Prospect Info: F Isak Rosen (14th Overall, 2021), Assigned to Rochester 12/10

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Again, this assumes that Drai turns out to be the same player in the dysfunction that has been Sabres development in that same time. I don't see it.

Yeah, the Oilers are a model organization. They have done very little with the best player in the game who was and will always be miles ahead of Eichel. I don't blame the Sabres for taking Reinhart, but GMs get paid big money to make big decisions and there is ZERO question this was the wrong one. Samson was the safe consensus pick.

Reactions: Fjordy

RhinoFan

May 28, 2016
Do we think this this being done for leverage with the SHL club as well? "Play me or I'm out" type situation?

Genny Screamer

Jul 11, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Is there any downside in signing with the Sabres from Rosen’s standpoint? I heard that SHL players make around $10k US per year on average. It’s all about development with these prospects so this signing may help to put him in the best environment.

Reactions: Dingo44

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Is there any downside in signing with the Sabres from Rosen’s standpoint? I heard that SHL players make around $10k US per year on average. It’s all about development with these prospects so this signing may help to put him in the best environment.

Takes up an oh-so-precious contract spot which shouldn't be a concern especially for one of our first rounders a year ago.

Reactions: jmelm

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013

That's about what they make per month.

Reactions: jmelm

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
I don't think money was a factor here. It's extremely common for CHL or European players sign ELCs even if they're not switching teams/leagues -- lot's of players gets signed within weeks of being drafted, or a year or more before they turn pro and come to the AHL or NHL.

The Sabres signed Rosen now for one reason only: to control his development and where he plays next year.

It's certainly not to do him any favours financially. And I'm sure he would make more playing in the SHL and many other European leagues than an ELC-level AHL salary.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I don't think money was a factor here. It's extremely common for CHL or European players sign ELCs even if they're not switching teams/leagues -- lot's of players gets signed within weeks of being drafted, or a year or more before they turn pro and come to the AHL or NHL.

The Sabres signed Rosen now for one reason only: to control his development and where he plays next year.

It's certainly not to do him any favours financially. And I'm sure he would make more playing in the SHL and many other European leagues than an ELC-level AHL salary.

It ties back to Fortin talking about how they viewed the season as a wasted year for Rosen in his interview just a month ago. I'm more hopeful now with Sabres control and the ability to put him into a place where he'll see game reps instead of being stapled to the end of the bench.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada

So basically this just confirms: the Sabres don't yet have a firm plan in place for Rosen (unless they do and aren't telling anyone), and both of the SWE and AHL options remain a possibility.

Now, I'm just waiting to see if he's selected in the CHL import draft and if that becomes a third option for the Sabres to consider.

Reactions: old kummelweck

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
So basically this just confirms: the Sabres don't yet have a firm plan in place for Rosen (unless they do and aren't telling anyone), and both of the SWE and AHL options remain a possibility.

Now, I'm just waiting to see if he's selected in the CHL import draft and if that becomes a third option for the Sabres to consider.
I think the Sabres plan is that Rosen starts the season in Rochester and they can reconsider a return to Sweden in December.

RhinoFan

May 28, 2016
Times are tough. Maybe his family needs the money. He'll make at least $172,500 for the next three years in signing bonus ($92,500) plus minor league salary ($80,000)
Getting these kids into better financial situations quickly can be a good thing for sure. That's enough to raise a family, so even if Mom/Dad/Sibs are struggling, that'll stretch.

Initially I asked bc I'd heard several times he wasn't ready for the AHL. Unless that has changed, I wondered why we were seemingly signing him a year early. Obviously it's good to get 1st rounders locked up *Johnson* but Rosen was so lackluster I was just surprised by it.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
I think the Sabres plan is that Rosen starts the season in Rochester and they can reconsider a return to Sweden in December.

I really doubt that is the case.

Remember, the European leagues start and finish earlier, and I don’t like the idea of sending Rosen back mid way through the season. That would be an unnecessary complication and would just be indicative of Rosen’s inability to translate to the AHL if that were to happen.

If the Sabres have any doubt whatsoever that Rosen is ready for the AHL, then he either plays in the CHL (if selected in their import draft and depending on which team he plays for) or they loan him back to Sweden for one more year. No switching leagues mid way through. If he doesn’t play in Rochester this season, he can always get a taste of it at the end when his CHL/SWE season is done if the Amerks are still playing.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel

The bolded is important. There's almost no incentive for an NHL team to tell anyone their plans publicly. They've likely told Rosen's agent and Rosen. That's really the only people who really need to know.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I really doubt that is the case.

Remember, the European leagues start and finish earlier, and I don’t like the idea of sending Rosen back mid way through the season. That would be an unnecessary complication and would just be indicative of Rosen’s inability to translate to the AHL if that were to happen.

If the Sabres have any doubt whatsoever that Rosen is ready for the AHL, then he either plays in the CHL (if selected in their import draft and depending on which team he plays for) or they loan him back to Sweden for one more year. No switching leagues mid way through. If he doesn’t play in Rochester this season, he can always get a taste of it at the end when his CHL/SWE season is done if the Amerks are still playing.
I am going off of what Lance Lysowski reported:

The re-assignment clause is based on playing time. And it triggers around the holiday break in December. Sure, the Sabres could make the decision sooner, but it sure seems like the Sabres may be planning on Kisakov and Rosen replacing Quinn & Peterka with the Amerks.

Reactions: old kummelweck

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
The bolded is important. There's almost no incentive for an NHL team to tell anyone their plans publicly. They've likely told Rosen's agent and Rosen. That's really the only people who really need to know.

Good point Jaeger Bomb. I think it's pretty clear, that he needs more ice time, and conditioning. So getting him in line with that, and working on his strength will be key. Also his away from the puck play needs a lot of fine tuning. Similar to Kisakov, get more games under his belt before he even comes to NA to play in the AHL.

Reactions: Der Jaeger

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
I am going off of what Lance Lysowski reported:

The re-assignment clause is based on playing time. And it triggers around the holiday break in December. Sure, the Sabres could make the decision sooner, but it sure seems like the Sabres may be planning on Kisakov and Rosen replacing Quinn & Peterka with the Amerks.

For sure, that's possible and a standard clause in those contracts. All I'm saying is that because it's certainly suboptimal to send a player back to another league mid-season, that the Sabres will make a VERY careful educated decision on where he's most likely to flourish next season so switching leagues could be avoided if possible.

I think the 2 key factors that will influence their decision will be Rosen's performance at the re-scheduled World Juniors, and then how developed they think he is physically when he gets to development camp. If they have serious doubts about him being physically ready to play in the AHL this year, I think they'll look to send him back to SWE right away so they can avoid that mid-season transfer. Unless....

....Unless he's eligible to play in the CHL and gets drafted in the import draft by a team that the Sabres feel is a strong team in terms of developing prospects. I know this option wasn't mentioned in that article or anywhere else, but it's something that @Chainshot and I have been talking about since Rosen signed and both feel like could be the ideal option for him if he's not physically ready to play in the AHL, and take the same path that fellow 2021 Swedish draftees Olausson (COL) and Lysell (BOS) took by going to the OHL and WHL, respectively.

Until I hear the Sabres or read a reporter say that is not an option they're considering, or if he's not selected in the upcoming CHL import draft on July 1, I will assume it's still one of the 3 possibilities the Sabres are considering.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
For sure, that's possible and a standard clause in those contracts. All I'm saying is that because it's certainly suboptimal to send a player back to another league mid-season, that the Sabres will make a VERY careful educated decision on where he's most likely to flourish next season so switching leagues could be avoided if possible.

I think the 2 key factors that will influence their decision will be Rosen's performance at the re-scheduled World Juniors, and then how developed they think he is physically when he gets to development camp. If they have serious doubts about him being physically ready to play in the AHL this year, I think they'll look to send him back to SWE right away so they can avoid that mid-season transfer. Unless....

....Unless he's eligible to play in the CHL and gets drafted in the import draft by a team that the Sabres feel is a strong team in terms of developing prospects. I know this option wasn't mentioned in that article or anywhere else, but it's something that @Chainshot and I have been talking about since Rosen signed and both feel like could be the ideal option for him if he's not physically ready to play in the AHL, and take the same path that fellow 2021 Swedish draftees Olausson (COL) and Lysell (BOS) took by going to the OHL and WHL, respectively.

Until I hear the Sabres or read a reporter say that is not an option they're considering, or if he's not selected in the upcoming CHL import draft on July 1, I will assume it's still one of the 3 possibilities the Sabres are considering.
That is not a standard clause for a player in Rosen's situation, though. The standard has tended to be NHL or Europe at the end of training camp.

It seems pretty obvious that Buffalo and Rosen are not happy with how things went last season and they are working to get him a better situation next season.

I wouldn't be shocked if the CHL were pursued as an option. But the way this clause was written and the other moves the Sabres have made recently, like signing Kisakov who likely won't have a CHL option, it looks to me that the Sabres are looking to go the Quinn and Peterka route with Rosen and Kisakov and have them in Rochester for the entire 2022-23 season and let their ELCs slide.

Sure there are other options on the table. But, I am guessing that is the plan as of today.

Reactions: Jacob582

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
If Rosen doesn't play in the CHL, then Adams really has a ton of faith in his player development and AHL coaching staff.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad