Euro: Euro 2024: announced squads, pre-tournament friendlies etc.

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
Belgium squad:

GK Koen Casteels (Hoffenheim)
GK Matz Sels (Nottingham Forest)
GK Thomas Kaminski (Luton Town)

RB Timothy Castagne (Fulham)
RB Thomas Meunier (Dortmund)
CB Jan Vertonghen (Anderlecht)
CB Zeno Debast (Anderlecht)
CB Wout Faes (Leicester)
CB Axel Witsel (Atlético) :skeptic:
CB Arthur Theate (Rennes)
LB Maxim De Cuyper (Club Brugge)

DM Amadou Onana (Everton)
DM Orel Mangala (Lyon)
CM Artur Vermeeren (Atlético)
CM Aster Vranckx (Wolfsburg)
CM Youri Tielemans (Aston Villa)
CM Kevin De Bruyne (Man City)

RW Yannick Carrasco (Al-Shabab)
RW Dodi Lukebakio (Sevilla)
LW Jeremy Doku (Man City)
LW Johan Bakayoko (PSV)
F Leandro Trossard (Arsenal)
F Charles De Ketelaere (Atalanta)
ST Lois Openda (Leipzig)
ST Romelu Lukaku (Roma)

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Belgium squad:

GK Koen Casteels (Hoffenheim)
GK Matz Sels (Nottingham Forest)
GK Thomas Kaminski (Luton Town)

RB Timothy Castagne (Fulham)
RB Thomas Meunier (Dortmund)
CB Jan Vertonghen (Anderlecht)
CB Zeno Debast (Anderlecht)
CB Wout Faes (Leicester)
CB Axel Witsel (Atlético) :skeptic:
CB Arthur Theate (Rennes)
LB Maxim De Cuyper (Club Brugge)

DM Amadou Onana (Everton)
DM Orel Mangala (Lyon)
CM Artur Vermeeren (Atlético)
CM Aster Vranckx (Wolfsburg)
CM Youri Tielemans (Aston Villa)
CM Kevin De Bruyne (Man City)

RW Yannick Carrasco (Al-Shabab)
RW Dodi Lukebakio (Sevilla)
LW Jeremy Doku (Man City)
LW Johan Bakayoko (PSV)
F Leandro Trossard (Arsenal)
F Charles De Ketelaere (Atalanta)
ST Lois Openda (Leipzig)
ST Romelu Lukaku (Roma)
I'll be honest, that defence doesn't look that hot IMO.
Everything else still top tier. Well, you could use Curtois I guess, but yeah...

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
He's beefing with Tedesco.
Isn't that whole locker room beefing at this point.

I forget the full story, but some of the players left Qatar on their own flight because they didn't want to travel home with the team.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
didn't Courtois say when he got injured that his aim was to be back by end of season but he didn't want to risk it at the Euros? Am I getting this wrong?

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
didn't Courtois say when he got injured that his aim was to be back by end of season but he didn't want to risk it at the Euros? Am I getting this wrong?

That's what he said indeed. But he's not going to the Euro because his beef with Tedesco. The injury was just convenient.

Courtois is an asshole and a petty manchild, so yeah leave his ass at home.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
I'll be honest, that defence doesn't look that hot IMO.
Everything else still top tier. Well, you could use Curtois I guess, but yeah...

Young and speedy CB pairing of Vertonghen and Witzel...

But honestly, who's going to start and what the defensive formation will be? 3 CBs or what? As they have 1 spot left open, is that going to be a LB, or does De Cuyper have that nailed without back up. I suppose Carrasco doesn't start as a WB/winger anymore.

Plenty of players in attack who had a good season, at least individually/statistically even if their teams didn't.

• Haha
Reactions: PanniniClaus

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
That's what he said indeed. But he's not going to the Euro because his beef with Tedesco. The injury was just convenient.

Courtois is an asshole and a petty manchild, so yeah leave his ass at home.
Never ever liked the guy and thought he was overrated at Chelsea.. Overrated in the national team too.

Young and speedy CB pairing of Vertonghen and Witzel...

But honestly, who's going to start and what the defensive formation will be? 3 CBs or what? As they have 1 spot left open, is that going to be a LB, or does De Cuyper have that nailed without back up. I suppose Carrasco doesn't start as a WB/winger anymore.

Plenty of players in attack who had a good season, at least individually/statistically even if their teams didn't.
Vertonghen and Witzel.. that's rough.

Wee Baby Seamus

Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Never ever liked the guy and thought he was overrated at Chelsea.. Overrated in the national team too.
oh goodness!

courtois and hazard are the only reason why belgium came out of its 'golden generation' with even the tiniest thing to show for it. if not for courtois and hazard in 2018 - who dragged a gang of extremely high-profile and extremely underwhelming passengers to within a corner kick of a world cup final which they likely would've won - belgium would've had a golden gen of [2014 qf], [2016 qf], [2018 qf], [2020 qf] rather than at least having a bronze medal for it. courtois and hazard were the only two belgian stars who EVER pulled their weight in tournaments.

and overrated at chelsea? nah.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
oh goodness!

courtois and hazard are the only reason why belgium came out of its 'golden generation' with even the tiniest thing to show for it. if not for courtois and hazard in 2018 - who dragged a gang of extremely high-profile and extremely underwhelming passengers to within a corner kick of a world cup final which they likely would've won - belgium would've had a golden gen of [2014 qf], [2016 qf], [2018 qf], [2020 qf] rather than at least having a bronze medal for it. courtois and hazard were the only two belgian stars who EVER pulled their weight in tournaments.

and overrated at chelsea? nah.
Well - I get that is controversial but there were many Champions League nights I felt one more save from Courtois and we would progress further. Always seemed to come up small when you needed him most.

Euro 2016... I thought he stunk the joint out against Wales..

I'll give you the WC in 2018.. He was pretty good.

He had 16 clean sheets during the 2017 title run but that team was truly ruled by Kante at the height of his powers. Hazard and Costa scoring the key goals.. Some great defense from experienced campaigners in Cahill, Luiz, Azpuilicueta. Even in this "dominant" year for Courtois... De Gea was voted the keeper of the year.

So I always felt he could have done more given his size and athleticism..

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
but he's also been consistently a top 3 keeper in the world since 2013
minor quibble in that I think he's fallen off slightly in the last couple years (obviously hard to judge this year) especially in terms of consistency. Of course, he also won Real Madrid a Champions League two seasons ago, so the drop off at the top end isn't the same, if that makes sense.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Yeah I would never, ever call him overrated

but he's got a garbage personality
I don’t know if they’re a contender for this but It’s probably time to turn some of those guys over anyways.

Wee Baby Seamus

Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
They're the most interesting bet IMO. Surprisingly intriguing odds to make the final / win, with as much talent as any of the top 3 betting favorites.
between the lingering ego of a captain who will insist on starting when he could be the best super sub in the tournament and the enormous bozo who is coaching them, they're hard to predict.

on paper, they are the third best team in this tournament IMO (behind england and france). and they were definitely an absolute machine in qualifying (albeit in a pretty straight-forward group). 10-0-0, 36 GF 2GA is a pretty wild record.

they will also likely face a 3rd place team rather than a runner-up in R16 (albeit, it is possible that the third place team will be one of spain, italy, or croatia).

unfortunately, roberto martinez is the worst possible coach for a squad with potential defensive frailties (a fullback group which has never tracked back and a defensive midfielder whose strategy is 'tackle everything that moves' rather than think tactically). they should go deep, but i don't think they will.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Lots of moaning about some of the choices on spains squad. But who should been included instead of Perez and Joselu then?

Fati? Asensio? Zaragoza? Pino?

Wee Baby Seamus

Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Netherlands made their cuts. Maatsen amongst them
i need ronald koeman to explain this to me like i'm five years old

your only 'left backs' are daley blind and nathan ake, both of whom play centre back at club level.

you also took three right backs, all three of whom are pure right backs/right wingbacks.

and then you get rid of an extremely dynamic left-back

Reactions: luiginb

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad