Euro: Euro 2024: announced squads, pre-tournament friendlies etc.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

HeHateMeFrisbee

Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Savannah, GA
Konsa was laughably bad today, also missed three glorious opportunities with weak shots. It's not his fault though, he shouldn't even start for Villa. He did this year because of injuries.
He won't be on the plane.

Some difficult decisions for GS. Thought Wharton looked good but has he done enough? Eze showed he should be in the final squad but both Grealish and Madison played well too. Feel like at least one of them will miss out, probably between Grealish and Madison.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I’m finding a spot for Wharton. Period. He’s better than Mainoo (both should go)

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
I presume Trafford, Dunk, Quansah, Maddison, Bowen and Jones don't make the final cut. Final spot is between Eze and Wharton. Don't think Wharton will make it this time.

There will only be Rice, Bellingham, Mainoo, Gallagher Foden, Saka, Kane, Palmer, TAA, Gordon and Grealish that will get on the pitch during the tournament. Toney strictly for penalties.

Last edited:

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
lol No it isn't. There shouldn't even be any Saudi-based players there in the first place.

Just to expand, Otavio is a pitbull who can be useful coming off the bench, but it's not like he's some vital piece. Nunes coming in also beefs up the CM position which was a bit lacking, Otavio would have played AM or winger and Portugal already has enough of those options.
1717483704440.png

Problem is Otavio is much better defensively than Nunes for that CM position. And playing every minute for Saudi is better than less a quarter of the minutes City play. Not to mention losing a ton of leadership without Otavio.

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
View attachment 879387
Problem is Otavio is much better defensively than Nunes for that CM position. And playing every minute for Saudi is better than less a quarter of the minutes City play. Not to mention losing a ton of leadership without Otavio.
Please. Being a rotational squad player for City is still playing at a far higher, more competitive level than doing anything in Saudi Arabia. Every player who comes back from there for international duty looks like shit. Neves, Otavio, and Ronaldo all started in a friendly recently and they were collectively embarrassing. Couldn't even hack it against the likes of Slovenia. The fact that Ronaldo is a goal-a-game there at almost 40 says it all. Somehow I doubt that kind of form is going to translate to the tournament.

Losing a "ton of leadership". Uh, sure. They have more than enough leadership and experience in the squad without Otavio. The guy doesn't even have 20 caps for Portugal, he's a fringe player.

Last edited:

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
Please. Being a rotational squad player for City is still playing at a far higher, more competitive level than doing anything in Saudi Arabia. Every player who comes back from there for international duty looks like shit. Neves, Otavio, and Ronaldo all started in a friendly recently and they were collectively embarrassing. Couldn't even hack it against the likes of Slovenia. The fact that Ronaldo is a goal-a-game there at almost 40 says it all. Somehow I doubt that kind of form is going to translate to the tournament.

Losing a "ton of leadership". Uh, sure. They have more than enough leadership and experience in the squad without Otavio. The guy doesn't even have 20 caps for Portugal, he's a fringe player.
You a Benfica/Sporting fan by any chance?

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC

Gotta say, haven't been very impressed with Bono since he went to Saudi either. Granted it was a small sample size and he'll sometimes see games with literally zero shots on net but he was disappointing at AFCON.

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
Gotta say, haven't been very impressed with Bono since he went to Saudi either. Granted it was a small sample size and he'll sometimes see games with literally zero shots on net but he was disappointing at AFCON.
Henderson was awful for Ajax when he came back. There's probably more examples. Between the complacency that would set in from earning retirement money and the drastically reduced level of competitive play, no serious NT should have Saudi-based players in their squad, especially if they can be easily replaced.

Last edited:

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
England cuts are up to Trafford, Maddison, Jones, Grealish, Maguire. Two more left to do, who I imagine will be Quansah and either Toney or Watkins.

Maguire is reportedly because of the calf injury that kept him out from the end of the season. Still though, he missed the tailend of 2020-21 injured and Southgate took him, let him recover through the group stage, and he came back so strong in the knockouts he ended up on the Team of the Tournament. I'm very surprised by this.

Grealish is a form choice, but still a bit of a surprise. Shame that Pep ruined him.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
England cuts are up to Trafford, Maddison, Jones, Grealish, Maguire. Two more left to do, who I imagine will be Quansah and either Toney or Watkins.

Maguire is reportedly because of the calf injury that kept him out from the end of the season. Still though, he missed the tailend of 2020-21 injured and Southgate took him, let him recover through the group stage, and he came back so strong in the knockouts he ended up on the Team of the Tournament. I'm very surprised by this.

Grealish is a form choice, but still a bit of a surprise. Shame that Pep ruined him.
Quansah apparently got cut, but that might have been before Maguire got ruled out? But they might want a left footed CB instead? Although Quansah has looked good at LCB?

Lost story short - I’m not taking him over Dunk who is like 10 years older and isn’t going to play either

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Quansah apparently got cut, but that might have been before Maguire got ruled out? But they might want a left footed CB instead? Although Quansah has looked good at LCB?

Lost story short - I’m not taking him over Dunk who is like 10 years older and isn’t going to play either
Last I'm seeing is that Quansah is not yet confirmed, but is expected to be. In the battle of the guys whose names sound similar, I'd take Quansah over Konsa. And I also don't particularly like Lewis Dunk.

Expect it'll be Guehi next to Stones.

Incubajerks

Feb 9, 2010
Roma
DonnarummaPortierePsg
MeretPortiereNapoli
VicarioPortiereTottenham
BastoniDifensoreInter
BellanovaDifensoreTorino
BuongiornoDifensoreTorino
CalafioriDifensoreBologna
CambiasoDifensoreJuventus
DarmianDifensoreInter
Di LorenzoDifensoreNapoli
DimarcoDifensoreInter
GattiDifensoreJuventus
ManciniDifensoreRoma
BarellaCentrocampistaInter
CristanteCentrocampistaRoma
FagioliCentrocampistaJuventus
FolorunshoCentrocampistaVerona
FrattesiCentrocampistaInter
JorginhoCentrocampistaArsenal
PellegriniCentrocampistaRoma
ChiesaAttaccanteJuventus
El ShaarawyAttaccanteRoma
RaspadoriAttaccanteNapoli
ReteguiAttaccanteGenoa
ScamaccaAttaccanteAtalanta
ZaccagniAttaccanteLazio

Provedel, Ricci and Orsolini left out.

HeHateMeFrisbee

Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Savannah, GA
If it's true he was going to start Maddison tomorrow even though he'd already been told he was cut, I am in awe. We're supposed to be preparing for a tournament...why give a player you don't want a run out?

Reactions: luiginb

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Lol what a ham-fisted attempt at a "joke".

I'm surprised Bowen made it, but happy for him. He won't see the pitch, but fun trip.

Reactions: luiginb

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad