Management Eugene Melnyk - Lawsuits, rants and more... Part 5 (YOUS)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
Wow what an incredible wiffle…don’t think I’ve seen anything like that here before. @ianmendes gives you a platform to call him out and you decline…I wonder why that is :laugh:

Reactions: Bileur and bert

foggyvisor

Jun 28, 2018
Yes - Phillips said on the record he chose to quit. There is also some smoke around his disinterest for the promotion which is more much evidence than you suggesting Phillips is protecting Melynk after he allegedly fired him or whatever.

you are trying wayyyyy to hard to lynch Melynk. Give him time - he may do it again, but in the meantime don’t make crap up.

Do you ever stop and think that most people but the craziest 1 or 2 posters ever agree with you? Like how do you reconcile that in your own mind?

Reactions: bert and Dionysus

Mark Stones Spleen

Trouba's elbow
Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
Not for nothing but where do you get this sense? Researching the Foundation, articles say - without dispute - that Phillips was brought on to be the executive director aka the head of the foundation with Weir as a senior director. I'd honestly be shocked if Melnyk was involved in any way whatsoever apart from licensing the Senators name for the Foundation to use. The guy's in Barbados like 350 days a year, he couldn't be more absent from Ottawa if he tried.
Do phones not work in Barbados? You make it seem like his physical distance from Ottawa gives Pierre full autonomy to make contract decisions without needing any approval. Dude, it isn't Dorion's preference to give up draft picks regularly for another team to take on salary. Eugene dictates that shit from wherever the f*** he is. And if he has time to do that, shoot videos with Boro, etc, you don't think it's possible that he's meddling with shit like the charity?

Reactions: Bileur and bert

Mark Stones Spleen

Trouba's elbow
Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
A billionaire launches his own charity. (After shuttering his last one under shitty circumstances)
It lasts 5 months.

do you:
1. Blame the donors?
2. Blame yourself for not realizing it was going to take more than 5 months to get off the ground?
3. Blame your billionaire self for not realizing the charity would need seed money during a pandemic?

A real Rorschach test on how you feel about personal responsibility.
I blame everyone for being a cheap ass except for myself even though I also didn't contribute.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Ummm...what do you think Q&A actually stands for?

dealing with the hoard, such bravery. Can just see the high fives now from your colleague as you walk into the media suite s for taking on the untamed masses - one man spoke with many instead of just speaking to many, this adventure is going to get a journalist stick tap. It’s as close to proffesuinal ubermench as they can get. It’s like fighting Ryan Reaves for them

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Just remember, Every journalist who worked at TSN1200 have all said worse things about the Ottawa Fans then the Ottawa owner. True colours.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Do you ever stop and think that most people but the craziest 1 or 2 posters ever agree with you? Like how do you reconcile that in your own mind?

Thanks for your thoughts as insulting as they were intended to be. To answer your question I sometimes look back at posts when people like u have thrown these types of insults. Mainly the Ryan, White and the EK thread group hive
mind type threads. Many of those types of posts have 95% of the posts be terribly wrong. Like loosing EK is bad type stuff. There are common-accusations about knowing nothing about hockey, being crazy etc … many get very insulting. Personally I’ve asked myself often why it is always the most off base posters who feel the need (like you are now) to tell me how wrong or crazy I am. For example now I’m looking at your posts about White and EK to get a sence how accurate or credible your criticism may be. I’ll update shortly.

what comment did I make above in the post you quoted do you believe isn’t factually correct ?
Hint - this is where you probably don’t answer the question.

Edit - a quick scan of your EK/CW hive mind type posts tell me everything I need to know to deal with your question/insult.

Last edited:

Beech

Nov 25, 2020
Did anyone take Mendes up on his offer and joined the discussion?

I have had several interactions with local Ottawa Journalists. Many of you know the shit disturber that I am. I have found them to be very ethical and very committed to their craft. Most have spoken out on issues. And have done so at the expense of their careers in some instances. And have done so against the backdrop of a shrinking market which is making their jobs and lives very hard.

Of the people I have interacted with; Mendes is #1. JR is 2. And people on here may laugh, but Brennan is also honest and does his best. But they have all been beaten down by the forces around them.

Now there are others that I have little respect for. But they too have to navigate the minefield that is their industry.

Believe me when I tell you. Ian Mendes is probably this city's most honest person. I would have zero problem voting for that guy if he ever ran for office. I have an e-mail exchange with that guy that has sent my respect for him through the roof.

the first two words in this threads title is the issue.

Reactions: aragorn

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
13. As has been reported, Chris Phillips resigned from the Senators’ charity because he was upset by the firing of another employee. In addition, several sponsors were upset with owner Eugene Melnyk’s comments on Bob McCown’s podcast last May. At that time, Ottawa city council voted to approve a $2.9-million tax break for a new car dealership in the neighbourhood of Vanier, part of a bigger plan to “stimulate business investment” in the area.
“Here I am paying through the nose in taxes out there and they just gave the Porsche dealer a [$2.9 million] tax break,” Melnyk said. “Give me a break. Give me the tax break. I’m dying out here. I’ve got no fans and I’m still trying to put on a show for everybody…. My point is this. It’s about fairness. It’s not even about the money — it’s the fairness.”
Not everyone disagreed with Melnyk’s stance, but the business community sure did, considering the work that had been put in to get that deal done. Those are advertisers, and there’s going to have to be some fence-mending.

31 Thoughts: Why Blackhawks must publicly address sexual assault allegations - Sportsnet.ca

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
My brain is feeling a bit slow today. Can someone explain what the last part of that blurb means? I'm not sure I understand how the business community, at large, was involved in negotiating the tax break for the Porsche dealership and why that would mean they'd pull their donations to a charity? I feel I'm definitely misreading it so who's able to make sense of this thing for me?

StoicSensFan

ᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ
Feb 6, 2014
My brain is feeling a bit slow today. Can someone explain what the last part of that blurb means? I'm not sure I understand how the business community, at large, was involved in negotiating the tax break for the Porsche dealership and why that would mean they'd pull their donations to a charity? I feel I'm definitely misreading it so who's able to make sense of this thing for me?
They said some sponsors are upset with Melnyks comments about the Porsche dealership. So in short Melnyk probably ends up losing money because of those comments where he complained about not having the same tax break. Hilarious.

Reactions: Gil Gunderson

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Wow what an incredible wiffle…don’t think I’ve seen anything like that here before. @ianmendes gives you a platform to call him out and you decline…I wonder why that is :laugh:
Because the only purpose of the Q & A with a local reporter with a few Senator fans is so Zoom, an upstart technology company can do some advertising & get some name recognition. ;) I don't need to watch television today because I just got my entertainment reading through the last few pages of this thread. :thumbu:

Last edited:
Reactions: bert

SensHulk

May 31, 2016
San Jose, CA
They said some sponsors are upset with Melnyks comments about the Porsche dealership. So in short Melnyk probably ends up losing money because of those comments where he complained about not having the same tax break. Hilarious.

as hilarious and ironic as it is, I agree with @BankStreetParade im not sure I completely follow why the business community is upset by melnyk’s comment about a Porsche dealership. Are they upset that Melnyk took a fight with the city for handing out a tax break that they may be similarly fighting for?

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Last edited:

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
as hilarious and ironic as it is, I agree with @BankStreetParade im not sure I completely follow why the business community is upset by melnyk’s comment about a Porsche dealership. Are they upset that Melnyk took a fight with the city for handing out a tax break that they may be similarly fighting for?

I think the business community may like to keep those types of handouts quite ? Helps them avoid public scrutiny?

Reactions: SensHulk

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
the sens have one of their more upbeat seasons in 5 years and this guy opens his yap ONCE and immediately costs his own team credibility within the community and more $$$ that he so desperately needs. Do the Melnyk sympathizers need more proof of who’s to blame still?

How is asking for a tax break bad/dumb/stupid or whatever you are suggesting ? How do you think the Porsche dealership got the tax break? He’s applied for and requested (and rejected) boat loads of public funding.

SensHulk

May 31, 2016
San Jose, CA
How is asking for a tax break bad/dumb/stupid or whatever you are suggesting ? How do you think the Porsche dealership got the tax break? He’s applied for and requested (and rejected) boat loads of public funding.

I’m not disagreeing with his sentiment but the issue I have is the way he’s gone about it (bitching on radio about the city). And now he’s dug himself a bigger hole so at some point you gotta admit that his approach isn’t working. He opened his mouth once and now you got sponsors that need fence mending. Tell me I’m wrong with this statement.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I’m not disagreeing with his sentiment but the issue I have is the way he’s gone about it (bitching on radio about the city). And now he’s dug himself a bigger hole so at some point you gotta admit that his approach isn’t working. He opened his mouth once and now you got sponsors that need fence mending. Tell me I’m wrong with this statement.

I agree … but I don’t think he’s getting anywhere is he keeps his mouth shot either …

I get the feeling this sponsor stuff is BS Anti sens crap too. I’m sure someone (from the business community) commented on something about it not being helpful but I bet it’s blown way out of proportion as usual.

I get why car dealerships wouldn’t want the public to know about the $3 million handouts … but look what we are talking about … nobody in Ottawa would vote to give a Porsche dealership $3 million but here we are talking about Melynk.

Has anyone even asked why a Porsche dealership gets $3 million? That pays for a good chunk of a school or lots of improvements to community housing or whatever.

Reactions: Cosmix

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Anyway I look forward to further reporting on why the Sens couldn’t keep their prized 5 month old foundation afloat, and why Chris Phillips felt he needed to resign.

It’s a really embarrassing look for the org at a time when we are trying to sign Brady Tkachuk to a long term deal.

haven’t really heard much about that...

I suspect that the Foundation may have paused its activities as a result of the Covid issue and that the impacts of that on the participants was not appreciated. But that is conjecture as I do not know what is going on with the Foundation.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
So what if Ian offered to chat via skype with you instead? or Facetime or one of the other many services that are readily available and that people use on a daily basis. What if it was face to face? Why would you even care if the Athletic is making money from referencing Zoom? That has absolutely nothing to do with the conversation we were having.

I'm 100% serious when I'm saying this, this is personal but my mother is schizophrenic (she cannot work due to manic episodes and just general paranoia), and these are the types of conversations I have with her. Everything is a conspiracy and you will never be able to change her opinion on any given topic. In her mind she is always right no matter what evidence is presented to her, no matter what information she can get her hands on. Conversations go from Z to A and back to Y without any real correlation. The way she interprets everything is fueled by her paranoia and unfortunately one of the elements of this mental illness is that you always think other people don't understand while you're the only one that does. Now I'm definitely not implying that you are because I don't know you and have never met you, but I can tell you that's not a way to live your life always thinking that your opinion is real while disregarding all other opinions and facts. I don't know if you even noticed but you've completely changed the subject now from the original discussion and I'm hoping it's just straight up denial because what you're saying makes absolutely no sense at all.

Sorry to hear about your mother. I know it is very difficult for you to address this issue and help her. The frustration, lack of ability to help, and continuous worry and concern can be very troubling and negatively affect your life. Hopefully both you and your mother will be able to find some assistance and ways for dealing with this disease. I speak with some knowledge from a similar experience.

StoicSensFan

ᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ
Feb 6, 2014
The optics of a billionaire complaining about a Porsche dealership getting handouts while he spent a chunk of covid lockdown cruising on a super yacht are hilarious. "I'm dying over here." How is this guy so oblivious?

Yes I understand the dealership getting 3 mil is shady. But the last person who should be complaining about it is Melnyk.

Last edited:

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Man, I go camping for the weekend and this thread took a wild turn….

Fuuuuuuuuuu….. remember how awesome the team was to close out the season?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad