F Charlie Stramel - Michigan State University, NCAA (2023, 21st, MIN)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
2022-23: 33 GP, 12 PTS
2023-24 (so far): 33 GP, 8 PTS
I seriously don’t see why you update this thread after like every two games.

It’s been discussed ad nauseam that he’s not having a good season and barely plays. Not like his numbers are getting better from here on out the rest of the season. The coach has set the lineup. It is what it is. Onto next season.

Do you think you are going to convince people even more that he’s a bust like 8 months after being drafted each game he goes 11 minutes without a goal?

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio

It’s been discussed ad nauseam that he’s not having a good season and barely plays. Not like his numbers are getting better from here on out the rest of the season. The coach has set the lineup. It is what it is. Onto next season.

Do you think you are going to convince people even more that he’s a bust like 8 months after being drafted each game he goes 11 minutes without a goal?
I update threads to spur discussion on topics/players I find interesting. If you watched his games against Ohio State, he was a nonfactor for most of them. He's nowhere close to the same player that we even saw at the NTDP.

josra33

Aug 11, 2008

Isn’t the whole point to discuss prospects and their development? He just got knocked out of the conference playoffs and probably only has the QF of the Frozen Four left this season. I’d say that’s pretty significant discussion.

If only there was a highly skilled player falling down the draft boards when the Wild got to make their pick…
Or a player who was a higher scoring college player with a much higher upside? Someone like a Brindley for example.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Isn’t the whole point to discuss prospects and their development? He just got knocked out of the conference playoffs and probably only has the QF of the Frozen Four left this season. I’d say that’s pretty significant discussion.

Or a player who was a higher scoring college player with a much higher upside? Someone like a Brindley for example.
Brindley is looking like it's going to hurt.

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin

I think the bigger issue (bust wise) is Stramel not diversifying his game,

So he's only getting 11 minutes? Fine. Be a forechecking monster in those 11 minutes. Throw your body around. Be a shit-disturber. Do the little things. Do something.
He has the physical tools to be useful, yet he's not doing much of anything; at least on a consistent basis this year.

It's like he came to UW expecting to be a big-body scorer and when that didn't come to fruition he totally shut down.

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Weren’t Wild fans uneasy about picking Yurov at 24 after he barely played last year?

They were questioning if the reason he wasn’t playing much was that he wasn’t good.

Fast forward a year, they love Yurov now that he’s been allowed to show what he can do. How about some patience?

person5000

Oct 21, 2022
Weren’t Wild fans uneasy about picking Yurov at 24 after he barely played last year?

They were questioning if the reason he wasn’t playing much was that he wasn’t good.

Fast forward a year, they love Yurov now that he’s been allowed to show what he can do. How about some patience?
This situation is not the same as a kid not playing in the KHL. Noone ever liked Stramel except you. :)

MuckOG

May 18, 2012

Patience or not, Stramel's D+1 year was not a productive one by any measure. We're not yet at DEFCON1, but concern is warranted.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
No one except me other than the many people that did.

Terrific logic, and you didn’t explain how it’s different. Waste of words.
It's different because the KHL is a professional league that has little reason to prioritize the development of youngsters that leave for the NHL in a couple years anywyays, and Yurov played for a team last season with an average age of 27.33. When he was sent to play against players his own age, he did very well and produced.

Stramel plays in a college league consisting amateur players with an average of 21.35. Most of his buddies from the USNDTP have found success playing in similar situations, hence why they went out and got a gold medal at the world juniors while Stramel didn't make the cut despite being a returning player.

Of course it's different.

LemonSauceD

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
I mean looking at the Wild’s prospect pool it just seems like this was a botched pick. It happens, you’re not gonna hit on every player. Heidt certainly makes up for it.

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

Not really. Yurov was a top ranked talent that fell due to world events. Also, the KHL is notorious for keeping young players on the bench.

Stramel's starting point was a being a reach of a pick.

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
I mean looking at the Wild’s prospect pool it just seems like this was a botched pick. It happens, you’re not gonna hit on every player. Heidt certainly makes up for it.
That comment seems a bit backwards, the reason he was picked there is because the Wild lacked size and centers in the system. I don’t think it’s botched, none of the centers picked after him look like sure things to me at all. The Wild have plenty of undersized but talented players on the roster and in the pool, size and position was the stated goal for that pick before draft day.

I also think it is far too early to give up on him, you can’t take his physical tools and the potential they bring away, it’s just a matter of development now and that is a process that can be all over the board.

Going to WI was likely a mistake, I made that same mistake too, I think he needs a professional environment to turn things around. He does do things that will be effective at higher levels and has demonstrated to me that he does understand the game well, but he is a terrible fit on his team and his own execution has been too inconsistent for him to be effective.

It’s been a poor year for him, but that doesn’t necessarily have to continue to be the case, there is still enough underlying ability to find a useful player here, just need the right situation to bring it out IMO.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Not really. Yurov was a top ranked talent that fell due to world events. Also, the KHL is notorious for keeping young players on the bench.

Stramel's starting point was a being a reach of a pick.
Actually, Stramel was talked about as a top 10 pick going into his draft year. His lack of success at Wisconsin caused him to drop.

person5000

Oct 21, 2022
No one except me other than the many people that did.

Terrific logic, and you didn’t explain how it’s different. Waste of words.
So the hopes at this point is he is a low scoring third line center? He can't even get proper minutes in college hockey. Do I need more words to explain how likely it is that he peaked 2 years ago and has a very low chance of nhl success?

Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
So the hopes at this point is he is a low scoring third line center? He can't even get proper minutes in college hockey. Do I need more words to explain how likely it is that he peaked 2 years ago and has a very low chance of nhl success?
A low scoring third line center that can drive the net and win board battles is exactly what the Wild pipeline would need, even just a right handed winger version would be good. Not saying he becomes that but it is the obvious desire. The Wild have a very small forward corps currently, with Kap, Rossi, Zuccarello, Khusnutdinov, Gaudreau all getting prominent time, there is a need for players capable of winning physical battles and getting to the net.

JEE has demonstrated you don’t need the most individual skill to succeed in the Wild center system, you need to be able to skate hard at all times and not be afraid of the rough stuff at the net, the playmaking wingers can handle the cutesy stuff.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
The hope is that you don’t write off a player after one year where they’ve barely gotten any ice time. It’s a lot easier to know what you have when a player is given responsibility and can either sink or swim. The majority of high draft picks are playing junior where they are guaranteed to be the guy or are pretty much guaranteed this type of spot with their team. Occasionally you’ll get a situation where that doesn’t happen and it creates questions. However, the reflex shouldn’t be the player can’t play. That often isn’t the case.

And with this team they actually have a history of recent first round picks that had slow starts between Boldy, Rossi, Ohgren, Yurov. Literally all of the ones since 2019 other than Wallstedt I believe.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad