Contract Termination: Evander Kane

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
The NHLPA should let its members vote on whether to defend Kane or not lol.
Kane is one of their members. He pays dues to said union. The contract being terminated was negotiated under terms the NHLPA helped establish. Including the process for a which a team can do this and how the player and union can fight it.
It’s their job to defend Kane here. Even if you or they don’t like him.

HFBS

Noted Troublemaker
Jan 18, 2015
from reported news:

Kane had not played for the Sharks' AHL squad, the Barracuda, since Dec. 22 after entering COVID-19 protocols. The 30-year-old reportedly was symptomatic, but had apparently re-joined the team on Thursday.
The Athletic's Kevin Kurz reported Saturday citing league sources that Kane traveled to Vancouver while he was in COVID-19 positive, which played a major factor in the decision to terminate his contract.

his agent: no comment

so he tested positive AND was symptomatic...

Major factor?

I think it was the straw that broke the moron's back.

Reactions: Moose and Squirrel

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
I’d consider signing him if I’m the Devils.
But with a lot of “only if’s”
Being able to sign him for one year …. At league minimum… I’d offer him a deal but only on a two way deal at league minimum on both NHL and AHL deals.
He makes one mistake at all and it’s bye bye , no hesitation , he’s gone. Anyone anywhere in the devils organization says anything remotely negative involving any interactions with anything Kane, then Kane is gone .

Sit down with Kane (Fitz , Marty Brodeur , coaching staff , ownership , etc.)
Ask him what’s going on and what he will do if the Devils consider signing him.
Make it crystal clear that if he makes any waves within the organization , on social media , public , he will be gone before he can blink an eye. Stay off social media while he is here. If he doesn’t want to do that , then look to go elsewhere.
Then I’d ask the players on what their thoughts are. If anyone has any objections at all , I do not sign Kane. If everyone is on board , then maybe I’d consider it.
Only thing is… I cannot see either ownership nor Fitz consider it .
Youngest roster in the league , Fitz and ownership have been pushing and building around a family first atmosphere in NJ , no real outspoken voice in the room (I can’t say for certain but I can’t imagine Nico the captain being a outspoken guy that freaks out on guys if the screw around or step out of line).
More or less , habe everyone of importance in the Devils organization approach Kane and essentially say “ Welcome , you F up , you will be gone in the blink of an eye. Don’t be an ass. Ok , now let’s play some hockey”

Last edited:
Reactions: Edenjung

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
I’d consider signing him if I’m the Devils.
But with a lot of “only if’s”
Being able to sign him for one year …. At league minimum… I’d offer him a deal but only on a two way deal at league minimum on both NHL and AHL deals.
He makes one mistake at all and it’s bye bye , no hesitation , he’s gone. Anyone anywhere in the devils organization says anything remotely negative interactions with anything Kane says / does and he’s gone .

Sit down with Kane (Fitz , Marty Brodeur , coaching staff , ownership , etc.)
Ask him what’s going on and what he will do if the Devils consider signing him.
Make it crystal clear that if he makes any waves within the organization , on social media , public , he will be gone before he can blink an eye.
Then I’d ask the players on what their thoughts are. If anyone has any objections at all , I do not sign Kane. If everyone is on board , then maybe I’d consider it.
Only thing is… I cannot see either ownership nor Fitz consider it .
Youngest roster in the league , Fitz and ownership have been pushing and building around a family first atmosphere in NJ…..

You're saying you wouldn't consider signing him then. Because he's not jumping through all those hoops for you and he's not worth the effort that you would have to put in to keep him on the straight and narrow. You'd run headlong into the NHLPA with your "many strings attached" offer as well.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
even if kane doesn't fight this, his creditors are going to try to step into his shoes to contest the contract termination.

a likely outcome is a settlement where the creditors will get cashed out a discounted amount of the contract value, kane will get squat but will be a ufa, and the sharks will avoid a cap hit.

if kane re-signs the creditors will be after that contract also. my guess is he will look to sign in a jurisdiction where garnishing an employment contract is difficult to do. the khl may be waiting.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
agreed, but it appears by these statements, there is little need for any speculation

Even with that being the case... he'd have a case to sue the NHLPA if they didn't follow through on their purpose to protect their guy, right or wrong. They have to file the grievance and the facts will bear it out. Even if they think he's a complete idiot who should have his contract terminated.

Reactions: surixon

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
even if kane doesn't fight this, his creditors are going to try to step into his shoes to contest the contract termination.

a likely outcome is a settlement where the creditors will get cashed out a discounted amount of the contract value, kane will get squat but will be a ufa, and the sharks will avoid a cap hit.

if kane re-signs the creditors will be after that contract also. my guess is he will look to sign in a jurisdiction where garnishing an employment contract is difficult to do. the khl may be waiting.

The creditors can't sue the NHL/Sharks and stop the team from terminating the contract that's the teams right but what they can do is argue that kane is still liable to owe the bank that money since it was his own doing that resulted in the contract being terminated.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
You're saying you wouldn't consider signing him then. Because he's not jumping through all those hoops for you and he's not worth the effort that you would have to put in to keep him on the straight and narrow. You'd run headlong into the NHLPA with your "many strings attached" offer as well.
How so ? You can send players down to the AHL for whatever reason you want. He does stupid shit , he gets sent down . Him making the minimum $ on a minor league deal , no way he stays and plays there. Doesn’t mean you have to dress him or play him in the AHL either. Eventually he would just quit worse case situation where he is healthy scratched in Utica . It would be only a matter of time he would violate team policy by not showing up . Why would he ? Making what is it , $90,000 to not okay but have to show up to practices etc ? And it’s only for one year . And this is all if he does something stupid to begin with.
I wouldn’t be too concerned to habe him on a league minimum one year , two way deal. He messes up , he’s gone . He can’t ruin an entire team if he can be sent down at the first sign of any trouble at all.
Shit, just hire someone to be his “handler” lol. Follow him and the team and report to Fitz . He does something wrong, bye bye

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Friedman adds that apparently he ditched the team for an extra week...

upload_2022-1-8_14-47-3.png

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
now THIS, I can believe

seems kinda silly with 23m on the line, but like ya said, ya never know what people will do
It could be from the Sharks perspective that they have nothing to lose. If they win in arbitration they get out of the contract. If they lose, they are forced to buy him it out which they may have done anyway.

Of course, losing would pretty much shatter the Sharks' reputation for any potential UFA coming in, but the future of the team on the ice is so far up shit creek it may not really matter.

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
I seem to remember LA trying to keep Voynov until it became a very public issue, and looking very ugly (is domestic abuse every pretty?)

I don't think so, he was suspended immediately and they never let him enter a facility again. No one wanted to lose him, he was an extremely good, young, player and losing him set our defense back quite a bit, but it was pretty unanimous immediately that he was never going to wear the sweater again.

Reactions: Moose and Squirrel
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad