F Charlie Stramel - Michigan State University, NCAA (2023, 21st, MIN)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
There are a million first round picks who didn't produce big stats in one year or another, and turned into good players. Even more when you extend it to non first round picks. Extend it to players who got screwed over with usage and there's that many more. Will that be Stramel? TBD, but way too many have given up on him unnecessarily.

This is a lost season, but you can't really hold it against a guy too much when he doesn't get the chance to produce. No one can produce big totals with the TOI and situations he plays. He's produced in the past. Wisconsin has been a nightmare. He needs to get out, and go elsewhere.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
There are a million first round picks who didn't produce big stats in one year or another, and turned into good players. Even more when you extend it to non first round picks. Extend it to players who got screwed over with usage and there's that many more. Will that be Stramel? TBD, but way too many have given up on him unnecessarily.

This is a lost season, but you can't really hold it against a guy too much when he doesn't get the chance to produce. No one can produce big totals with the TOI and situations he plays. He's produced in the past. Wisconsin has been a nightmare. He needs to get out, and go elsewhere.
Not regularly.

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Not regularly.
Prior to getting to Wisconsin he produced regularly.

For USAH at YOG, WJC18, WJC20 he had 6+9=15 points in 23 games. On all those teams he was also the youngest or like the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th youngest. Majority of players were at least a draft older, if not years older.

At the NTDP his U17 year, he was 12th on the team in PPG (behind Nazar, Howard, Lucius, Kaplan, Gauthier, Casey, McGroarty, Chesley, Cooley, Fleming, Snuggerud). Notably ahead of Hutson and Brzustewicz. Had .7PPG, which is far from bad for a U17 in their U17 year at the NTDP. .7PPG as a U17 would've been 8th on the current team, 7th on last year's team, 5th on the team the year before. And Snuggerud was .01 better, Fleming .07 better, Casey .08 better, so really we're splitting hairs with some of this. Every player ahead of him was also a draft ahead of him.

At the NTDP his U18 year, he was 8th on the team in PPG (behind 6 first round picks and Hutson). Was ahead of players like Lucius, Kaplan, Spicer Casey, Chesley, Brzustewicz. All 7 of those ahead of him were a draft ahead, and none of them returned midseason from a longterm injury.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Perhaps one might consider it an indictment of Stramel’s IQ that he chose and remained with Wisconsin, if that’s the case…

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
This is like Podkolzin all over again. He shows very little offense coming up as a prospect, but he has the intangibles everyone loves, so they fall in love with him and project the offense beyond what he's capable of.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Prior to getting to Wisconsin he produced regularly.

For USAH at YOG, WJC18, WJC20 he had 6+9=15 points in 23 games. On all those teams he was also the youngest or like the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th youngest. Majority of players were at least a draft older, if not years older.

At the NTDP his U17 year, he was 12th on the team in PPG (behind Nazar, Howard, Lucius, Kaplan, Gauthier, Casey, McGroarty, Chesley, Cooley, Fleming, Snuggerud). Notably ahead of Hutson and Brzustewicz. Had .7PPG, which is far from bad for a U17 in their U17 year at the NTDP. .7PPG as a U17 would've been 8th on the current team, 7th on last year's team, 5th on the team the year before. And Snuggerud was .01 better, Fleming .07 better, Casey .08 better, so really we're splitting hairs with some of this. Every player ahead of him was also a draft ahead of him.

At the NTDP his U18 year, he was 8th on the team in PPG (behind 6 first round picks and Hutson). Was ahead of players like Lucius, Kaplan, Spicer Casey, Chesley, Brzustewicz. All 7 of those ahead of him were a draft ahead, and none of them returned midseason from a longterm injury.
That’s a lot faith you’re into a decent 26 game stretch.

If Stramel got screwed by anything, it was aging out of the NTDP too early.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Yeah, on the PP, which you said he never played on.

It was an all-world drop pass, that’s for sure.
I think I've been pretty consistent throughout this season in saying that he gets very little PP time, and sometimes none. And you can correct me if that's wrong. I don't think it is.

I'm glad he was on the PP this game (believe second unit). Doesn't really change that he doesn't get ideal situations for a first round pick.

• Haha
Reactions: Coaches Coroner

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
are there examples of 1st round ncaa picks with low scoring that turned out to be decent scorers at the nhl level? Genuinely curious.

You're welcome in advance for really not directly answering the question, but Rickard Rakell is an example from outside the NCAA. His draft day scouting report had him as more of a responsible, headsy two way center, and he really didn't set the OHL on fire offensively with 106 points in 100 games across his D+1 and D+2 seasons. At some point early in his NHL career, he started to show this late blooming offensive slippery side, eventually moving from center to wing in order to focus more on offense. Complete shift from how he was perceived at age 18/19. Never eclipsed 30 goals in the OHL but did so twice in the NHL.

Reactions: Static

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Not all players can make the adjustment to college that well. You go from being able to physically overpower everyone to facing older, more mature and stronger players.
That’s definitely part of it, but Stramel won’t even engage or attempt to battle. He’s playing like Vanek without Vanek skills. I think his biggest problem right now is between the ears.

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
Saw him this weekend.
I think he still has the tools to be an NHLer in some capacity (big body 3rd-4th liner) but it will be predicated on a high-level of aggressiveness, which he isn't showing at the moment.
I'm sure his confidence is in the toilet. The kid needs a change of scenery. Like yesterday.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Saw him this weekend.
I think he still has the tools to be an NHLer in some capacity (big body 3rd-4th liner) but it will be predicated on a high-level of aggressiveness, which he isn't showing at the moment.
I'm sure his confidence is in the toilet. The kid needs a change of scenery. Like yesterday.
Yeah I think he can still carve out a career, but it will probably be more in the mold of a better skating Freddy Gauthier (who also went 21st overall).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad