Management Eugene Melnyk - Lawsuits, rants and more... Part 5 (YOUS)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I assume the small sample size being the short amount of time they've even been up and running makes it difficult to truly say if they were underperforming or if it was just the consequences of starting from scratch fresh off the very public and controversial divorce from the last charity and them immediately becoming a competitor while taking with them the good word of mouth and support of the community. It is a hard situation to judge just how much of an effect that may or may not have had. I didn't see them just sliding over, starting a new foundation, and carrying on as usual after all that, but I also don't have the knowledge to really say.

I have my assumptions but am not prepared to take a strong position on who was wronged here, if anyone, considering the lack of info available yet (if ever as is more likely) but I certainly think and like to point out that Melnyk serves to lose the most with each of these little spats even if he technically were in the right in some instances. Most probably just assume it was melnyk being Melnyk again and never bother to look in to the story much either way, so in the end its just another negative Melnyk/Senators story and another long time player leaving through controversy.

This his fair … you maybe unwilling based on sample size to direct some blame here. Melynk has a lot to lose, Weir lost a job etc.

My issue with the article was it provided no balance to the situation. It painted a picture of Melynk being a Jack ass again.

I think your hinting at it but who is the blame ?

a) the guys that ran it
b) the fans that didn’t support it
c) the owner in Barbados’s

They ran the same type of adds that every market used to raise million of foundation money … I get the “new foundation” piece but as a fan sitting at home in what felt like a year of COVID lockdowns with no place to spend any money I didn’t have any question about where my $5 was going (had I spent $5).

IMO I think this is 90% on the fans. Phillips decline to comment was more about him not slagging a fan base that donated embarrassingly low revenue vs other markets. Mendes article left us thinking his “no comment” was more about not wanting to Slag Melynk for him quitting or being reassigned or whatever.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
You still haven't read the article have you?

Thought I did … what part did I miss on a) the amount of charity the foundation provided to the community b) fiscal position of the foundation c) revenue the foundation collected ? I keep asking but no one answers those questions.

From what I see the foundation may not have raised enough to cover Weir’s salary.

Last edited:

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Well I agree that no body wants to give money to Melynk (foundation money isnt Melynk ??? It’s Weir and little kids and stuff ) … the only question is do Ottawa sports fans want to give money to anyone ??? Melynk doesn’t think so .. OSEG doesn’t think so …

Sens have been here for over 25 years so I think that answers your question. And if that’s not good enough for you, your boy Melnyck said he’d never sell so it must be a good revenue earner because he’s sold all his horses and everything else he owns. He basically owns 2 hockey teams and a perfume business

Reactions: bert

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Sens have been here for over 25 years so I think that answers your question. And if that’s not good enough for you, your boy Melnyck said he’d never sell so it must be a good revenue earner because he’s sold all his horses and everything else he owns. He basically owns 2 hockey teams and a perfume business

You are right - what the sens did 25 years ago (in an era before the Smart phone and with a new building, loaded roster) means very little to me.m or the sens bottom line.

I also don’t take Melynk that serious . When he says he won’t sell I think we all know he will… eventually… Who knows if that is 5 months, 5 years or longer.

My boy Melnky kept this team alive when it was bankrupt and has lost a lot more money on the team than I have. He doesn’t owe me a dime.

Last edited:

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
You are right - what the sens did 25 years ago (in an era before the Smart phone and with a new building, loaded roster) means very little to me.

I also don’t take Melynk that serious . When he says he won’t sell I think we all know he will… eventually… Who knows if that is 5 months, 5 years or longer.

My boy Melnky kept this team alive when it was bankrupt and has lost a lot more money on the team than I have. He doesn’t owe me a dime.

He doesn’t owe you a dime - and you don’t owe him a dime. That’s his attitude to the fans, and the fans attitude to him.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
He doesn’t owe you a dime - and you don’t owe him a dime. That’s his attitude to the fans, and the fans attitude to him.

I agree 100% … he’s not losing any more money here. Every dime the Ottawa markets hold back will be covered with dead cap contracts. The emergence of the shared TV revenue will allow this moving forward covering a good chunk of his operations.

Ottawa fans will have to pay to keep their players … if they don’t … they will be sold off for scrubs, picks and dead cap contracts.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Sure … you know anyone who wants to buy it ?

It’s isn’t an overly attractive idea to purchase the Sens for $0.5 billion. The fans expect you to lose $20 every year and even than probably won’t buy any tickets.

Plus you have the whole “what billionaire hangs out in North Stittsville” thing … I can’t think of many ?
Why ask me a question like that? Seems pretty dumb. I do know that two new franchises have paid massive franchise fees recently, and few other new owners (i.e., Carolina & Buffalo) bought teams in the last 10 years, so there's that.

But, you drone on about the terrible Senator fanbase and how they are cheapskates, so Melnyk should just sell the team. If he's that irked and annoyed by the situation, losing money, etc., why would he continue to aggravate himself?

He paid $92 million for the franchise, so he will make several times that amount. So, he should just sell the team.

Last edited:

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Why ask me a question like that? Seems pretty dumb. I do know that two new franchises have paid massive franchise fees recently, and few other new owners (i.e., Carolina & Buffalo) bought teams in the last 10 years, so there's that.

But, you drone on about the terrible Senator fanbase and how they are cheapskates, so Melnyk should just sell the team. If he's that irked and annoyed by the situation, losing money, etc., why would he continue to aggravate himself?

He paid $92 million for the franchise, so he make several times that amount. So, he should just sell the team.

I ask you that question because bringing up Forbes type value or Seattle type value for the Sens is “stupid” .

There isn’t the level of ownership interest in Ottawa vs Seattle and Vegas. Nobody can make any money on this team paying $500 million.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
I ask you that question because bringing up Forbes type value or Seattle type value for the Sens is “stupid” .

There isn’t the level of ownership interest in Ottawa vs Seattle and Vegas. Nobody can make any money on this team paying $500 million.
Speaking of stupid, I named two other small market teams that were sold and bought lately: a) Pegula bought the Sabres for $189 m ten years ago; and, b) Dundon bought 52% of the Hurricanes in Jan. 2018 for 420 million. These are not Forbes valuations.

You are doing the per usual ignoring info that doesn't fit your narrative and building a false strawman. Nice try. I can't see this discussion progressing to anything productive.

In conclusion, he should avoid further aggravation and sell the team ultimately.

Last edited:
Reactions: bert and Bileur

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Speaking of stupid, I named two other small market teams that were sold and bought lately: a) Pegula bought the Sabres for $189 m ten years ago; and, b) Dundon bought 52% of the Hurricanes in Jan. 2018 for 420 million. These are not Forbes valuations.

You are doing the per usual ignoring info that doesn't fit your narrative and building a false strawman. Nice try. I can't see this discussion progressing to anything productive.

In conclusion, he should avoid further aggravation and sell the team ultimately.

Not at all … your trying to suggest there is an equal ownership interest in a team like Carolin than Ottawa.

That simply isn’t true - US money hasn’t shown any interest in owning the Sens.

No rich dude wants to leave his country club to fly in North Stittsville and lose $20 million while the city calls him cheap because he isn’t losing $30.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Not at all … your trying to suggest there is an equal ownership interest in a team like Carolin than Ottawa.

No rich dude wants to leave his country club to fly in North Stittsville and lose $20 million while the city calls him cheap because he isn’t losing $30.
Well Peltz did make a bid for the Sens, there isn't a lot of transparency in who is interested in buying the sens since though, particularly when the owner denies he has any interest in selling, just rumours, so not sure you can claim the interest doesn't exist. When things aren't for sale, people don't typically announce their intent to buy it.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019

. Melnyk flies from Barbados.

Your making stuff up ....... again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: bert and Dionysus

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Well Peltz did make a bid for the Sens, there isn't a lot of transparency in who is interested in buying the sens since though, particularly when the owner denies he has any interest in selling, just rumours, so not sure you can claim the interest doesn't exist. When things aren't for sale, people don't typically announce their intent to buy it.

I think we can all accept that everything is for sale … especially the Sens. We could argue about the appropriate asking price.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Yawn. Melnyk flies from Barbados.

Your making stuff up ....... again.

Nice try - who do you think he entertains when he is here ? I can see him asking - hey … want to fly to North Stittsville with me in February to watch my hawkey team ?

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
This his fair … you maybe unwilling based on sample size to direct some blame here. Melynk has a lot to lose, Weir lost a job etc.
My issue with the article was it provided no balance to the situation. It painted a picture of Melynk being a Jack ass again.
I think your hinting at it but who is the blame ?
a) the guys that ran it
b) the fans that didn’t support it
c) the owner in Barbados’s
They ran the same type of adds that every market used to raise million of foundation money … I get the “new foundation” piece but as a fan sitting at home in what felt like a year of COVID lockdowns with no place to spend any money I didn’t have any question about where my $5 was going (had I spent $5).
IMO I think this is 90% on the fans. Phillips decline to comment was more about him not slagging a fan base that donated embarrassingly low revenue vs other markets. Mendes article left us thinking his “no comment” was more about not wanting to Slag Melynk for him quitting or being reassigned or whatever.

More trolling from you, shocking.

Please, you “don’t remember” whether you even read the article, how can you claim that your problem with the article was that it provided no balance or painted Melnyk as a jackass?

Let’s be honest, it’s not that you don’t remember whether you read it, you didn’t read it.

You don’t even know what the article says, and despite having clearly not read the article, you went on to make pages upon pages of disingenuous argument about how the fans are to blame while demonstrating your complete disinterest in having an honest discussion on the topic by refusing to address the myriad of points raised in response to your conclusion jumping.

Despite this demonstrated lack of interest in honest discussion, you were then provided an opportunity to speak directly with the author of the article and clarify any “problems” you may have had with the article. You ducked that opportunity like Matt Cooke ducking Chris Neil.

A person who legitimately had a good faith problem with the article would have gladly taken up Ian on his offer, the fact that you didn’t speaks volumes.

Any credibility to your claims of having a “problem” with the article or having an interest in having honest discussion on the topic are long gone.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I think we can all accept that everything is for sale … especially the Sens. We could argue about the appropriate asking price.

Why can we all accept that? We have lots of claims by the current owner that suggest otherwise. Why would "especially the sens" be for sale?

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
If every fan in the city bought season tickets and fifteen 50/50 tickets every game then MAYBE we'd be good enough fans to bring back fan favourites. Maybe.

There are not enough seats in the building for every fan to buy a season tickets. We only need every fan to buy a few tickets.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
money ruined this relationship. Saving $3 million on a legacy player cost the Senators $30 million a year in fan disinterest.

Maybe we could start a GoFundMe page for Alfy so he can have is $3 million and we can get back to funding our payroll?

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Things are back to normal in this thread. The thread lock over the weekend was probably a good idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad