Player Discussion Evan Bouchard

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
McDrai aren't the only 2 good players in the NHL. Also, you seem clueless of Bouchards stats pre-draft

The sentiment that he's only good on the Oilers is just plain stupidity
He’d be so confused if he saw Hedmans stats with and away from kucherov

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Let's not get it twisted.

I think Bouchard has a good chance at some top 5 votes. I don't think he's going to get any 1st place votes(if that's what you mean by "Norris contending Norris votes") unless some Edmonton homers or analytics guys go all-in.
Again...the only thing that seperates Bouchards offence from Ekholms offence is the PP.
Ekholm by every metric (and visually) is a better defender than Bouchard.

Barrie put up some good analytics when he was here as well and he was also a PP point king.
Not Norris worthy IMO.

How will the voters vote regarding Bouchard...we shall see.

Reactions: Whoshattenkirkshoes

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
McDrai aren't the only 2 good players in the NHL. Also, you seem clueless of Bouchards stats pre-draft

The sentiment that he's only good on the Oilers is just plain stupidity
Dude chill. By hyped I mean like 7-10 points. I Know all about his days in London and I know that Holland would have drafted him if Zadina was off the board

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Again...the only thing that seperates Bouchards offence from Ekholms offence is the PP.

Barrie put up some good analytics when he was here as well and he was also a PP point king.
Not Norris worhty IMO.

Barrie’s analytics never came close to what Bouchard is doing

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014

Not Norris worhty IMO.

And WHERE is Barrie today??????

THE PRESS BOX.

Did posters on here hype up Barrie to be a top 20 defensman when he played here?!?!

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

THE PRESS BOX.

Did posters on here hype up Barrie to be a top 20 defensman when he played here?!?!
I do remember some posters claiming the the PP would take a step back without Barrie.
It didnt.
Might have a little something to do with McDavid and Draisaitl.

Not to say that Bouchard hasnt done a great job on the PP...he absolutely has.
Its just that when you have the worlds 2 greatest talents on the PP it tends to strongly influence things (open up ice...etc).

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

Not Norris worthy IMO.

That only thing is 35 points haha.

Again, I'm not sure why you're making the argument that the PP doesn't matter when it's been proven very obviously that it's a huge factor in Norris voting.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I do remember some posters claiming the the PP would take a step back without Barrie.
It didnt.
Might have a little something to do with McDavid and Draisaitl.

Not to say that Bouchard hasnt done a great job on the PP...he absolutely has.
Its just that when you have the worlds 2 greatest talents on the PP it tends to strongly influence things (open up ice...etc).
I’d argue RNH is more important than Bouchard also, he plays a more crucial role than people realize on the powerplay.

Reactions: AM

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
That only thing is 35 points haha.

Again, I'm not sure why you're making the argument that the PP doesn't matter when it's been proven very obviously that it's a huge factor in Norris voting.
I never said that the PP doesnt matter.
Show me where I said that.

Last edited:

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
He’d be so confused if he saw Hedmans stats with and away from kucherov
Funny thing bud is Hedman put up 49 points last year while nursing an injury and not being on the PP with kucherov. That was Sergachev

I'm done with this argument because you guys are being delusional. I never said Bouchard is bad. He is a good player. I said he needs to stop his bone head turnovers. The intelligent posters here have acknowledged this.

I'm trying to humble you guys by saying he is not a top 10 defenceman in the NHL. He isn't even the best on the team.

Do you guys just argue whoever you want in life for no reason?

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I’d argue RNH is more important than Bouchard also, he plays a more crucial role than people realize on the powerplay.
Okay...finally something we can agree on.
RNH is indeed important to the PP.
He should absolutely get more credit for that.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Pretty tough to interpret it any other way. Why else do you keep saying "the only thing separating Bouchard and Ekholm's points is PP points" like it's something that shouldn't be acknowledged?
What I am suggesting is that on this particular PP (one of the best in the League) why should PP points be a determining factor for Norris voting?
Especially when it was one of the best in the League prior to Bouchard being the point man.
Barrie put up massive points on the PP as well. His analytics were good too...why no Norris consideration?

so it wouldn't matter if we had Hughes, Makar, Karlsson, Pronger...McDavid and Draisaitl will always influence numbers?
What?

Hockeylife2018

Nov 21, 2011

Not Norris worthy IMO.

As we seen last year, the only stats that matters in Norris voting these days seems to be total points

They really really need to split the trophy into best offensive and best overall defenceman

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
What I am suggesting is that on this particular PP (one of the best in the League) why should PP points be a determining factor for Norris voting?
Especially when it was one of the best in the League prior to Bouchard being the point man.
That sounds like an issue with you disagreeing with how people vote on the Norris.

PP points have always mattered. People brought up Barrie's 20-21 year. Guess where the Norris winner and runner-ups(Fox, Hedman and Makar) ended up in PP scoring that year? 1st, T2nd and 4th.

Some writer from Pittsburgh or Florida isn't going to look back and compare how Bouchard and Barrie did on the PP. They're going to look at points and vote for him.

Reactions: Tobias Kahun

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
As we seen last year, the only stats that matters in Norris voting these days seems to be total points

They really really need to split the trophy into best offensive and best overall defenceman
The Norris is supposed to be awarded to the best overall defenceman.
The wording IIRC is the greatest all around ability in the position.

That sounds like an issue with you disagreeing with how people vote on the Norris.

PP points have always mattered. People brought up Barrie's 20-21 year. Guess where the Norris winner and runner-ups(Fox, Hedman and Makar) ended up in PP scoring that year? 1st, T2nd and 4th.

Some writer from Pittsburgh or Florida isn't going to look back and compare how Bouchard and Barrie did on the PP. They're going to look at points and vote for him.
Come on.
You know what I am saying here.
Its pretty clear that Bouchards offence is driven by the best PP in the NHL.
The very same PP that Barrie used to load up his point toals.

Again I ask...why wasnt Barrie consdiered a Norris candidate?

Reactions: Whoshattenkirkshoes

Hockeylife2018

Nov 21, 2011
The Norris is supposed to be awarded to the best overall defenceman.
The wording IIRC is the greatest all around ability in the position.
Agreed, but is there a single person that if they could create an all star line to defend a 1 goal lead with 1 minute left in the game, would have current Norris trophy winner karlsson on the ice?

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Come on.

Like I said, you've got your Oilers goggles on. The Oilers aren't the only team in the league with a good PP. Tampa has a great PP, New York has a great PP, Colorado has a great PP. Vancouver has a good PP. Guys that lead the league in PP points tend to play on good PPs.

Barrie played less, had significantly worse defensive metrics and didn't score anything close to Bouchard at 5v5. Just to illustrate the difference in metrics, Barrie was 160th in xGF% for defenseman that year. Bouchard is 1st this year.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

THE PRESS BOX.

Much of this discussion is about the Norris trophy not some absolute ranking of defensemen. The voting for the Norris is highly skewed towards a combination of offensive statistics and other things like possession stats because many people who vote on the awards may have very little opportunity to watch the players outside their home region. Regardless of how he is viewed Bouchard is having an elite year in terms of both his offensive production and his defensive metrics. While Barrie did lead the league in points by a defenseman, he was never close to elite in any other metric while with Edmonton.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Come on.

cause he never had close to 80 points, despite playing on the best PP in the league

Reactions: Oilhawks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad