Euro: Euro 2024: announced squads, pre-tournament friendlies etc.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Croatia's first ever win over Portugal in any sort of match, several near calls but they finally did it. I know these games don't matter at pre-2018 WC for example they lost a friendly but feeling slightly better after these two games, unfortunately lack a good striker and doubt the likes of Modric, Broz, Perisic can play 3 full 90s in a week's time, though Dalic has started to take Modric off in some of these games and rely on youngsters to close it out (even in qualifying)

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
The hate Saka is getting in the English press is a little ridiculous.... I wonder why he is being singled out for the performance....?

He's been mid all-season tbh or at least in the 2nd half, didn't impress me. Kid played too much football. He's not winning the 1 v 1s like he used to either and he's been really neutralized in a tonne of games.

Palmer outplayed him on the right side this season and should be starting plus Palmer is probably England's most creative player at unblocking low-blocks. Palmer won't provide the width on the right side that Saka does but that's not really an issue tbh they need to have TAA starting at RB instead of Walker.

Bures Elbow

Nov 2, 2013
Embarrassing performance from Portugal, against the first decent team they faced under Martinez's tenure. No dynamic attacking play with lethargic build-up, a defence and midfield both passive and easily bypassed. No chemistry or tactical cohesion. Palhinha can't be dropped between the centrebacks to build play, that's his weakness. Vitinha needs to do it, and he and Palhinha need to play further up the pitch to impliment a press. Felix is just to frustrating, flopping hard. Leao, brilliant but lazy, if he actually applied himself he would be unstoppable but he's just dumb. Bernardo Silva a non factor as usual in big games for us, something needs to change. Inacio so vulnerable, basic give and go's easily took him out of play, we're still reliant on a 41 year old Pepe to partner Dias, or Antontio Silva whose still a bit green.

First real test was a uncertified failure.

I'm honestly prepared for a crash and burn in the group stage, it was that poor. Even if we get first getting Italy or Croatia would eliminate us, nevermind Holland or god forbid someone like Germany in the semis. We got cooked.

Croatia on the other hand looked the opposite, a cohesive unit with sublime passing and defensive organization, just lacking 2 good forwards. Stanisic, Gvadriol, are just in great form. With Italy looking average and losing two solid defenders pre tournament, I see Croatia finishing second in their group.

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
Embarrassing performance from Portugal, against the first decent team they faced under Martinez's tenure. No dynamic attacking play with lethargic build-up, a defence and midfield both passive and easily bypassed. No chemistry or tactical cohesion. Palhinha can't be dropped between the centrebacks to build play, that's his weakness. Vitinha needs to do it, and he and Palhinha need to play further up the pitch to impliment a press. Felix is just to frustrating, flopping hard. Leao, brilliant but lazy, if he actually applied himself he would be unstoppable but he's just dumb. Bernardo Silva a non factor as usual in big games for us, something needs to change. Inacio so vulnerable, basic give and go's easily took him out of play, we're still reliant on a 41 year old Pepe to partner Dias, or Antontio Silva whose still a bit green.

I'm honestly prepared for a crash and burn in the group stage, it was that poor. Even if we get first getting Italy or Croatia would eliminate us, nevermind Holland or god forbid someone like Germany in the semis. We got cooked.

Croatia on the other hand looked the opposite, a cohesive unit with sublime passing and defensive organization, just lacking 2 good forwards. Stanisic, Gvadriol, are just in great form. With Italy looking average and losing two solid defenders pre tournament, I see Croatia finishing second in their group.
This is such an overreaction.

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
"Prepared for a crash and burn in the group stage"

I mean get a grip, seriously.

Now for more a sensible, nuanced take:

Croatia were the better team overall and deservedly won, albeit they were given a soft penalty. It was no where near the disaster portrayed by that poster. First half was poor, but Portugal played much better in the second half ("No dynamic attacking play with lethargic build-up" is bs), outplayed Croatia for large portions of it. Granted, Croatia could have also scored more if not for some great keeping by Costa.

I will agree that they look questionable defensively and have been bleeding chances and goals the last few games, which needs to be improved. They've been missing Pepe though, who despite his age is still probably better than the majority of CBs at the tournament.

Losing is always disappointing, but I think a lot of people generally seem to take these pre-tournament friendlies much too seriously. Main thing I'm concerned about is getting through them without any injuries.

Last edited:

Bures Elbow

Nov 2, 2013
This is such an overreaction.
If it wasn’t for Diogo Costa it would have been a blowout. We’ve suffered 8 goals in our last 4 games as well….including games vs Slovenia and Finland.

There’s more questions than answers at this point.

Reactions: luiginb

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
If it wasn’t for Diogo Costa it would have been a blowout. We’ve suffered 8 goals in our last 4 games as well….including games vs Slovenia and Finland.

There’s more questions than answers at this point.
Which needs to be improved, but they're not being eliminated in the group stage because they lost a friendly to Croatia.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
He's been mid all-season tbh or at least in the 2nd half, didn't impress me. Kid played too much football. He's not winning the 1 v 1s like he used to either and he's been really neutralized in a tonne of games.

Palmer outplayed him on the right side this season and should be starting plus Palmer is probably England's most creative player at unblocking low-blocks. Palmer won't provide the width on the right side that Saka does but that's not really an issue tbh they need to have TAA starting at RB instead of Walker.
I don't disagree on the mid-front. He definitely looks burnt out and my guess is he is battling through injury.

Just seems odd to single out Saka when he came on as a sub in the 65th minute in a friendly against Iceland.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Or the problem could be that he can only play in one position outside of Pep's system and he's not the best England player in that position
I old enough to remember Messi was considered not good enough for the NT and that he was only good in Barca’s system. If the player is talented enough then the problem is the team/coach. Foden is talented enough

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
I old enough to remember Messi was considered not good enough for the NT and that he was only good in Barca’s system. If the player is talented enough then the problem is the team/coach. Foden is talented enough
Anyone that was ever questioning Messi was just a troll or an idiot (or both).

And for the record, I agree that Southgate makes stupid decisions that hurt England. Foden is a talented enough player, but is he better at the 10 than Bellingham? Because he certainly hasn't performed as well from the wing. There's people saying that you have to build the team around Foden, but there's other players that are just as good or better, so why would you base your tactics around shoehorning him into the team?

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Anyone that was ever questioning Messi was just a troll or an idiot (or both).

And for the record, I agree that Southgate makes stupid decisions that hurt England. Foden is a talented enough player, but is he better at the 10 than Bellingham? Because he certainly hasn't performed as well from the wing. There's people saying that you have to build the team around Foden, but there's other players that are just as good or better, so why would you base your tactics around shoehorning him into the team?
Most of the football world agreed with the sentiment.

Don’t know too much about England or how foden has performed for the NT, I just know that if he isn’t performing good enough it’s because his coach is an idiot.

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland

Pep has transformed Gvardiol into a really good attacking leftback who can defend .

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Messi was on Argentina's World Cup squad in 2006 at age 18 when he hadn't even played a full season with Barca's first team yet and he played in every Argentina match in the Copa the year after (incl. the Final). I mean to what exact time are you referring, Messi as a 12 year old?

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Messi was on Argentina's World Cup squad in 2006 at age 18 when he hadn't even played a full season with Barca's first team yet and he played in every Argentina match in the Copa the year after (incl. the Final). I mean to what exact time are you referring, Messi as a 12 year old?
In my time off I had hoped that you learned to read. Ah well.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
In my time off I had hoped that you learned to read. Ah well.
Why don't you try to explain your position instead. I don't remember this time you're referring to. I remember him already being called a "wunderkind" and coming superstar around the WC 2006, similar to Cristiano Ronaldo two years earlier in 2004. While obviously at that particular time he was not yet considered a shoo-in for best player in the world, that clearly had changed by WC 2010 as by then he was widely considered just that. So maybe you're referring to the aftermath of their inglorious defeat by Brazil at the 2007 Copa? But even then I suspect you're referring to a pretty small minority view.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Messi was blamed for everything wrong with the Nt. Many in Argentina felt he wasn’t performing good enough, they would watch him for Barca and wondered why he wasn’t doing in the NT. It was common for many experts to say Messi for Barca wasn’t the same as Messi for Argentina. He was a systems , he needed Xavi and Iniesta to perform etc. it was extremely toxic, many claimed he wasn’t Argentinian but Catalonian. It wasn’t until Sabella came into town and actually put a structure for the team that allowed them to win some games.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Why don't you try to explain your position instead. I don't remember this time you're referring to. I remember him already being called a "wunderkind" and coming superstar around the WC 2006, similar to Cristiano Ronaldo two years earlier in 2004. While obviously at that particular time he was not yet considered a shoo-in for best player in the world, that clearly had changed by WC 2010 as by then he was widely considered just that. So maybe you're referring to the aftermath of their inglorious defeat by Brazil at the 2007 Copa? But even then I suspect you're referring to a pretty small minority view.
He’s referring to the period until 2014 (and for those fools who thought he was gifted the WC golden ball, the 2021 Copa), but at its apex in like 2009-2013 or so, where there were a lot of people clinging to an idea that Messi was a product of Xavi, Iniesta, and Guardiola and his supposedly “poor” performances for Argentina were proof of that. NT performance was a stick to beat Messi with for a long while.

Which is I think pretty clearly what he’s referring to, I suppose you got “he wasn’t making the team” from D2M’s reference to “wasn’t thought of as good enough for the national team”, and so refuted with him being in squads young, but context clues would’ve pretty blatantly indicated that he’s referring to people thinking that poor NT performance is reflective of his ‘real’ quality or smth rather than a national team not getting the most out of him

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad