F Andrew Cristall - Kelowna Rockets, WHL (2023, 40th, WSH)

FourQuarters

Mar 31, 2022
I agree! It is clear that Cristall leaves something to be desired defensively. But on Hlinka his defensive game was passable. The fact that Kelowna needs him so much offensively is perhaps the reason why there is this indifference. I believe that if the team was better and he could worry less about scoring, we wouldn't criticize his defensive play and offensive waste so much (which I believe is more the result of him wanting to do too much since he is practically the only one who does something).
Quote from Kelowna head coach.
“We don’t want three guys below the face-off dots”, Mallette explained. “We want a player in that soft ice, so when you turn a puck over, you can track a puck back and give the defense the confidence to stand up and be a little more aggressive."
I think partly it's coach's design. But Cristall did need to be more consistent and effective. I have the same sense.

McMozesmadness

5-14-6-1
Feb 17, 2013
Edmonton, AB
He's in the 5-7 range on my list right now

Just my opinion, but there's no way you can convince me Yager is a better prospect

With 4P tonight he sits at 43P. 11 back of Bedard in the WHL scoring race. Cristall has played 4 less games

Reactions: Sagikev and JotAlan

FourQuarters

Mar 31, 2022
I noticed coach didn't overuse him tonight, he didn't have too many long shifts or double shifts, but played a lot PP. Looks like boy wait this game for a long time, he's great buddy with bedard.

Last edited:
Reactions: JotAlan and Bubbles

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
He's in the 5-7 range on my list right now

Just my opinion, but there's no way you can convince me Yager is a better prospect

With 4P tonight he sits at 43P. 11 back of Bedard in the WHL scoring race. Cristall has played 4 less games

Yager is a better prospect because he has high end tools (such as his shot), skating and will to make a difference. It's a lot easier to project Yager into a top 6 role than it is for Cristall.

FourQuarters

Mar 31, 2022
Yager is a better prospect because he has high end tools (such as his shot), skating and will to make a difference. It's a lot easier to project Yager into a top 6 role than it is for Cristall.
I may agree the part of shot and skating, but you can't deny cristall's will to make a difference, his impact in Rockets is tremendous, Rockets have scored 80goals this season, and cristall had 43points, make sense? He's such a clutch player, when you need a goal to cut the trail, he will stand out. You can't find a game that Cristall was quiet but rockets won.

Reactions: JotAlan

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I may agree the part of shot and skating, but you can't deny cristall's will to make a difference, his impact in Rockets is tremendous, Rockets have scored 80goals this season, and cristall had 43points, make sense? He's such a clutch player, when you need a goal to cut the trail, he will stand out. You can't find a game that Cristall was quiet but rockets won.

Didn't mean to sound like I was saying Cristall doesn't have a will to make a difference, I was just talking about Yager as a whole package.. he has high end tools, including a high end shot, with really good skating and a will to make a difference everywhere on the ice.

Cristall has skills and a want to make a difference, Yager is just more easily projectable right now with a very high upside. So it makes sense Yager has been rated ahead and should continue to be rated ahead unless Cristall begins skating at a high level.

JotAlan

Apr 21, 2020
Didn't mean to sound like I was saying Cristall doesn't have a will to make a difference, I was just talking about Yager as a whole package.. he has high end tools, including a high end shot, with really good skating and a will to make a difference everywhere on the ice.

Cristall has skills and a want to make a difference, Yager is just more easily projectable right now with a very high upside. So it makes sense Yager has been rated ahead and should continue to be rated ahead unless Cristall begins skating at a high level.
If Cristall skates at a high level he has to be undeniably top 5. But even without skating there's no way he can rank him outside the top 10. It's not like Benson is 6'0 and he's letting Benson down right now.
I agree that Yager's tools and skating give him a very high ceiling. But from what Cristal has done so far I would put them much closer to what I have seen.
For me, at this point Cristall is a borderline top 10. I rate it at 7 now. With Benson at 5, Yager at 6.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
If Cristall skates at a high level he has to be undeniably top 5. But even without skating there's no way he can rank him outside the top 10. It's not like Benson is 6'0 and he's letting Benson down right now.
I agree that Yager's tools and skating give him a very high ceiling. But from what Cristal has done so far I would put them much closer to what I have seen.
For me, at this point Cristall is a borderline top 10. I rate it at 7 now. With Benson at 5, Yager at 6.

He certainly deserves more love than guys like Stramel or Ritchie right now.

I'm not ready to buy Cristall in the top 10 but he's top 15, for sure.

2014nyr

Jun 14, 2014
this is my guy. saw the hlinka tournament this summer, never watched before this year but happened to stumble into a couple canada games and honestly thought he was the most talented kid i saw. he didn't get to play much though and i couldn't figure it out - the broadcasts never had much to say about him either. i didn't know anything about anyone going in so was sort of a blind test. didn't know if there was something i was missing or if he was as legit as i thought. cool seeing him climbing

Simarino

Oct 21, 2009
Is Matthew Savoie from last year draft a good comparable for Cristall? Is he a better prospect than Savoie was last year?

JotAlan

Apr 21, 2020
Is Matthew Savoie from last year draft a good comparable for Cristall? Is he a better prospect than Savoie was last year?
In my opinion, no. Completely different players. Cristall is much better offensively at this point and Savoie much better defensively.

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
I did not know that Andrew and Connor are best friends.

Top hockey prospects, best friends Bedard and Cristall set to battle it out in Kelowna - Kelowna Capital News

31147662_web1_221201-KCN-bedard-comes-to-town_1-1024x683.jpg

vildurson

Jun 2, 2021
Somehow it feels like I am probably only one in this forum who is not that high on Cristall. Guy has not been that good on games I watched. I watched his game against Moose Jaw, Chiefs and Tri-City Americans.

He just feels kinda soft and guy that does not like heavy pressure / physicality. Easy to knock off from puck. He can make some decent plays but half of them seemed to end up as turnovers for opponents. He also seemed to lose out of the picture and be nowhere seen when going got tougher and not everything were going his way.

He is a guy where you bet heavily on his upside and his playmaking abilities but so far, I am not that impressed.

I know I probably picked one of his teams weaker games overall anyways but I will have more looks at his game to see his good side more.

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
Looked good today. 1 assist tonight so far with 10m left in the game but has been creating chances left right and center. Clearly has great offensive vision and playmaking and his IQ looks good. He actually had a pretty decent night physically and finished a bunch of his checks.

FourQuarters

Mar 31, 2022
Haven't watched the replay, but love this effort, he was supposed to be the one leading this team when our best player can't play, and he did it well this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad