Contract Termination: Evander Kane

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
Welcome to Vancouver (at league minimum).
He's from East Van so maybe close to home is best for him.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
NHLPA i think may file a grievance.

I wonder what the BK Trustee will have to say as well.

I'm not saying Sharks were/are not fully justified, but I can't see the PA walking away without a fight

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I mean, he just focused on playing hockey that would be a great addition.

If he was capable of just focusing on playing hockey, he wouldn't be in the situation he is in right now :laugh:

Welcome to Vancouver (at league minimum).
He's from East Van so maybe close to home is best for him.

That sounds like a great idea, a team that is ramping it up now and looks like they're hitting their stride adding the ticking time bomb that is Kane :laugh:

TheWayToRefJose

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, those people sure were dumb for having a reasonable and widely held opinion and failing to predict this would happen.
No. It was always a horrible take and explained multiple times there was other ways, but no one wanted to listen.

There was nothing reasonable about asking to retain 50% and trade a premium asset or take back a bad contract when the cap savings versus a buyout weren’t all that different, much less waiting for him mess up again and getting out of the contract for free.

Reactions: Groo

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
That seems awfully convenient for San Jose’s cap situation

They should have to eat the cap hit for the next 3 years even if they don’t have to pay Kane the money.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
People are going to complain the Sharks are getting an unfair advantage by essentially washing their hands of a cancer but I think it's completely justified.

Dude didn't just break team policy/protocol, he brazenly broke the rules the NHL set out. You go against the league and you could be gotten rid of in an instant. And then he decided to f*** around in the AHL on top of that. Absolute buffoon

Now the real question is who takes a chance? Douchebaggery aside Kane is still a damn good player and someone with take the risk given the talent to cost ratio
I agree. Sharks are not trying the typical get rid of a big contract for a player that no longer “has it”. I think all agree that Kane would help many teams and actually be a reasonable value player wise for his current (no void, I’m guess) contract. He’s just a personal dumpster fire. League should support Sharks but also make him ineligible for another team to pick him and his baggage up for cheap.

That said, that last part is just an opinion. I fully admit that I have zero idea about the legality of League doing that.

Amazinmets73

Dec 1, 2015
So... Is this ironclad? Does a team need approval from the NHL or any other governing body before moving forward with a termination?

Reactions: Got One Cup

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
No. It was always a horrible take and explained multiple times there was other ways, but no one wanted to listen.

There was nothing reasonable about asking to retain 50% and trade a premium asset or take back a bad contract when the cap savings versus a buyout weren’t all that different, much less waiting for him mess up again and getting out of the contract for free.

They're not going to get out of the contract for free. They're still going to owe Kane a ton of money, they just won't have his cap hit on the books.

ratbid

Feb 18, 2012
If this gets him out from under his creditors it might be a really shrewd move. I believe his debt is directly tied to his contract. Which would mean he couldn't forego the contract even if he wanted to. Having it terminated for breach might mean that his creditors have to again pursue legal actions to recover any debt and may not be successful, particularly since the legalities around COVID and contract terminations are going to take ages to play out. He could say his contract was terminated for unfair reasons and hold this up in courts for years. If he gets out of his debt goes to Russia (or even another NHL team) and gets a contract at even 50% of his pay he comes out ahead. He's already despised so I don't see this as a loss for him.

I think he's a loser but if his legal team put him up to this that's some clever Saul Goodman type maneuvering. Hopefully it doesn't work out for him. I'd love to hear if anyone is familiar enough with American bankruptcy and employment law to weigh in on this.

explore

I was wrong about Don Granato and TNT
Jun 28, 2011

60ixu4.jpg

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
This should get very spicy with creditors as the debt is tied to the contract, not Kane himself with one of his largest creditors.

im sure lawyers will get Involved in this one but his loans were secured against his contract because it was essentially guaranteed. If he has done something that allows for termination of the contract he may still be personally liable

TheWayToRefJose

Oct 30, 2017
They're not going to get out of the contract for free. They're still going to owe Kane a ton of money, they just won't have his cap hit on the books.
That’s not how a termination works. It’s not a buyout. Kane gets zero real dollars from SJ going forward and his entire cap hit is gone.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014

You have a point on the buyout option depressing the value of assets that would have gone the other way, but your implication that the team could have reasonably assumed that there would have been an opportunity like this to terminate his contract and ought to have made decisions on this basis doesn't make sense, and I think you probably realize this and are pretending you don't in order to stunt on people who said things that bothered you.

Edenjung

Jun 7, 2018
Excellent verse. May offer a chorus…..?

But it is what it is.
Evander, Brown and Novik.
Here a dick, there a dick, everywhere a dick.
If its a dick you want, baby, just take your pick.

We will get there now we need a second verse.

go ahead swarm intelligence of this board.

Reactions: Number8
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad