Contract Termination: Evander Kane

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

BimJenning

Feb 17, 2008
Vancouver
Reactions: chauron

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
The creditors can't sue the NHL/Sharks and stop the team from terminating the contract that's the teams right but what they can do is argue that kane is still liable to owe the bank that money since it was his own doing that resulted in the contract being terminated.

i don't think that is right. creditors can usually protect assets that are being sabotaged. they can sue to try and force the sharks to honour the contract even if kane does not care or wants it terminated. they will basically argue in kane's name what he should be arguing.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Friedman adds that apparently he ditched the team for an extra week...

View attachment 496725

The only thing the Sharks really have if true is the not returning to the team on December 31st. The flight seems to not really be that big of an issue based on the dates reported. If he flew he likely tested negative at that point. So that’s on the San Jose Doctors. But if he really showed up a week late that’s unacceptable

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
That’s it for Kane’s NHL career. Behind the scenes I doubt the NHL will let any owner give Kane another contract. He might win the arbitration and get his money but it looks like his future is KHL all star now.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Hmm that could get dicey because the NHL shortened their COVID protocol to only 5 days on the 29th, so his agent may be right, they may have a case.
Not reporting back on time is a notable issue. And, I bet the Sharks have given him multiple written notices on what he can do, and when he has to report back.

Reactions: surixon

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
That’s it for Kane’s NHL career. Behind the scenes I doubt the NHL will let any owner give Kane another contract. He might win the arbitration and get his money but it looks like his future is KHL all star now.

I don't think they can really stop an NHL team from giving him a contract.

Maybe this will work out for Kane, he gets a good portion of his contract in a settlement and then is free to sign with another team for 2-3 mill a year.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Not reporting back on time is a notable issue. And, I bet the Sharks have given him multiple written notices on what he can do, and when he has to report back.

That's gonna be dicey, I don't know if they'll be able to get out of paying his entire contract just on that basis.

Reactions: francis246

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
People get what happened with Richards wrong.

It is extremely likely he did in fact have serious immigration issues that take 6 months to correct at minimum. That meant he would have missed all of training camp and the first 3 months of the season.

People overlook that law enforcement caught him in the act of violating drug laws. In such a situation, US immigration can act immediately and does not have to wait for a conviction.

Immigration issues fits the facts, how US immigration law is written, interpreted and enforced. It fits the timeline, Bill Daly's comments, and the leaks out of the Capitals.

Former Flyer Mike Richards Charged With Possession of Oxy - Gambone Law

"Under U.S. law, the mere admission of illegal drug use — in Ford’s case, an admission broadcast far and wide on American television — is grounds for a Canadian to be turned away at a crossing. The absence of criminal charges, let alone a conviction, doesn’t matter."

"In an email exchange, Customs and Border Protection public affairs officer Mike Milne quoted from the controlled substances section of the U.S. Immigration and Nationality Act, which says someone is “inadmissible” to the U.S. if he has either been “convicted of” or “admits having committed” a violation of drug laws in the U.S. or elsewhere.
When pressed to clarify, Milne highlighted the words “admits having committed” and “inadmissible” in bright yellow. Translation: the admission of crack use is itself grounds for refusing a foreigner entry."

Toronto Mayor Rob Ford could be denied entry to U.S.

Stranger Things star Charlie Heaton denied US entry over cocaine trace

MapleLeafs94

So then I said...
Nov 18, 2016
The Sharks are 10000% not getting out of Kane's deal through termination if that is what he's being released for.

This will definitely get settled or go to arbitration.

No disagreement here but if I was a Sharks fan I'd still be ecstatic. The alternative is 7 million in dead cap space in the minors or eating half that to get rid of him and possibly paying assets on top of that. Can't see the arbitration dealing them a hand more shitty than that.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
He definitely has a mental health issue.

You would think at his age you would show a level of maturity.

Leafshater67

Nov 2, 2019
Halifax
If I’m a small market team with little media presence, I’m scrambling to set up plans for a support net for him and already on the phone with his agent.

He’s a top tier power forward in his prime, destined to score 30 goals per season and you can likely have him at a league minimum. You’re a moron if you don’t take that risk. Carolina would be a good fit.

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Hmm that could get dicey because the NHL shortened their COVID protocol to only 5 days on the 29th, so his agent may be right, they may have a case.
It doesn't matter what the NHL did though, he was part of the AHL

Reactions: Bartcal

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
I suspect what his agent is going to argue is the team was basically setting him up and looking for any excuse to terminate the contract.

this is exactly why they won’t get out from underneath the contract money. And even the flight argument is shaky at best. If it is the holidays and he tested negative on the day the NHL shortened the protocols I don’t see why that’s even an issue. I think at the end of the day they will exchange termination for full value of the remaining contract or something close to it.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
It doesn't matter what the NHL did though, he was part of the AHL

depending on how they count the 10 days it was either 10 or 9 days when he flew. And it sounds like he may have had medical clearance to fly. So that sounds like team doctors/team weren’t on the same page there. I think the main thing they will argue is him showing up 7 days after he was supposed to

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
No disagreement here but if I was a Sharks fan I'd still be ecstatic. The alternative is 7 million in dead cap space in the minors or eating half that to get rid of him and possibly paying assets on top of that. Can't see the arbitration dealing them a hand more shitty than that.

Yeah you're right, this is great for the Sharks from a cap perspective because any sort of cap penalty that may arise from this will be way less than Kane's actual cap hit.

Kane will get a decent chunk of his owed money and will fade into irrelevance, and the Sharks will get out of most of his cap.

Reactions: MapleLeafs94
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad