Speculation: Evander Kane Megathread - Under termination appeal, NHL investigation, & looking for a new contract

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Yep. People can't seem to grasp he is signing for 4-5 months.

In all.of his previous teams, first few months hasn't been bad.

First sign of trouble or he sucks, he's out of the dressing room and walks July 1.

Literally 0 risk for the Oilers.

But hey some people will still push the narrative that Kane doing something stupid will instantly emotionally scare the Oilers and they will need therapy sessions thereafter

By the time Kane signs with the Oil, they might be out of playoffs lol

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Is there a scenario where he isn't allowed to sign an NHL contract this yeat?

Yea if the canadian government goes after him for an illegal entry into canada. He is allowed to drive to canada not fly while positive.

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
Is there a scenario where he isn't allowed to sign an NHL contract this yeat?

Maybe not a de jure bar to his signing but a de facto one. Most teams have 40-45 games left this season. It could be that since this is a second covid protocol violation, Kane could be suspended for a long time. If the suspension is for 45 games, what team is going to sign him this season?

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
The Capitals are reportedly interested in him too… idc if Oshie and Backstrom stay injured 80% of the season I don’t want him

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think the Capitals have the leadership group to make Kane work on a 1 year deal, but I wonder if it's worth upending the apple cart by bringing him in. I think they're in a very similar position to Pittsburgh and I absolutely do not want them to potential spoil the locker room by bringing in a guy with Kane's baggage, so I'm not sure the Capitals should be doing it either.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
That would be pretty hard to do unless he walks in and fights McDavid or Draisaitl in practice and injures them. He is in a situation that he needs to provide for his family and this could well be his last chance to play in the NHL if he bungles it. A 1 year deal means that if he comes in and becomes a major issue that he can be waived and we aren't losing much.

well…… no…. there are other things he can do in the locker room that can negatively impact the team. A locker room cancer doesn’t have to be a player who fights another teamate.

lawrence

May 19, 2012

Caps potentially with Kane

oof

it could have simply been a 2 minute call with the caps asking what is kane looking for, which ended with a “thank you for the info. I will talk to Ted and if we are interested we will give you a call back.”

that’s it. Lol.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Maybe not a de jure bar to his signing but a de facto one. Most teams have 40-45 games left this season. It could be that since this is a second covid protocol violation, Kane could be suspended for a long time. If the suspension is for 45 games, what team is going to sign him this season?

It not so much the problem if he gets suspended again but if the Canadian government charges him with a crime.

Reactions: Stimpythecat

caps4cup

Dynasty
Dec 31, 2010
I think the Capitals have the leadership group to make Kane work on a 1 year deal, but I wonder if it's worth upending the apple cart by bringing him in. I think they're in a very similar position to Pittsburgh and I absolutely do not want them to potential spoil the locker room by bringing in a guy with Kane's baggage, so I'm not sure the Capitals should be doing it either.
Would much rather the Caps go after a higher impact guy that can also help in the face off department/fill in at center as needed (mainly Giroux/Hertl) than Kane. Aside from being much better overall players, they also don’t come with the obvious baggage. Hard to see Giroux getting traded inside the division but one can dream. I don’t think Kane moves the needle that much for the Caps if Mantha is back. Sprong and McMichael (who have both been snake bitten big time) and Sheary all produce similarly on a rate basis at 5v5 as Kane, so I’m not really seeing the huge upgrade there. Obviously wouldn’t cost much and he should be motivated to do well on and off the ice, but I’d rather they give up more assets to get a true top line player.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
Would much rather the Caps go after a higher impact guy that can also help in the face off department/fill in at center as needed (mainly Giroux/Hertl) than Kane.
Can't speak for Giroux as a Sharks fan but Hertl isn't that much more impactful than Kane, though he is more valuable as a center. Kane is an absolute stud and one of if not the best power forwards in the game. Don't forget he led a team that had Hertl on it in scoring last year, and is a better goal scorer even though Hertl is a great goalscorer himself. Being able to add Kane without giving up anything INCLUDING money is super, super attractive to any team.

mrv52

Jan 22, 2004
Can't speak for Giroux as a Sharks fan but Hertl isn't that much more impactful than Kane, though he is more valuable as a center. Kane is an absolute stud and one of if not the best power forwards in the game. Don't forget he led a team that had Hertl on it in scoring last year, and is a better goal scorer even though Hertl is a great goalscorer himself. Being able to add Kane without giving up anything INCLUDING money is super, super attractive to any team.

If this is the case, why won't the Sharks sign him? (Or Peg, or Sabres)

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA

Hertl, when healthy, is much more impactful than Kane IMO. Especially in the playoffs. Factor in the Kane baggage and that gap widens even more.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
it could have simply been a 2 minute call with the caps asking what is kane looking for, which ended with a “thank you for the info. I will talk to Ted and if we are interested we will give you a call back.”

that’s it. Lol.
Congratulations your officially an insider.

Mar 26, 2010
About 10 years ago Nylander agreed to sign with the oilers only to sign with the caps 12 hours later
Yeah, to be honest I don’t care where he signs. He is a good player, but is a big risk.

That being said I would take him on the Leafs for sure.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Are teams waiting for the result of the NHLPA appeal or does that have nothing to do with the delay in signing.

Nothing to do with it. Its very unlikely that the contract will get reinstated.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
Hertl, when healthy, is much more impactful than Kane IMO. Especially in the playoffs. Factor in the Kane baggage and that gap widens even more.
The Kane baggage doesn't factor into this question at all and if you separate your feelings for Kane from the analysis, this is not true. Hertl may be more impactful but not much more. We tend to forgive and forget the games Hertl does nothing in.

TBH Kane is a better player at his position than Hertl is at his, and cracks the top line on more teams than Hertl. Kane is a top 10 left wing.

Last edited:

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Oh, I know it's very unlikely but wasn't sure if an official decision on the appeal had to be made before Kane could sign.

Not really what matters is whether he gets suspended again by the league or canada goes after him criminally since he flew into canada instead of driving in. By canada's protocol a canadian citizen that is positive for the virus can only drive into canada not fly in.

Reactions: 42
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad