for that league).

I'm sure given that he's the 14th overall pick, they'll do all their due dilligence and then some to gauge his readiness for the AHL before assigning him there or elsewhere, so my confidence level is pretty high right now. All he needs to do is stay healthy.

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
I will take Brent over Keith.

And I hope Isak has a better NHL career than his brother Josh in the NFL. That isn't that high a bar. Good thing we passed on his brother Josh in that draft.

Reactions: Dingo44

WhereAreTheCookies

Feb 16, 2022
Top Shelf
It's official so he's playing where they place him. Placing him somewhere other than the AHL (like the say, Sweden) is also possible if they have a strong working arrangement with a team.
Would Kisakov be eligible to play in the USHL? Not sure if they allow players on ELC's or not.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
I will take Brent over Keith.

And I hope Isak has a better NHL career than his brother Josh in the NFL. That isn't that high a bar. Good thing we passed on his brother Josh in that draft.

Wait.....Rosen's brother was in the NFL?

I'm trying to picture litle, skinny Isak and imagine him (or a family member resembling him) as an NFLer and it's not working. Seems like he'd get killed in the first day of practice before he even gets a single NFL game :laugh:

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012

Isak Rosen readying for 'big opportunity' with Sabres after tough year in Sweden

Lance Lysowski

"Rosen earned more ice time at the start of the 2021-22 season. His fitness tests were on par with his teammates – he was even the “most explosive” on the roster, Hellkvist said – and at first, worked at the right wall on the power play. Leksands was determined to win, not develop. The club signed a veteran who took Rosen’s spot and his ice time decreased."

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Me too, lol. But since we don't, let's at least hope for the best with Rosen ;)
I don't believe that I said that I don't hope that Rosen turns into a solid NHL winger.

He can turn out to be a useful player and the pick not being the best one they could have made in hindsight.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
I don't believe that I said that I don't hope that Rosen turns into a solid NHL winger.

He can turn out to be a useful player and the pick not being the best one they could have made in hindsight.

I never implied that you did say that. That's what the wink was for.

We finished with Johnson and starting with Rosen?:laugh:

Yup, looks that way lol. Must be the lack of any other news. Who else can other people shit on besides these 2 guys? :laugh:

Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad