Contract Termination: Evander Kane

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
Cap hit will follow the terms of any settlement. I understand his contract was slightly front loaded by $2 million. I believe that will have to be addressed but I am not a cap expert so I will let others post about that.

We will have to wait and see if any information about the grounds for the contract termination comes out.

TheWayToRefJose

Oct 30, 2017
You have a point on the buyout option depressing the value of assets that would have gone the other way, but your implication that the team could have reasonably assumed that there would have been an opportunity like this to terminate his contract and ought to have made decisions on this basis doesn't make sense, and I think you probably realize this and are pretending you don't in order to stunt on people who said things that bothered you.
Obviously it wasn’t something that was guaranteed to happen, but based off his history, it had to have been something they were aware of as a possibility.

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
stone-cold-steve-austin-beer-bash.gif

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
That’s not how a termination works. It’s not a buyout. Kane gets zero real dollars from SJ going forward and his entire cap hit is gone.
SJ is just saying they aren't going to honor the contract and not pay him. That doesn't mean what they are doing is legal. It is most likely not.

Reactions: Kurtz

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
Obviously it wasn’t something that was guaranteed to happen, but based off his history, it had to have been something they were aware of as a possibility.
Okay, but that isn't really what you were implying in the first place, which was that people who believed San Jose would have to retain and throw in assets to move his contract ought to have been aware something like this would happen, not that it could.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Evander Kane is the Antonio Brown of the NHL. That being said if he can bring a SC to Toronto then happy to have him on a one year deal.

cc

Feb 28, 2002

so instead of quarantining himself for the mandatory 5 days in the US after testing postive, he decided to travel across the border to Vancouver. Yup. not smart at all. I'm still not certain that this represent s a material breach of contract but I guess we'll see what arbitration determines

Reactions: klozge

TMLeafer

Rest in Peace Johnny Bower
Mar 23, 2008
Hockey Mecca, ON
Wasted talent :(

Boy does SJ luck out if the PA's appeal fails. I wonder if they were nitpicking for anything at all to jump on the opportunity to do this.

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York

I wonder if the issue is that he travelled to Vancouver while positive—which means he was then placed in Canadian quarantine for the required 10 days, which even if he had recovered from Covid would then have prevented him from playing in AHL games?

Maurice of Orange

13:21 🏒🏒
Feb 5, 2016
There's no more touchdowns,
No Serbians, only Czechs,
There's no more wristshots,
And nobody's getting checks.
The card drops deep as does my arm.

I never Tolerate, 'cause to Tolerate is the Kane of firearm.
Beyond the walls of leaves, life is defined.

I think of terminal when I'm in a San Jose state of mind.

Hope Kane got some charm.
My firearm don't like no dirty harm.
Run up to the disarm and get the AHL farm.
In a San Jose state of mind.

What more could you ask for? The careless vax card?
You complain about contract.
I gotta like it though - somebody still speaks for the disregard.
Am I'm rappin' to the hard,
And I'm gonna move your needle.
Wasteful, reckless, rude, like a Covid case
Boy, I tell you, I thought you were a fake.
I can't take the contract, can't take the vax.
I woulda tried to fail I guess Kane got no tax.

I'm rappin' to the card,
And I'm gonna move you hard.
Yea, yaz, in a San Jose state of mind.

When I was young my Kane had a regard.
waz kicked out without no guard.
I never thought I'd see that canard.
Ain't a soul alive that could take Kane's disregard.
An inconsiderate health is quite the wealth.
Thinking of terminal, in a San Jose State of Mind....

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
that was a settlement not a full blown termination

In terms of a griveance, I imagine that Kane gets back a good chunk of the money he will lose due to the contract termination, but the Sharks won't be on the hook for any of his cap. I think something similar happened with Simon Despres and Mike Richards.

People don’t seem to know the details about Richards.

The Kings terminated Richards' contract over a "material breach" and the NHLPA filed a grievance.

That would have sent it to arbitration, which may or may not have upheld the termination. So both the Kings and Richards hedged their bets and reportedly settled on ~60% of what he was owed (he had 5 years/22m left) to avoid the arbitration process.

The Kings got a 10.5m cap hit over 17 years for the settlement cost ("termination fee" on Cap Friendly) plus a separate 5 year/1.3m "recapture penalty".

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
I hate how people perpetuate propaganda like this. The issues with Kane is that he submitted a fake vaccination certificate, along with all his personal issues with his wife and child that have been made public. Almost zero chance SJ gets out of the contract, even if they do, they still owe him the money. Also you don't have to be vaccinated to play in the NHL. Tyler Bertuzzi is not vaccinated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad