Player Discussion Evan Bouchard

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Okay...you think that Bouchard is a top 5 NHL dman.
Got it.

Lets see if the voting members think that way as well.

So the only thing holding back Bouchard from winning the Norris is this false notion that he is not an elite defender.
Okay.
You think you’d be able to back this issue you have with his defense with something other than a couple clips of plays.

I think you’d also be surprised to hear Hughes also makes those mistakes, you should have seen his play last night.

Bouchards power play points this season is essentially the difference between his and Ekholms offensive production.
So essentially what you are saying is that Bouchards PP production elevates him above Ekholm and makes him a better overall damn than Ekholm.
Correct?
Do powerplay goals not help you win games anymore?

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Bouchards power play points this season is essentially the difference between his and Ekholms offensive production.
So essentially what you are saying is that Bouchards PP production elevates him above Ekholm and makes him a better overall damn than Ekholm.
Correct?
It has nothing to do with what I think. We've been talking about the Norris, so we're talking in the context of how voters have and will vote for it.

Like I said in my last post, I love guys like Heiskanen, McAvoy, Ekholm, etc, but those types of defensemen don't win the Norris.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
It has nothing to do with what I think. We've been talking about the Norris so, we're talking in the context of how voters have and will vote for it.

Like I said in my last post, I love guys like Heiskanen, McAvoy, Ekholm, etc, but those types of defensemen don't win the Norris.
Well...what it is about is trying to construct an argument whereby Bouchard is Norris worthy.

The ONLY difference between Bouchard and Ekholm offensively is PP points.
In terms of their defence its quite clear which player is better.
Not my personal opinion...just facts.

So your (and @Tobias Kahun 's) argument then has to be that...by virtue of Bouchards PP production...that elevates him to Norris status and should have him in the running.
If you cant see how flawed that positon is then I dont know what to say.

The Norris isnt voted on by virtue of PP production. Especially on a PP that is one of the best in the NHL.
The very same PP that was one of the best in the League when Tyson Barrie was the point man.

Last edited:

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Well...what it is about is trying to construct an argument whereby Bouchard is Norris worhty.

The ONLY difference between Bouchard and Ekholm offensively is PP points.
In terms of their defence its quite clear which player is better.
Not my personal opinion...just facts.

So your argument then has to be that...by virtue of Bouchards PP production...that elevates him to Norris status and should have him in the running.
If you cant see how flawed that positon is then I dont know what to say.
It isn't flawed though haha. We're talking about the NHL's Norris. You seem to be talking about guymez's Norris where defense matters most.

PP production is a massive part of the Norris. Look back at past winners and find me someone that wasn't right near the top of the league in PP points.

Reactions: Tobias Kahun

Despote

Mar 21, 2023
I hope he can handle playoff intensity. He's had a great regular season but that'll be the true test for him... and everyone else on the club.

Reactions: Whoshattenkirkshoes

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
It isn't flawed though haha. We're talking about the NHL's Norris. You seem to be talking about guymez's Norris where defense matters most.

PP production is a massive part of the Norris. Look back at past winners and find me someone that wasn't right near the top of the league in PP points.
Like I have said a few times to you already....we shall see how the votes play out.
I am quite confident that Bocuhard wont be a contender for the Norris.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Like I have said a few times to you already....we shall see how the votes play out.
You also don’t know how the Norris is voted on.

If Bouchard was as bad as you say defensively, you’d think it would show up somewhere

It’s impressive how often ekholm jumps into the play when he’s supposed to be back there babysitting Bouchard also.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
It's obvious you're confident in that. We're all telling you why you shouldn't be haha.

Just to be clear, what's your definition of contender for the Norris? Top 5 in voting?

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
You also don’t know how the Norris is voted on.

If Bouchard was as bad as you say defensively, you’d think it would show up somewhere
Bouchard for his play this season is in the same tier as a Sergachev.

He's much better than Sergachev, but still the same tier. (almost breaking through)

If Bouchard can start playing with more intensity, start making BETTER and FASTER decisions with the puck then he for sure has the potential to be something great.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
It's obvious you're confident in that. We're all telling you why you shouldn't be haha.

Just to be clear, what's your definition of contender for the Norris? Top 5 in voting?
Well...this has become nothing more than a circular argument.
Not much point in continuing to go around and around on this.

You think that Bouchard will be a Norris contender (ie get Norris contending Norris votes)...I dont.
Okay fine.

Lets see how it plays out.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
Why? Because I’m exposing the circles you’re running in your argument?
No because:
1. Q. Hughes wins the Norris easy. You should have put some money down.
2. Bouchard doesn't come remotely close to winning it.
3. Nobody gives a crap about the Norris and it doesn't change the fact that Bouchard is not even close to being on Hughes/Makar/Josi level.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
LOL...sure dude.

Is it that difficult to wait and see how the Norris voting plays out?

We will see.
If you are right and Bouchard is a Norris contender then you can toot your horn.
Is he a top 5 D? No, is he a top 5 Norris contender? He should be based on his results and past seasons on how they vote

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Despote

Mar 21, 2023
why wouldn't he be able to? he led the league in playoff points for a d-man last year and he's got even more experience this year
Yeah, he scored a ton on the powerplay. He did struggle defensively at 5vs5 though and only had 2 points in 5vs5 hockey.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Well...this has become nothing more than a circular argument.
Not much point in continuing to go around and around on this.

You think that Bouchard will be a Norris contender (ie get Norris contending Norris votes)...I dont.
Okay fine.

Lets see how it plays out.
Let's not get it twisted.

I think Bouchard has a good chance at some top 5 votes. I don't think he's going to get any 1st place votes(if that's what you mean by "Norris contending Norris votes") unless some Edmonton homers or analytics guys go all-in.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
All of Bouchard's stats are hyped because he plays on the Oilers. You realize if you did this same thing with Barrie before he left Edmonton it would look similar?
McDrai aren't the only 2 good players in the NHL. Also, you seem clueless of Bouchards stats pre-draft

The sentiment that he's only good on the Oilers is just plain stupidity

Reactions: Tobias Kahun

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad